Is 71000 NT$ per month gross or net salary?

Again, off the top of my head, but around 1000 a month each for health and labor insurance.

1 Like

Why are you asking us instead of the person who has offered you this position?

Guy

3 Likes

Just ask the admin people, but deductions to 70k wouldn’t be much. Maybe 5k when you include tax and health insurance.

If the OP is subjected to the flat (not progressive) tax rate, in the first calendar year he’ll be dinged for way more than that.

Guy

1 Like

That’s only half true. If you spend less than 183 days in the country you’re taxed at the flat 20% (18%?) rate, but you won’t get any back because you’re not entitled to tax deductions and exemptions until you’re paying resident taxes (spend more than 183 days in the country in that calendar year to qualify).

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if it’s net or gross, it’s still waaaay too low to make the move unless you have personal reasons to be here( wife, gf, etc)

Your apartment alone will be 30k, then factor in 500 for weekdays for food, and perhaps an extra 1000 on weekends each day.

1 Like

:popcorn:

2 Likes

You ruined my self restraint.

Why would his rent need to be so high? I’ve rented decent 4 bedroom places in Taipei for under 20K, and he only needs one bedroom.

He might get free meals at the school cafeteria, too. Perhaps Biggus can chime in.

1 Like

4 bedrooms in Taipei for less than 20?

I own my place so I’m not that familiar, but my impression is that it’s far higher than that. Just a room in a shared apartment would put you back 12-15k in Taipei

Perhaps if his university is not in taipei he could find something cheaper, but as far as I can recollect most of the uni’s are in daan

2 Likes

It was in New Taipei, but not far from Daan at all and close to the MRT.

In my experience getting information like this out of universities can be tough: a combination of language difficulties, bureaucratic inertia, “it’s always someone else’s problem”, and not knowing how things work for foreigners. Or how things work in general.

Oof. Thanks - that’s an important correction, and is something I’d either forgotten or never really understood. And assuming 20% (is it 18% now?) deducted from taxes for the first six months of 2021 (but that’d be refunded in 2022, right?), that’ll make things tight for the first year or so - you’d be living off about 56,000 a month, assuming no other income. In the countryside, probably OK, but in Taipei, tough. I hope the OP is coming here with money in the bank to pay for start-up costs.

Universities are everywhere, all over the island. Mind you, the long-term stability of many of those schools is in question, what with falling birthrates.

2 Likes

I know, I just kind of assumed it would be one of the better/more prestigious ones if he is coming from overseas…

1 Like

There’s probably already a meal allowance within the OP’s 71k a month.

They often give folks housing too.
But the OP is too **** to provide any details.

busy?

3 Likes

vague

As @lostinasia wrote, they dont have a clue. Admin refers me to Taiwanese co-workers, they refer me to admin. Vicious cycle of misinformation.

2 Likes

Don’t sweat the small things in life. Come and do your thing. When it comes time to pay your taxes all shall be revealed

2 Likes

Who can provide me information about that at my institution?