Irak: "The French Were Right"

Well when one immigrates to another country and that nation is kind enough to accept you, then you are obligated to fulfill certain requirements and make certain accommodations I believe.

So in this case, I would say that the French, which includes Muslims, can have the right to determine that a certain level of assimilation is required “culturally” without impinging on anyone’s human rights as in religious freedom. Hard call but again, I leave it to them to decide. It is not really an issue of great importance to me. I can see that is a difficult problem and sympathize with both sides.

And Rascal, are you or are you not coming to fredfest II? I need one German to balance things out. If you claim that you are a communist with terrorist sympathies that would fill three needed categories to prove that we are inclusive and sympathetic to opposing views. Up for it? :moo:

Agree in the general sense, but if a country allows freedom of religion than this shouldn’t become an issue, else you limit that freedom or start discriminating minority (religious) groups.

In Germany we had/have a similar case, a muslim teacher insisting on wearing a veil while working at a government school. I didn’t follow lately but I think they quickly imposed a law against it in the state she was working and other states might follow. It is however entirely appropiate in the same state and their schools to display crosses (often they hang above classroom doors) and for teachers to wear “Jesus loves you” T-Shirts. So if they argue, as they did, a veil can influence the kids then the same should be said about the other symbols.

Personally I could do without all of them, but it should be the same rules for everyone.