Is buying a "big bike" in Taiwan stupid? Most would say yes

Is buying a

I was going to ask you whether you went out today.

It’s not for the speed. It’s for the feeling and the belonging…

I really hate you. <Insert chosen “green with envy smiley here”>

I like the BBB idea. And I think if you have a big bike it’s definitly for all the reasons you mentioned and be cool too, coz it’s definitly cool.
But the friends, the adventure etc…Absolutely.
Manytimes I was on my scooter up in the mountains and came across hordes of BMW “gangs” and it was really cool to see them, it’s definitly a brotherhood.
And for all the foreigners who tease you, well, they’re just jealous that’s all :wink:
Keep on riding mate! :sunglasses:

Mordeth -
Good post. You’ve pegged it.
I was a 20+ yr H-D rider prior to moving to the Island.
The ‘group’ and the secrets discovered are most def part of the deal.
Ride safe.

I think you’ve made a lot of people consider the up-sides to buying a big bike. I just wish they weren’t so expensive.

Mordeth,
Is buying a “big bike” in Taiwan stupid? Most people would say “Yes”.

Until about 2 years ago, I was one of the masses who would have said “Yes, it is stupid/insane/madness”. I’ve been pondering the idea of buying a “big bike” for quite some time now. I asked a couple of me mates, and the reply was always, more or less, along the lines of “Are you mad?”; “What for?” That, and the price of course, kinda brainwashed me into submission.

Reading your post, however, gave me a completely different perspective; maybe because it fits so closely to the kind of lifestyle I try to lead here in Taiwan. I work long and hard during the week, and are deliberately spending less and less time in bars. Initially it was to save money – did I? Oh yeah, lots! I was known to be quite a jovial chap in the bar. Anyway, instead, my mission has become to explore Taiwan. My weekly explorations, by car let me add, have taken me to some of the most beautiful, scenic and tranquil parts of Taiwan. Now… I can only imagine how rewarding and pleasurable it must be exploring the island on a “big bike” and with knowledgeable companions like the BBB. I’ve met a couple of the BBB guys and gals and was impressed how well I was recieved as a non-biker. I can only imagine how good it must be to be part of them.

Perhaps the following questions were discussed in some thread already (Mods - my apologies if indeed it was):
Could you give us (me) a little more info on the BBB? Is it a formal organization with formal memberships open to bikers only? Do one qualify by simply buying a big bike? Website? Silly questions I know, but I find it quite fascinating.
How about big bikes? Best places to go and check’em out? Prices and licencing. Any big bike stores in Hsinchu? I know I could probably find this info on Google or something, but I would like to hear what you say.

Thanks,

Stan

Well put Mordeth. Mordeth had the pleasure of joining my BBB last Sunday, it was a pleasure to finally meet the infamous vigilante. Not as a threating as I had imagined, quite a nice guy and a pretty good rider (still needs to go around corners faster though :smiley:).

I think the biggest thing that keeps me in Taiwan is being able to ride all year long, and have nice twisty roads (read dangerous). Where I’m from the roads are big but straight, and it snows 6 months of the year. Plus, most riders in North America are ego maniacs with serious attitude problems, always wanting to prove they can go faster than you. If you have a nice bike, people just want to to see if they can beat you on a 1/4 mile or say why didn’t you get X-brand instead of Y-brand bike. In Taiwan, people see having a bike as a privilge and as taking membership in a brotherhood. We respect each other and help each other out, even if we don’t know each other. In the mountains we wave to each other when we pass. When we stop and bump into other bikers, we start to talk and talk about our bikes like we were close freinds. What we do, where we are from, how bad my Chinese is just doesn’t matter. Owning a big bike is to have a sense of belonging, which in a big city like Taipei is very hard to find. And I guess that’s why we are all here on Forumosa, to have a sense of belonging.

When out touring on the FZ150 I usually get nods from the big bike guys. Seem like a friendly bunch.

On the South Cross-Island Highway, I stopped and walked down the road 500 metres looking for the best spot to take a photo. A Ducati rider stopped and offered me a ride. Obviously he thought I was stranded. I took him up on the offer anyway.

Stan wrote:

“Could you give us (me) a little more info on the BBB? Is it a formal organization with formal memberships open to bikers only? Do one qualify by simply buying a big bike? Website? Silly questions I know, but I find it quite fascinating.
How about big bikes? Best places to go and check’em out? Prices and licencing. Any big bike stores in Hsinchu (Xinzhu)? I know I could probably find this info on Google or something, but I would like to hear what you say.”

1. No, it’s not a formal organization. Just a brotherhood, and no you don’t have to have big bike to join. You just have to love bikes. Next time you see some guy with a big bike, go up to him/her and start talking about bikes, and you will see all language and cultural barriers disappear. There are many bike sites, the most popular one is www.moto-lines.com
    I think the site is under construction at the moment.

2. Best place to see them around Taipei is in Pingshi every Saturday and Sunday, take the road to Shenkang heading to Juifen. There is a mountain cafe called “Monet” about 10 mins past the town of Pingshi. You can’t miss it, it will be on your right side and there will be at least 20-30 big bikes parked there all the time. Plus you’ll probably see big bikes all along that road. Best time (busiest for big bikes) is around 11am.

3. Don’t live in Hsinchu, so don’t know about stores. But prices range from $250,000NT for a 400cc to $550,000 for a 1000cc, plus add on around another $10,000 (annually) for taxes, and $6000 to get your license.

There are a few big bike shops in Hsinchu I’m sure. I’ve only been to Hsinchu a couple of times on scooter…but when I was there I saw a couple of them. I remember there being one on the Number One road…coming from Chung-li when you just get into Hsinchu…on the right hand side. They are usually hard to miss. In Chinese you could ask a taxi driver or something…they refer to big bikes…as Jong-sheen (heavy…something) mo-toe-chrr(motorcycle).

Or Stan, you could just ask Kawasaki Rider to take you along as a passenger…he needs some more weight to keep his bike on the ground :smiley: .

Of course its stupid. And you can find these secret hideaways in a car, plus its warmer/cooler and more comfortable getting there. Plus you can find these places and be the only person there. Plus, you can bring your bicycle with you and have a fantastic bike ride miles from anywhere.
Would I buy a big bike if had the money? In a heartbeat, bucko. In a heartbeat.

Ok, that’s funny. You were like “No, I’m ok my bike is…uhhh…sure you can give me a ride!” :slight_smile:

Mordeth and KawasakiRider:

Cheers and thanks for the info. Might see you guys on the road quite soon.

Good post mordeth…

So, when do you and Kawasaki rider want to come down and have a run with me and “plasmatron”?..we have our secret ride called “the Sun Moon ring”…that involves a circuit of selected roads that end up in one big loop involving sun moon lake…lots of high speed and low speed cornering… :sunglasses:

Well since I “corner too slow” and Kawasaki Rider is too afraid of “stray dogs?!?” to go fast on the straights…maybe we can just count and see how many times you and plasmatron can lap us… :wink:

I have a “Big Bike” fund up and running. Should be mature for next summer.

I have a “Big Bike” fund up and running. Should be mature for next summer.[/quote]

If I can do it then you can do it…I make less money than 90% of the foreigners that I meet.

I have a “Big Bike” fund up and running. Should be mature for next summer.[/quote]

If I can do it then you can do it…I make less money than 90% of the foreigners that I meet.[/quote]
But I really, really really don’t want to go into the hole, especially for a pure luxury item.

I think you should go into the hole…it’s a fun hole…with bright lights and loud cool sounding sounds…good hole.

Stop it. Just. Stop. It. :wink: