Hello. I have not been in Taiwan since 1991 so please bear with me. Back then I taught English without a degree and therefore without a work permit. I did OK for myself, no doubt due to huge demand for ESL instruction. I recently finished my B.A. in Humantities. I do NOT have any ESL certificates. I am from the USA. I also have a few years of experience in the investment fund field.
- Am I limited to English teaching with this experience?
- Is there a huge demand for business English so I don’t have to teach children? I prefer teaching adults.
- Do I need Mandarin to work in anything but teaching?
- Is the 30 day visa free entry enough time to sort out work and the work visa? (I am told the 60 day stay, multiple-entry 5 year validity visa is still available to Americans (only??), but no longer for free like it was when I last held one. Apparently now it costs $USD100.
- Should I find a backpacker hostel in Taipei, settle in, and ask around who is hiring like I did in the 90’s or is the internet before arrival the way to go?
- Do I need an employment agent?
- Is Taipei really the best place to stay and work?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.