Irony Alert

Read this op-ed in the Taipei Times on Friday:

“America’s blinders mean it is ill-prepared for an Asian future”

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 03563594/2

Usual “Asia rising, America in decline” but this caught my eye:

The author?

I love that bit about “special obligation”.
What rot!
More like instinct, such pissing on the door of any and all deans.
Not that I have ever done such a foul, seditous deed.
:whistle:

IF China and India and Japan got on then the author has a point. But they don’t, so he has none.

There is a rebalance yes, but the US and some other parts of the West are not in decline.

It takes a lot more than a big population to be leaders.

who was the Taiwanese politician that referred to Singapore as a flea on China’s nuts?

Don’t know,but I like it :slight_smile: Did he use the word LP?.

MarK Chen
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003204697

Just wondering what would be the equivalent of a lecture about the need for intellectuals to speak truth to power coming from the dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy .

A lecture on the need for religious tolerance from the dean of the Ayatollah Khomenei School of Ecumenical Studies?

MarK Chen
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003204697[/quote]

Totally off topic, but…

I just read that article. All this time I thought the kids giggling and saying “LP” referred to penis, but it actually means testicles? (卵葩)

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]
Totally off topic, but…

I just read that article. All this time I thought the kids giggling and saying “LP” referred to penis, but it actually means testicles? (卵葩)[/quote]

Technically, LP (卵葩: lan pa) refers to the whole “nutsack.” If we are being specific, the testicles are called “lan hut”.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]
Totally off topic, but…

I just read that article. All this time I thought the kids giggling and saying “LP” referred to penis, but it actually means testicles? (卵葩)[/quote]

Technically, LP (卵葩: lan pa) refers to the whole “nutsack.” If we are being specific, the testicles are called “lan hut”.[/quote]

That weird moment in which you realizw you know how to say “scrotum” in Mandarin but still can’t remember how to say “oranges”.