Iraqi Death Squads Now a Reality?

Iraqi Interior Ministry using death squads to keep the people down – apparently the “Salvadorean Option” has been put into practice.

[quote]The incident is the first hard evidence to support the widely held suspicion among Sunni Arabs that vigilantes in the country’s Shiite-dominated police force are rounding up Sunnis and killing them.

The bodies of Sunni men – bound, shot in the head and left in dumpsters, on side streets and in patches of desert – have turned up frequently since the middle of last year, shortly after the Shiite-led government was named in April. Such discoveries have been made almost daily in recent months, and police found four bodies on Thursday, two of them in Baghdad, according to the Reuters news agency.[/quote]

MFGR, why is “US-planned” in the title of this thread?

A hope? A suspicion?

Seems, according to the article, that the US and Iraqis caught these guys.

This title is ridiculous. I know its friday, but this is just plain stoopid.

So this is not about US death squats.

Well, I wouldn’t mind a US death squat presenting a few heads.

Having beards and wearing bathroom towels and stuff.

But this is about something totally different.

and now for something … totally different (John Cleese)

[quote=“jdsmith”]MFGR, why is “US-planned” in the title of this thread?

A hope? A suspicion?

Seems, according to the article, that the US and Iraqis caught these guys.[/quote]

It was a few months back that the “Salvadorean” option was being planned out and discussed by the U.S. for use in Iraq. That the idea of using death squads was planned out is not really deniable at this point and there has already been extensive discussion within the IP forums.

That death squads in the current time have shown up as a reality should reasonably not be too much of a mystery. The question mark in the title is a reasonable nod to the possibility that these particular death squads may or may not be the ones that the U.S. planned on. However, the fact remains that the U.S. planned death squads for Iraq and ended up having them should raise questions among those of us Americans who think that death squads are not what America is about.

But, hey, if you want to play ostrich on this one, that wouldn’t be the first cop-out I’ve seen in the IP forums. For that matter, I guess the entire Bush administration’s way of operating requires not only a massive suspension of disbelief but also a highly selective memory. Enjoy your premature amnesia! :wink: