Is "begpacking" legal? (not general discussion)

Saw two today at Maji. However, they were more like buskers. They played for money, and actually sang and played quite well. That I can bear. Nevertheless, I do mind as they could apply for a permit, in theory, they could do that legally.

Many countries don’t have any rep office let alone an embassy here.

make the call :wink:

1 Like

Most do

Oh they will definitely try to get payment from him first. But visa free only works because the country puts up a guarantee to get those out that cause trouble

Sounds like a case of entitled western hipsters deciding to backpack through Asia without having properly financed the trip beforehand. I’d rather give my money to the old, broken homeless guy painting watercolors on the street than fund the next leg of Junior’s journey of self-discovery.

4 Likes

So basically white millennial liberals try to get locals and dumbasses who contribute to a gofundme account to fund their travels because they either can’t afford to travel or don’t want to pay for it themselves.

2 Likes

Again, there are a whole bunch of Russians and their near-abroadians doing this.

For the USA, the debt would be owed to the State Department, which would cancel your passport until you pay up.

Say what?

Supposedly they are not Westerners, or at least a big contingent aren’t. They just happen to have white skin .

The group I spoke to were Romanian

Not giving to them would get rid of them. Some people must be giving them cash or they wouldn’t be here.

It could be organised gangs that move around. It’s probably mostly just crusty backpackers though , how much money could they make off this racket ?

It does seem strange. Can people beg enough to pay for travelling?

I’m a tight bugger who never dishes out cash, but clearly many other people must be doing so.

1 Like

A lotta. Taiwanese people are too generous. We are talking millions, as previous rackets proved.

Begging? Ugh. Go away. If you need money for a plane ticket home, call your folks. Or at least get a job teaching English. This is Taiwan!

Busking? I’m OK with that. A time-honored practice. But it is illegal here, so [mod edit:] don’t do it! :policeman: :no_no:

Photos or it didn’t happen…

So far, they haven’t hurt me.

1 Like

Selling postcards? From where?
Selling hugs? Are there girls? Are the cute?
Selling hugs to Taiwanese seem like an uphill business.

According to this article, busking without a license is illegal, but apparantly the license is difficult to get.

I bet you can make good money if you are fluffly to the touch