Irony

As you surely know, people use the word “irony” improperly all the time.

Food service too slow? “Isn’t that ironic.” Wife’s bitchy. “Don’t get ironic with me.” Crappy bonus this year? “How ironic.” Whatever. Super genius Amy Chua’s guilty of it, too. After she got thoroughly attacked for her article advocating child abuse she recanted and claimed the piece was supposed to be “ironic.” WTF? Ironic? Sure, it would make sense if she said it was meant to be satirical (though I wouldn’t quite believe it), but ironic? I don’t get it.

Anyway how’s this for irony?

[quote]The trial of a [color=#FF0080]New York television executive accused of beheading his wife [/color]starts Tuesday.

Authorities learned about the incident in February 2009 when Muzzammil Hassan went to a police station in the Buffalo, New York, suburb of Orchard Park and told officers his wife was dead, police have said.

[color=#FF0080]Hassan, who founded a TV network aimed at countering Muslim stereotypes[/color], took officers to the network’s office where officers found the decapitated body of his wife, Aasiya Hassan.

Hassan has pleaded not guilty to the charge of second-degree murder in the case.[/quote]
edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/18 … google_cnn

Oops. :blush:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Anyway how’s this for irony?

[quote]The trial of a [color=#FF0080]New York television executive accused of beheading his wife [/color]starts Tuesday.

Authorities learned about the incident in February 2009 when Muzzammil Hassan went to a police station in the Buffalo, New York, suburb of Orchard Park and told officers his wife was dead, police have said.

[color=#FF0080]Hassan, who founded a TV network aimed at countering Muslim stereotypes[/color], took officers to the network’s office where officers found the decapitated body of his wife, Aasiya Hassan.

Hassan has pleaded not guilty to the charge of second-degree murder in the case.[/quote]
edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/18 … google_cnn[/quote]
Less ironic if you consider the possibility that he didn’t kill his wife, and instead she was killed by religious nuts trying to terrorize him and his TV station’s efforts.

[quote=“Chris”]
Less ironic if you consider the possibility that he didn’t kill his wife, and instead she was killed by religious nuts trying to terrorize him and his TV station’s efforts.[/quote]
I guess that depends on what kind of religious nuts did it…

The free dictionary defines it this way

Ironic:

1. humorously sarcastic or mocking;
  • Example: “dry humor”
  • Example: “an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely”
  • Example: “an ironic novel”
  • Example: “an ironical smile”
  • Example: “with a wry Scottish wit”
    [syn: dry, ironic, ironical, wry]
  1. characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is;
  • Example: “madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker”
  • Example: “it was ironical that the well-planned scheme failed so completely”
    [syn: ironic, ironical]

So, according to definition 1, it’s being used correctly. Isn’t that ironic? (according to definition 2.)

Didn’t someone named Alanis Morrissette write a song some years ago giving numerous examples of irony?

Just being facetious :wink:

She a Chinese lady. So she do irony. She also do washy.

[quote=“Taigottawanna”]Didn’t someone named Alanis Morrissette write a song some years ago giving numerous examples of irony?

[/quote]
None of which were actual examples of irony, thus the OP’s complaint.

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Taigottawanna”]Didn’t someone named Alanis Morrissette write a song some years ago giving numerous examples of irony?

[/quote]
None of which were actual examples of irony, thus the OP’s complaint.[/quote]

I was being facetious :bow:

From one of my favorite comedians:

Yo I’m MC Doesn’t Know What Irony Is
Walked up to a girl and I gave her a kiss
She said “Let’s go to your place, I’ll suck your dick”
I said “Hell yeah bitch, that’s so ironic”

some what NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4zF36dPxE

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Taigottawanna”]Didn’t someone named Alanis Morrissette write a song some years ago giving numerous examples of irony?

[/quote]
None of which were actual examples of irony, thus the OP’s complaint.[/quote]

Ah, but the song was being ironic in that it didn’t actually mention anything that was ironic even though it claimed it was. Anyway, there were plenty of hidden ironical phrases in the song, it’s just that they were never explicitly sung:

An old man turned ninety-eight. He won the lottery and died the next day… of chronic emphysema from inhalation of the latex particles scratched off decades’ worth of lottery tickets.…It’s ironic

A black fly in your Chardonnay… poured to celebrate the successful fumigation of your recently purchased vineyard in southern France.
…It’s ironic

A death row pardon two minutes too late… [i]because the governor was too busy watching Dead Man Walking to grant clemency any earlier.

[/i]…it’s ironic

and so on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

I looked and looked for the old SNL episode with Jason Alexander hosting “Tales of Irony” (a sort of “Masterpiece Theatre” kind of show), but alas, it was nowhere!

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Anyway how’s this for irony?

edition.CNN.com/2011/CRIME/01/18 … google_cnn[/quote]
Less ironic if you consider the possibility that he didn’t kill his wife, and instead she was killed by religious nuts trying to terrorize him and his TV station’s efforts.[/quote]

The guy was just convicted yesterday.

How about this one – ironic?

[quote]California man killed by armed bird at cockfight

A man who was at an illegal cockfight in central California died after being stabbed in the leg by a bird that had a knife attached to its own limb, officials confirmed Monday. . .[/quote]

contracostatimes.com/califor … ck_check=1

My life has been filled with irony.

Return to the States for a better job and life only to arrive during the recession. Pffft.

Ah, so you found a better job and life then?

Now this is irony.

Woman who dies in car cash had no license

The woman who was killed when her car slammed into the back of a stalled school bus on the Dan Ryan Expressway Wednesday afternoon did not have a driver’s license because of her poor driving record, according to state officials.

Nearly pissed myself. :roflmao:

Nearly pissed myself. :roflmao:[/quote]
:thumbsup: Yep, I also liked it.

Ah, now you see, this is where culture and regional dialect comes in. In South Africa that wouldn’t be ironic at all. In SA, that would mean that a guy from California had gone to a Western Province rugby game at Newlands in Cape Town, where he was killed (possibly knifed) by an armed woman. Probably wouldn’t even make the news, let alone the Irony Pages. It would also mean he was wearing something other than this:

If he had been wearing the above apparel and still got knifed to death by a woman (other than his SO), then that might be ironic. :idunno:

Ah, now you see, this is where culture and regional dialect comes in. In South Africa that wouldn’t be ironic at all. In SA, that would mean that a guy from California had gone to a Western Province rugby game at Newlands in Cape Town, where he was killed (possibly knifed) by an armed woman. [/quote]
In a similar vein, I liked some of the other headlines for that article, such as:

Man Stabbed to Death by Cock

Yikes! :astonished:

Ah, now you see, this is where culture and regional dialect comes in. In South Africa that wouldn’t be ironic at all. In SA, that would mean that a guy from California had gone to a Western Province rugby game at Newlands in Cape Town, where he was killed (possibly knifed) by an armed woman. [/quote]
In a similar vein, I liked some of the other headlines for that article, such as:

Man Stabbed to Death by Cock

Yikes! :astonished:[/quote]
:roflmao: Then again, also not ironic, just being “saucy”. :howyoudoin: (Depending on your orientation, of course.)