Is an extended multiple-entry visa still ME after the orig

I got a sixty-day, multiple-entry vistor visa for purpose of studying in Osaka last year in October. The original “enter before” date is 15 Apr 2008. I have dutifully extended this visa every 60 days. I went to Hong Kong March 13, back on March 15, which I know automatically begins a new 60-day term, taking me up through May 16.

I need to go back to the US to have the TECO office there put their official stamp on my transcripts and diploma so I can complete my application for Tamkang University (it would have been helpful to know that I needed to do this before I came to Taiwan, silly me assuming that sealed transcripts were good enough, along with my original diploma), and I plan to go on May 10 or 11 and come back May 24 or 25. Before I leave, I will go to Banqiao’s immigration office to apply for my next 60-day extension of my current visa, said extension taking me through July 16 or so, providing they give me one.

My question is: will leaving Taiwan again negate that final extension? Is the multiple-entry only valid up through the original date of April 15?

I don’t mind coming back without a visa and just doing a 30-day stay on my passport and then trekking over to HK for a weekend, but I’d like to know in advance if that’s what I’ll be facing. Since I have to go to TECO anyway, I might just try for another visa on the grounds that I’m applying for university and see if they’ll give me one. I’ve already been here 3 years (as of March 21 this year, had an ARC during the first year, haven’t had one since) studying Mandarin, though, so I’m uncertain whether a) I’ll get the extension through July or b) TECO in SF would issue a new visa. I know once I have the confirmation letter from university it won’t be an issue, since uni study is treated differently than language study.

Do you really have to go in person? The Seattle office handles these things by mail. Or you can send “an agent” to do it for you. I’d double check, and have someone else go and try to do that before flying to do it in person. I’ve found that with Taiwan bureaucracy, it depends on who you talk to, what mood they’re in, and what day of the week it is.

Well, it’s been two years since I went back to see my dad, and he’s not getting any younger. I’m going to visit him as well as to get the paperwork handled. Plus, I don’t quite trust the US postal service not to lose important stuff. So, I still need an answer to the original question. :slight_smile:

I had written to two e-mail addresses at the SF office and got no reply to either, so I tried sending an e-mail to the woman who handles the scholarship apps. She replied right away and told me to write to a different e-mail address - which turned out to no longer be in use. Sheesh, even the people in the same building don’t know how to contact each other by e-mail.

[quote=“500CBFan”]
I had written to two e-mail addresses at the SF office and got no reply to either, so I tried sending an e-mail to the woman who handles the scholarship apps. She replied right away and told me to write to a different e-mail address - which turned out to no longer be in use. Sheesh, even the people in the same building don’t know how to contact each other by e-mail.[/quote]

Ah, that’s the problem. You need to call. I’d say, talk to three people - and try at different times of the day and see what you get.

Hi, Sorry I don’t have any answers for you, but what you mentioned about extensions interested me and so here’s my question:
I have a 60-day multiple-entry visitor visa and I entered the R.O.C. on March 26th… My boyfriend and I are planning on returning to the States around July 1st (still need to find the tickets… any cheap suggestions? everything is over $1000US for one way to Washington DC!).
I have no visa run experience and was just wondering if it’s possible to extend my visa until we leave without me having to make a run. It should “expire” May 26th I guess. Any info??
Thanks,
Kate