Is AMEX Taiwan going tits up?

I got a similar letter today, with an upward revision of my credit limit.

Also, I refused to pay the annual fee on my gold card, I told them I would cancel my card because it is just too expensive, I haven’t paid the fee in at least three years, they said don’t cancel, we will give you free gold card membership, just please try to use our card a little more often…

[quote=“asiababy”]I got a similar letter today, with an upward revision of my credit limit.

Also, I refused to pay the annual fee on my gold card, I told them I would cancel my card because it is just too expensive, I haven’t paid the fee in at least three years, they said don’t cancel, we will give you free gold card membership, just please try to use our card a little more often…[/quote]

I think most credit cards in TW doesn’t have an annual fee. You just need to use it a couple of times in a year and the card stays alive

I haven’t actually used the card in those 3+ years, that’s why i was going to cancel it.

[quote=“asiababy”]I got a similar letter today, with an upward revision of my credit limit.
[/quote]

That’s interesting–I just got a call saying they are cancelling mine, even though I always pay the full amount each month.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“asiababy”]I got a similar letter today, with an upward revision of my credit limit.
[/quote]

That’s interesting–I just got a call saying they are cancelling mine, even though I always pay the full amount each month.[/quote]

And reason being?

[quote=“mlpgd”][quote=“Flicka”][quote=“asiababy”]I got a similar letter today, with an upward revision of my credit limit.
[/quote]

That’s interesting–I just got a call saying they are cancelling mine, even though I always pay the full amount each month.[/quote]

And reason being?[/quote]

Not sure yet–they called me at work (tks, Amex) and I had to go to a meeting. I’m calling them back today to find out. I also got their bill today–hope they don’t expect me to pay them back after they’ve pulled the rug out from under me like this. Not that I’ll die if I lose my Amex card, but I did use it alot.

I recently had my platinum AMEX credit limit slashed by a whopping 80% without ANY notice - I only found out via my card being rejected on a purchase - nice. The service is shocking - to this I had overdue error accounts sent out and different departments gold & platinum calling for money that wasnt even owed. I had an excellent payment record too…

I wrote to the local papers - they werent interested and neither was AMEX USA. One way to sink Brand value - needless to say I have parted with AMEX after more than 4 years - try CITIBANK or HSBC they both threw cards at me with plenty of limit!

Can action really not be taken against individuals on bad credit card debt in TW? I would like to stick it to them a little.

HAHA–what a bunch of liars. I went and got my local credit report (I’ll post about that later separately) and it turns out my credit report is fine.

Amex isn’t even listed on my credit report (a screw up on Amex’s part), so I am not sure how they can call me to tell me they checked my credit report and I have bad credit. In fact, the credit report notes EACH TIME A BANK HAS CHECKED YOUR REPORT, but Amex isn’t listed as checking it at all. Liar, liar, panties on fire.

I’ll be cancelling my Amex card soon.

[quote=“Flicka”]HAHA–what a bunch of liars. I went and got my local credit report (I’ll post about that later separately) and it turns out my credit report is fine.

Amex isn’t even listed on my credit report (a screw up on Amex’s part), so I am not sure how they can call me to tell me they checked my credit report and I have bad credit. In fact, the credit report notes EACH TIME A BANK HAS CHECKED YOUR REPORT, but Amex isn’t listed as checking it at all. Liar, liar, panties on fire.

I’ll be cancelling my Amex card soon.[/quote]

My own experience with Amex has been equally as infuriating. Rivaled only by Citibank in its draconian, customer-last policies.

[quote=“Tomas”]

My own experience with Amex has been equally as infuriating. Rivaled only by Citibank in its draconian, customer-last policies.[/quote]

Great…I wish I had gotten this info earlier. I just applied for a Citibank card to replace my Amex card. :frowning: I guess more fun is just around the corner.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“Tomas”]

My own experience with Amex has been equally as infuriating. Rivaled only by Citibank in its draconian, customer-last policies.[/quote]

Great…I wish I had gotten this info earlier. I just applied for a Citibank card to replace my Amex card. :frowning: I guess more fun is just around the corner.[/quote]

Fodder for a website rant or two, my friend. Ever get the feeling that those liberal whisperings about the evils of corporate America are largely true? Yep, me too.

And I’m an idealist by nature.

They did a risk assessment of all their cardholders, and slashed the limits of anyone deemed a risk. Unfortunately, being a foreigner was one of the points on their list. After spending a number of hours on the phone (spread out over several weeks), this was finally admitted to me by the head of the customer services department. What was interesting was that when I asked her if AMEX Taiwan was discriminating against foreign cardmembers, her exact response was “I refuse to answer that question”. So I contacted the Consumer Protection Foundation and began the process of filing a complaint, and sent a registered letter to AMEX informing them of this. Within 48 hours my limit was back to normal, and I received a letter and two personal phone calls from AMEX offering apologies.

After 8 years of responsible usage, and a perfect credit rating…

Whatever. My Fubon Bank platinum visa is much easier to use, anyway.

[quote=“dangerousapple”]They did a risk assessment of all their cardholders, and slashed the limits of anyone deemed a risk. Unfortunately, being a foreigner was one of the points on their list. After spending a number of hours on the phone (spread out over several weeks), this was finally admitted to me by the head of the customer services department. What was interesting was that when I asked her if AMEX Taiwan was discriminating against foreign cardmembers, her exact response was “I refuse to answer that question”. So I contacted the Consumer Protection Foundation and began the process of filing a complaint, and sent a registered letter to AMEX informing them of this. Within 48 hours my limit was back to normal, and I received a letter and two personal phone calls from AMEX offering apologies.

After 8 years of responsible usage, and a perfect credit rating…

Whatever. My Fubon Bank platinum visa is much easier to use, anyway.[/quote]

When they slashed my credit limit from NT$150K to NT$33K, I called and bitched a little but was re-assured that my credit limit will be re-instated once they have sorted out all the bad debt issues.
About 2-3 months later, I got a letter informing me that my credit limit will be revised upwards to NT$133K. I didn’t complain, I didn’t write any letter to any authorities, newspapers to get that re-instated.

However, I just felt that if they didn’t appreciate my business, then I’ll just take my business elsewhere. No need to get all hot and bothered about it. During that period of ‘reduced’ credit limit, I promptly went and applied for 2 different credit cards and have not been using my AMEX card since. It is unlikely that I will ever use AMEX ever again. Their whole handling of this whole affair have been appalling.

And bizarre. To penalise your good customers for the misdeeds of your bad ones. This will be in a business studies textbook some day.

Makes you wonder if something very ‘odd’ has been going on at Amex. Why would you deliberately punish all your customers?

Are they covering up ‘bad loans’ that someone fraudulently authorised?

By punishing everyone they may be ‘hiding’ the real problems within their own system.

KenTaiwan98

I’ve not heard back from AMEX since their grotesque display of ‘professionalism’ - I would have thought they’d be begging and scraping to get the ‘good’ customers back. Goes to show it’s just another shame file for Taiwan - I wonder if anyone really cares?