Is "begpacking" legal? (not general discussion)

It’s not a particularly new thing, I remember seeing them at least 2 years ago, possibly even earlier.

I wouldn’t say new, I would say appears to have increased.

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Which species is the mangiest?

I don’t get how they can live off begging let along travel. Are they homeless?

Successful and smart beggars can earn a hell of a lot of money.

Middle class whites that want to travel but not work or pay for it

2 Likes

I’ve seen plenty of Japanese here busking and all that jazz.
Just saying.

1 Like

There’s a difference between busking and just begging on the street. Buskers are licensed and for the most part have a performance license. Plus, they are trying and actually doing something. Beggars just beg

4 Likes

Some Forumosan needs to talk to these guys, ask them where they are from. Do the legwork people!
One spoon of Crusties Lamb Favourites per answer.

1 Like

Remember that gang of beggars from China? They made millions in a couple of months and I am not exaggerating.

1 Like

Look, I don’t want to call anyone liars or anything, but I’ve lived in Taipei for 8 years now and I’ve never seen these people? I’m around Dunhua semi regularly?

Go to Exit 6 of Ximen Station tomorrow, if you have time. You will likely see one selling postcards.

If you walk around a bit you might see some blindfolded foreigners letting people hug them for cash.

1 Like

Selling hugs?

Give them some money and you can hug them…

I think I will pass this pass

But I wonder, who is so needy to pay for a hug?

I think it’s about the novelty of hugging a foreigner. There was a girl last time too…

There’s a lot of homeless foreigners in the Philippines. It’s as good a place as any to get lost, but Taiwan wouldn’t put up with it for long. At least not many of them are real beggars. Sometimes they just can’t or won’t go home and can’t make a living there.

1 Like

The problem is it will make things more difficult for legitimate whites

I’ve lived in the Philippines and I’ve lived in Taiwan so long my first buxiban students are college grads. I’ve seen news of foreigners fighting, killing, having sex in public, and the ever popular drug dealing. I’ve never been discriminated against in any serious way. Maybe because my mother taught me to be nice and I just look harmless.
For the record, I don’t consider the fact that Taiwan doesn’t make it as easy to work or reside here as easy as some countries to be discrimination. Laws are laws, Taiwan is what it is and it’s fine.
I’m slightly mixed race. Does that make me a legitimate white?

1 Like