Is 1 way ticket to Taiwan okay, if I also have ticket to HK?

[color=#BF0080]First, I’m sorry for my poor English.
I’m 23 years old girl from Lithuania…
I already have 1 way ticket to Taiwan (on July 14th). Me and my boyfriend want to get married there (my boyfriend is Taiwanese). But only now I got to know that I cannot enter Taiwan if I have only 1 way ticket… I cannot get the money back for a ticket, so I am thinking to buy 2 way ticket to Hong Kong, to go there before my 60 days visitor visa expires, and to come back to Taiwan after spending a few days in Hong Kong. I do not need visa to Hong Kong, and I should get 30 days visa if I can enter Taiwan again.
I want to ask, maybe someone had the same situation, and could tell me if it would be okay if I buy a ticket to Hong Kong?.. Because I have only few weeks left - I have to decide everything soon.
Or should I not tell at the immigration that I’m planing to go back to Taiwan after going to Hong Kong?..
I hope that somebody can help me, because I feel really confused now… [/color] :ponder:

[quote=“Rainbou”][color=#BF0080]First, I’m sorry for my poor English.
I already have 1 way ticket to Taiwan (on July 14th). Me and my boyfriend want to get married there (my boyfriend is Taiwanese). But only now I got to know that I cannot enter Taiwan if I have only 1 way ticket… I cannot get the money back for a ticket, so I am thinking to buy 2 way ticket to Hong Kong, to go there before my 60 days visitor visa expires, and to come back to Taiwan after spending a few days in Hong Kong. I do not need visa to Hong Kong, and I should get 30 days visa if I can enter Taiwan again.
I want to ask, maybe someone had the same situation, and could tell me if it would be okay if I buy a ticket to Hong Kong?.. Because I have only few weeks left - I have to decide everything soon.
Or should I not tell at the immigration that I’m planing to go back to Taiwan after going to Hong Kong?..
I hope that somebody can help me, because I feel really confused now… [/color] :ponder:[/quote]

1. Congratulations and welcome!

2. Your boyfriend should take care of everything for you, specially asking around for your current dilemma, shouldn’t he?

3. I don’t quite get what you mean. A round trip ticket from where to Hong Kong?

4. For what a visa is, as long as you get a nation’s visa according to the requirements fulfilled, you can enter that nation anytime, isn’t it? And I believe one of the requirement for Taiwan visa is flight ticket, so that means it is already ckecked. I don’t think our passport control ever checks on tickets. The immigrant officer only sits behind a counter and checks there is valid visa and a valid passport, and he/she will put a stamp on your passport and let you in. Your description sounds a little strange. Where did you get this information?

5. To make things simple and happy, buy another long-term back-trip ticket from Taiwan to LT, for visiting your families back there within a year. If you don’t have enough money, make your boyfriend pay because he’s your husband already when you’re visiting back LT.

Have a happy life in Taiwan! :thumbsup:

Yes, I think it’s okay to come to Taiwan with a one way ticket if you have a one way ticket to HK, too. A RT ticket to Hong Kong is also fine, but you have the same problem comming back from to Taiwan from HK I suppose, right? After you marry your boyfriend you shouldn’t have any of these problems any longer, though. Best of luck to you!

FWIW, I (American) just entered Taiwan with a one way ticket with no trouble because I was traveling with my Taiwanese son.

Something else important for foreigners to register the marriage and naturalize in Taiwan: Some documents must be prepared. Info here: ris.gov.tw/ch7/na3.pdf

[quote=“Rainbou”][color=#BF0080]First, I’m sorry for my poor English.
I hope that somebody can help me, because I feel really confused now… [/color] :ponder:[/quote]

Hi there,

First, yes, the ticket to Hong Kong fulfills the “onward ticket” requirement of applying for a visa. Make sure that it’s refundable, because if you’re able to do your marriage paperwork quickly you won’t need it.

If you do need it, and end up in Hong Kong ready to come back on a second visitor visa, do NOT come back on a Landing Visa or Visa-exempt entry (boca.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=53 … DSD=7&mp=2). These are the visas issued at the airport and they are non-extendable and it’s not possible to change them into resident visas. You will need to visit the TECO office in Hong Kong and apply for a new visa.

It’s many many years since I considered the paperwork necessary to obtain a resident visa in Taiwan through marriage, but I would advise you to follow golf’s advice, prepare all the documents NOW, and try your best to complete the process before your first 60 days are up.

Good luck!

Really?? Because that’s exactly what I’m thinking of doing. I plan on coming in August from the USA, and obtaining my visitor visa by showing them an itinerary of San Francisco to TPE, then 60 days later TPE to Hong Kong.

[quote=“jallands”][quote=“spaint”]
yes, the ticket to Hong Kong fulfills the “onward ticket” requirement of applying for a visa.
[/quote]

Really?? Because that’s exactly what I’m thinking of doing. I plan on coming in August from the USA, and obtaining my visitor visa by showing them an itinerary of San Francisco to TPE, then 60 days later TPE to Hong Kong.[/quote]

And I got the visa, so I guess it does work! Thanks.