Iraq's Buttloads of Cash

[quote]WASHINGTON — The Iraqi government could end the year with as much as a $79 billion budget surplus as ever-increasing oil revenues pile on top of leftover income the Iraqis still haven’t spent on their national rebuilding effort, congressional auditors say.

A report by the Government Accountability Office made public Tuesday prompted renewed calls from senators that Baghdad pay more of the bill for its own reconstruction, which has been heavily supported with U.S. funds.

The projected Iraq surplus, including unspent money from 2005 through 2008, has been building because of rising world oil prices, increasing Iraqi oil production, the government’s inability to execute budgets for spending its money and persistent violence in the country, the GAO said.

The report was requested by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Sen. John Warner, R-Va., the chairman and ranking member, respectively, of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“The Iraqi government now has tens of billions of dollars at its disposal to fund large-scale reconstruction projects,” Levin said in a statement. “It is inexcusable for U.S. taxpayers to continue to foot the bill for projects the Iraqis are fully capable of funding themselves.”

“It is time for the sovereign government of Iraq, using its revenues, expenditures and surpluses, to fully assume the responsibility to provide essential services and improve the quality of life for the Iraqi people,” Warner said.[/quote]
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,398464,00.html
Cool. Not a bad amount of dough for a country that just went through a war and a terrorist insurgency.

Time to buy some air time on CNN and the beeb and proclaim the war and insurgency officially over.

Mission Accomplice.

Cool. Not a bad amount of dough. . . .[/quote]

Yea, not bad when you consider the Iraq war is costing US taxpayers $3 trillion.

That’s Dick Cheney’s mad money. You leave it alone.

[quote=“Surly”]
Cool. Not a bad amount of dough for a country that just went through a war and a terrorist insurgency.

Time to buy some air time on CNN and the beeb and proclaim the war and insurgency officially over. [/quote]
Officially over? Did you actually read the article? I will quote the relevant parts, adding those you left out, and highlight them for you:

Yeah, I bet there’s more violence in the US on the whole. And “over” is a state of media.

They have 79billion dollars. That’s a good start at being to assume control of their country right?

[quote=“Surly”]Yeah, I bet there’s more violence in the US on the whole. And “over” is a state of media.

They have 79billion dollars. That’s a good start at being to assume control of their country right?[/quote]
The money might be helpful but unless they get their secretarian issues sorted out and start acting like a proper and responsible goverment I don’t think it will make a big difference. Probably most of it goes into someone’s pocket rather than being used for the benefit of the people.

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“Surly”]Yeah, I bet there’s more violence in the US on the whole. And “over” is a state of media.

They have 79billion dollars. That’s a good start at being to assume control of their country right?[/quote]
The money might be helpful but unless they get their secretarian issues sorted out and start acting like a proper and responsible goverment I don’t think it will make a big difference. Probably most of it goes into someone’s pocket rather than being used for the benefit of the people.[/quote]

Iraq will always have sectarian issues, just like the US will always have immigrations issues. Having buttloads of money to build roads and schools and get the remaining infrastructure up to par is a good thing.

Cash is good grease.