Iraqi civilian right to bear arms

[quote=“imyourbiggestfan”]All in all, his only comment seemed to be that the US has a culture of fear that is deliberately perpetuated by the Government and capitalists for profit.*

*Why would people spend more if they are fearful - wouldn’t they just hoard???[/quote]
Michael Moore does not make coherent arguments for or against any of the political positions he addresses. Calling him a clown is an insult to clowns.

I agree.

Yes, I do agree that I have those rights, which are limited only by the affect they may have on another individual’s right to enjoy his same rights.

I was very happy with the decision of the Supreme Court.

The US a strange place with or without M.Moore.

The fact that you can open a bank account and be given a gun as a gift for opening an account is absolutely insane.

What I would like to see is a pro gun (nut) make a film addressing M.Moores film. Somehow I don’t see such a film appearing.

My Canadian friends are forever telling me when they see the insanity that is the US that they are thankful for being Canadian.

But I believe it is a near impossible task in the US ammending gun laws. People see them as almost their own body parts.

A lot more people are saved by them than die – sociologist/criminologist Gary Kleck gives a (heavily researched) figure of 2,000,000 defensive uses of guns per year, compared to about 13,000 deaths (most of which are criminals killing other criminals over drug turf, etc.).

[quote=“imyourbiggestfan”]So, I was eager to watch “Bowling for Columbine.”

Did anyone else find this the most confused piece of documentary ever filmed?[/quote]
Dunno. Didn’t bother to see it. I’d heard too much about it already, and besides, I’d already seen “Roger & Me” (his first “documentary”, about GM’s plant closure in Flint, Michigan).

BTW, as Moore has carefully pointed out, he is not in the business of making documentaries; he is an “entertainer”. This is how he justifies putting out disinformation and other forms of propaganda.

It’s a lot like Michael Bellesiles, the Emory “historian” who lost his job after publishing a bunch of utter nonsense about the “gun culture” in the U.S. in the guise of being historically accurate research (it wasn’t, of course, as was quickly proved).

Alzheimer’s. Janet Reno (the AntiHeston) is the one with Parkinson’s.

[quote=“imyourbiggestfan”]All in all, his only comment seemed to be that the US has a culture of fear that is deliberately perpetuated by the Government and capitalists for profit.*

Still, the one thing I got from it is that some countries are suited to having a right to bear arms - some not. Canada seems to manage with very few killings and widespread gun ownership; the US does not.[/quote]
Canada is a major drug exporter to the U.S.; the Canadian government doesn’t seem to feel a need to crack down on it. Since the market is so large in the U.S., there is little if any point for pot growers to engage in gun battles over market share; they can sell as much as they can grow anyway, so what’s the point? Far better to share a joint and help each other with the harvest.

Meanwhile, the retail outlets in the U.S. do need to fight over market share. Just as Safeway and Albertson’s crowd each other out over groceries, neighborhood drug gangs find that they can increase their profits by eliminating the competition. They just take a more direct approach.

It’s not a “gift”, it is a prepayment of interest on a CD (Certificate of Deposit type account). It’s the same thing as getting a toaster-oven or a fishing rod.

It’s only one bank (or S&L, I forget), though, not an industrywide practice. :slight_smile:

There are a number of internet sites pointing out all of the factual errors in Moore’s nonsense, not to mention his timeshifting and other editing tricks.

One is supposedly collecting donations to do an “answering” film, but I doubt it would get much distribution. Hollywood is very leftist (just count how many actors/actresses threatened to “leave the country” if Bush won – notice how none of them did, though?), and is very opposed to gun ownership among the American population.

A lot more people are saved by them than die – sociologist/criminologist Gary Kleck gives a (heavily researched) figure of 2,000,000 defensive uses of guns per year, compared to about 13,000 deaths (most of which are criminals killing other criminals over drug turf, etc.).

[quote=“imyourbiggestfan”]So, I was eager to watch “Bowling for Columbine.”

Did anyone else find this the most confused piece of documentary ever filmed?[/quote]
Dunno. Didn’t bother to see it. I’d heard too much about it already, and besides, I’d already seen “Roger & Me” (his first “documentary”, about GM’s plant closure in Flint, Michigan).

BTW, as Moore has carefully pointed out, he is not in the business of making documentaries; he is an “entertainer”. This is how he justifies putting out disinformation and other forms of propaganda.

It’s a lot like Michael Bellesiles, the Emory “historian” who lost his job after publishing a bunch of utter nonsense about the “gun culture” in the U.S. in the guise of being historically accurate research (it wasn’t, of course, as was quickly proved).

Alzheimer’s. Janet Reno (the AntiHeston) is the one with Parkinson’s.

Still, the one thing I got from it is that some countries are suited to having a right to bear arms - some not. Canada seems to manage with very few killings and widespread gun ownership; the US does not.[/quote]
Canada is a major drug exporter to the U.S.; the Canadian government doesn’t seem to feel a need to crack down on it. Since the market is so large in the U.S., there is little if any point for pot growers to engage in gun battles over market share; they can sell as much as they can grow anyway, so what’s the point? Far better to share a joint and help each other with the harvest.

Meanwhile, the retail outlets in the U.S. do need to fight over market share. Just as Safeway and Albertson’s crowd each other out over groceries, neighborhood drug gangs find that they can increase their profits by eliminating the competition. They just take a more direct approach.

It’s not a “gift”, it is a prepayment of interest on a CD (Certificate of Deposit type account). [color=red]
It’s the same thing as getting a toaster-oven or a fishing rod.
[/color]
It’s only one bank (or S&L, I forget), though, not an industrywide practice. :slight_smile:

There are a number of internet sites pointing out all of the factual errors in Moore’s nonsense, not to mention his timeshifting and other editing tricks.

One is supposedly collecting donations to do an “answering” film, but I doubt it would get much distribution. Hollywood is very leftist (just count how many actors/actresses threatened to “leave the country” if Bush won – notice how none of them did, though?), and is very opposed to gun ownership among the American population.[/quote]

You don’t believe that for a second do you?

Glad someone posted the above. As Mr Moore pointed out, isn’t there something disturbing about a bank using guns as an incentive to open an account?

Believe what?? You quoted my whole #&*$ post. :?

You don’t HONESTLY believe that a toaster falls in the same “gift” range as a firearm? Do you?

A popping slice of bread may on occasion bruise an eye but does nowhere near the damage a .38 slug does. Plus toasters aren’t that accurate, nor do they have much of a range.

[quote=“Alleycat”]
A popping slice of bread may on occasion bruise an eye but does nowhere near the damage a .38 slug does. Plus toasters aren’t that accurate, nor do they have much of a range.[/quote]

“Toasters don’t kill people, other people do.”

Cork man killed with a toaster

2:30:01 PM

A Cork man who died in a derelict house in the city in 1997 received multiple blows to the head from weapons that included a toaster, a murder trial jury has heard.

William Carroll, aged 52, of no fixed address, pleaded not guilty to the murder of Thomas Harte, aged 40, of Allen

I suppose you’ve got your toaster set to “dark brown.”

Damn right! They’ll take my toaster when… :laughing:

Where’s my damn gun? I have four bank accounts and I ain’t never got no damn gun! Gimme a damn gun so I can shoot all ya’ll’s asses!

Please!!! :laughing:

1sn.com/10times/sextoys/2216.html

[quote=“Alleycat”]You don’t HONESTLY believe that a toaster falls in the same “gift” range as a firearm? Do you?

A popping slice of bread may on occasion bruise an eye but does nowhere near the damage a .38 slug does. Plus toasters aren’t that accurate, nor do they have much of a range.[/quote]
Well, OBVIOUSLY NOT. I only had to deposit US$1000 for a year to get a toaster-oven. For a firearm, it would’ve been US$10,000 for three years. I know this for a fact, since I looked into their program (Bank of Boulder was the place doing it, don’t know if they still do – a quick Google search doesn’t turn them up, but it does list one place in Alabama that copied their idea) – but all they had were Weatherbys, which frankly are crap (“1.5 MOA guaranteed!” Big fat hairy deal, my Remington 700 aggs 0.4 MOA despite my muscle jitters; a good shot could probably get 0.3, and if I were to put a decently-chambered barrel on it and do the usual benchrest machining . . . of course by then, I might as well just call up Russ Haydon and get him to build me something on a Nesika action).

But as far as, what, ethically? morally? whatever you want to call it – yes, it is. It is a chunk of metal and wood.

What makes it any different from buying a gun at a gun store?

“(deleted at insistence of publisher’s lawyer – ed.)”

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]Big fat hairy deal, my Remington 700 aggs 0.4 MOA despite my muscle jitters; a good shot could probably get 0.3, and if I were to put a decently-chambered barrel on it and do the usual benchrest machining . . . of course by then, I might as well just call up Russ Haydon and get him to build me something on a Nesika action).
[/quote]

Oh, stop! You’re making me all hot and bothered with that gun talk, big boy. Mmm. Why don’t you come on ovah and whip it out and I’ll give it a good cleanin fer ya. :?

Muscle jitters? Sounds like a sure shot! “Oops, sorry darlin. I was aimin at that dark-skin crimYnal, tryin to protect mysef, and my dang muscle twitched. Crap! Thar it goes agin.”

Whoa! Blanche DuBois (aka FB):

Take it a little easy on the “gun” talk. It offends my Republican Ears. See you at the State House Ball this year in Charleston?

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]
Oh, stop! You’re making me all hot and bothered with that gun talk, big boy. Mmm. Why don’t you come on ovah and whip it out and I’ll give it a good cleanin fer ya. [/quote]

Oh b-a-b-y! :laughing:

When I hold you in my arms
And I feel my finger on your trigger
I know no one can do me no harm
Because happiness is a warm gun…
- The Beatles

[quote=“fred smith”]Whoa! Blanche DuBois (aka FB):

Take it a little easy on the “gun” talk. It offends my Republican Ears. See you at the State House Ball this year in Charleston?[/quote]

I’ve always depended on the kindness of strangers’ big guns, to uh, to protect me. :shock:

No Charleston balls this year darlin, Fred. I’m takin off on a Rome Adventure. Wonder if Italian men have big guns too.

:o

[quote=“blueface666”]

When I hold you in my arms
And I feel my finger on your trigger
I know no one can do me no harm
Because happiness is a warm gun…
- The Beatles[/quote]

blueballs,
I’m afraid you’re missing the irony of john lennon’s lyrics. especially since he was KILLED with a warm fuckin gun! :smiling_imp: