Irish Whiskey

I can’t find anything other than Tullamore Dew (brrr…), Jameson or Bushmills, anybody know whether there’s a place that has the good stuff? Doesn’t have to be a Midleton right away, but it wouldn’t be the worst either … :smiley: TTFN, Xpet.

If an expensive bottle is what you’re looking for, there’s a liquor store at 152 Roosevelt Rd. Sec 3 (right near Taipower MRT). It looks like they specialize in Scotches and Whiskeys.

Nothing wrong with Bush… er I mean the whiskey.

No, nothing wrong with it, but it might be nice to have a really good one once in a while …

UD, there are many many places that sell “expensive bottles” of whiskey, sadly they’re mostly crap! :smiley:

Thanks anyway, Xpet.

The Irish don’t know how to make whisky. Can’t even spell it correctly. Same goes for the yanks. I suggest you treat yourelf to a nice bottle of Glenmorangie single malt. That’ll put you right.

Have no idea where you might find such a thing though.

Thanks, I’ve seen & had Glanmorangie, could be bought in a couple of stores back in Hsinchu. It’s not bad, true. I’m actually having something similar right now, Auchentoshan; had never heard of it before but it’s quite drinkable. Anybody know what kind of name that is?

:banana: off. :laughing:

The Irish are so eloquent, don’t you think? Must be from drinking all that crap whisky.

Mate, use it to clean sticky tape off the walls, and old chewing gum from under the toilet seat, but don’t let a single drop more of the stuff pass your lips. Actually, you could use it to clean the toilet with. Not only are you dispensing with the middle man, you’re saving yourself a lot of unpleasantness too. And you can use the time saved to sample a few scotches!! :smiley:

[quote]Auchentoshan; had never heard of it before but it’s quite drinkable. Anybody know what kind of name that is?
[/quote]
According to their website it means ‘corner of the field’ in gaelic.

Highland Park is another great whisky as is Isle of Jura.

So Jameson’s can’t be found anymore at the liquor store close to where I work. I’m not too impressed with Bushmills but may give the white label another go sometime. What else is available in Taiwan?

There’s a few new brands in that 酒桶 off license chain。 Jameson various labels, Teelings, bunch of other stuff some of which I never heard of.

1 Like

Nice. There’s one such store right where I get off the train. I always had the impression that 酒桶 was a bit on the expensive side and so always avoided the store. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

It wasn’t expensive when I checked the prices.
Maybe different chain, I don’t know ?
酒条通洋酒

Irish range…
https://www.609.com.tw/News/Detail2/0201b

I think we’re talking of the same place. The franchise with outlets that are always empty and leave you wondering how they stay in business! (I heard a rich family but can’t confirm.)

The local place is nicely lit and had some patrons, I think there’s good money in liquor.

I’ll check soon. Thanks.

1 Like

fwiw, Costco has brought back Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair, a sherried Scotch single malt that’s a little sweeter and creamier than most Scotch whiskies.

You might give it a try. At NT$849 I think it may be the best value in Taiwan, at least in my part of the island.

3 Likes

I’m not Scottish but I may as well be I’m probably the only person who can understand what the name of their whiskey means . :grinning:

Yeah I have no clue.

I read a comment somewhere along the lines of “fortunately it’s much more pleasant to drink than to pronounce,” … and I can only vouch that it tastes great since I also have no idea how to pronounce it, either. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Here’s a handy primer for many whiskies.
Ard = High
Mor = Big
Beag (Beg) = Little
Abhainn = River (pronounced Oww-In)
Ban = White (pronounced Bawwnn)
Glen = Valley (easy one)
Lough = Lake
Sliabh (Sleve)= Mountain

…And

Uisce Beatha = Whiskey

4 Likes