Is A-Bian a big fat liar or the victim of defamation?

Former corporate bigwig in Taiwan, Chen Yu-Hao, who fled the country in 1996 rather than attend his trial for embezzling NT$800 from a Taiwan company under his control, now claims from hiding in California that he donated at least NT$20 million to the DPP but the DPP maintains it was only $10 million.

Granted, Chen Yu-Hao is probably a liar, a thief and a coward, but is there any truth to his story? Did A-Bian or someone else in the DPP pocket NT$10 million and defame the scoundrel, or is the story totally false? Yu-Hao claims that he filed lawsuits against A-Bian in California, and the media claims the huge drop in Taiwan’s stock market yesterday was due to a press conference that he held.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003102629

Will the California lawsuits proceed? Will this story continue? Will A-Bian be harmed by it? Or is it just the latest in the long line of completely absurd and fabricated charges made by another wacko Taiwanren and nothing will ever come of it? (The timing sure looks suspicious.)

Given that he has yet to provide one iota of evidence to back up his allegations, THIS is all I have to go on:

This baseless “story” would’ve died a quiet death long ago if it weren’t for relentless coverage by the United Daily News. Anyone remember the UDN’s other famous piece of investigative reporting: A-Bian’s alleged visits to the whorehouses in Macau? Funny how that story also just happened to come out right before an election.

Has Chen Yu-Hao promised to kill himself if his allegations are proved untrue? I wouldn’t be surprised if he had. That’s a classic.

Hm? I thought A-Bian already admitted that they took the $20 million.
Taking the money isn’t illegal in this case, just makes A-Bian a liar since
he claimed at first that they didn’t take the money.

Indeed he did. He promised to jump from a skyscraper if his charges are false. Mrs. A-Bian said if that’s what he wants to do I’m not going to stop him. :laughing:

Um – did you read the article?

For those who are gluttons for punishment, here’s a detailed analysis of the case from today’s China Times:

news.chinatimes.com/Chinatimes/n … 15,00.html

Excerpt:

Conclusion of the article: Chen Yu-Hao is a liar and a thief (:rainbow:), and a master manipulator trying to affect the outcome of the election (quelle surprise!)

The only part of Chen Yu-Hao’s claim that has yet to be disproved: that he visited A-Bian’s wife at her residence in 1994. yawn

Why on earth should we give any credence whatsoever to politically contrived allegations from that repulsive toad of a gutless mega-fraudster on the run from justice, who has bilked Taiwanese banks, investors and taxpayers out of billions of dollars and shamelessly thrown in his lot with the enemy totalitarian regime across the Taiwan Strait? Just looking at that obscene face of his being given blanket exposure in all the anti-Chen, anti-Taiwanese media makes my skin crawl more than the sight of a pit full of maggoty, rat-eaten corpses.

One of the most astonishing aspects of the whole stinking business is that there was clearly nothing illegal about the DPP’s receipt and handling of the modest donations he tossed their way, whereas there are huge questions about the ten times larger amounts that he gave to his cronies in the pan-blue camp, not to mention what happened to that money and the benefits that he received in return – yet no one’s paying the slightest attention to the latter, and all the muck is being hurled in just one direction at Chen and the pan-greens.

But I’m afraid there are many among the Taiwanese electorate who are so mule-stupid that they’ll believe this crook’s lies no matter what Chen and those around him may say or do, and that it’s inevitably going to end up costing the pan-green ticket a lot of votes and put another nail in the coffin of their re-election hopes.

Taiwan gov must surely have asked the U.S. to send him back to Taiwan for trial. What reason does the U.S. give for not handing him over?

A cynic would say that CYH has kicked up this fuss just so he can claim he is being persecuted for political reasons. He knows this will reduce his chances of getting hauled kicking and screaming back to Taiwan for a lengthy stay on Green Island.

There’s no extradition treaty between the US and Taiwan.

It is my understanding that the US is home to many such scoundrels who embezzled fortunes in Taiwan and then fled to a comfortable retirement in the states, because there is no extradition treaty between the two countries. Therefore, the guy who stole $100 million from Lee & Li, this guy, and all the others, can flee to the states and enjoy the good life without any fear of being brought to justice. If I’m wrong about that I’d be very curious to hear why.

There’s no extradition treaty between the US and Taiwan.[/quote]
But the prick did claim at his LA press conference that the Taipei rep offices in the US are secretly negotiating with the US authorities for permission to grab him and ship him back to Taiwan.
There’s no reason to disbelieve him as his honesty is beyond question-- after all, he’s listed as the top taxpayer in mainland China.

It tells you something about the KMT when all these fugitives support the party’s candidate from on the lam.

That’s right, MT. The only thing the US and Taiwan currently have is the Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters between Taiwan and the United States that was signed in 2002. This agreement, the first one of a judicial nature signed between the US and Taiwan, lays a legal foundation for bilateral cooperation in criminal investigation matters, such as taking testimony, exchanging documents, locating and identifying witnesses and suspects, and providing any other form of assistance not contrary to the laws of the territory of the requested party.

I’m sure I read about a case where Taiwan cops had handed over an American citizen to the FBI in a parental abduction case, even when a Taiwan court had said the man in question had custody of the child. Sorry I can’t remember the precise details.

My point is that even without an extradition treaty it would seem Taiwan is quite happy to hand over suspects to America. Perhaps if Taiwan was less forthcoming in the future in this regard they might have a bit more leverage when it comes to getting important fugitives like CYH.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Or is it just the latest in the long line of completely absurd and fabricated charges made by another wacko Taiwanren and nothing will ever come of it? (The timing sure looks suspicious.)[/quote]

I will take any bets this is the case.

[quote=“Spack”]I’m sure I read about a case where Taiwan cops had handed over an American citizen to the FBI in a parental abduction case, even when a Taiwan court had said the man in question had custody of the child. Sorry I can’t remember the precise details.

My point is that even without an extradition treaty it would seem Taiwan is quite happy to hand over suspects to America. Perhaps if Taiwan was less forthcoming in the future in this regard they might have a bit more leverage when it comes to getting important fugitives like CYH.[/quote]

Like the way they cooperated with US authorities to return the murderers of Henry Liu to the US? (cough cough) Bullshit! I’m not aware of Taiwan having ever returned a Chinese to ANY country to face criminal charges.

Actually, I recall what Spack is talking about, but I think the guy voluntarily turned himself in and agreed to be extradited. I believe he was suspected of murder and apparently his conscience was bothering him. But if its not voluntary the government may not have the legal right to force him to return.

EDIT: Yes, here’s the story:

FBI says Kimmick extradited next week
February 13, 2004

The FBI expects Bethel murder suspect William Kimmick to be extradited to the United States from Taiwan next week. Kimmick is being extradited because he is wanted on federal charges of fleeing to avoid prosecution, Christopher Mulhall, FBI special agent supervisor, said Friday from Albany, N.Y.

Vermont State Police named Kimmick, 36, as the prime suspect in the killing of his ex-wife, Kathryn Kimmick, 41, after her body was recovered Jan. 24 in Bethel. . . On Jan. 26, police said Kimmick had fled the country and they were working with the FBI and U.S. Customs Service to locate him.

Kimmick turned himself to police in Kenting, a town in southern Taiwan, on Feb. 8

rutlandherald.com/News/AtAGlance … 78837.html

Kimmick arrived in Taiwan on Jan. 25, The AP reported. He turned himself in to police in the southern resort town of Kenting after he found out he would be barred from leaving because his U.S. passport had been revoked, Taiwanese police have said.

pidp.eastwestcenter.org/pireport … -18-19.htm

How about that? The guy found a long jail sentence preferable to life in Taiwan. :laughing:

…i know what i would have chosen…

I think you’re wrong. About 4-5 years ago, there was an American married to a Taiwanese woman. They had a kid. They got a divorce and the husband got legal custody here in Taiwan (they lived in Hsinchu). The wife went back to the States filed for and received custody. The husband was charged in the States with kidnapping, the US asked for Taiwan to send him back and the American was picked up and sent to Guam and held in federal custody. No idea what happened in the end but I figure the guy got screwed big time.

In such situations, when Taiwan is notified by the US (or other) authorities that a wanted foreign fugitive is present in their territory, the person in question will not actually be extradited but will be declared persona non grata here (as an undesirable alien) and deported on a flight which will happen to take him straight back into the arms of his pursuers.

But if the wanted fugitive is an ROC national, there’s little chance he’ll ever be sent to face trial abroad.