Is coronavirus "force majeure" (不可抗力)?

Mais non, mon amie. C’est une force mineure!

1 Like

What’s the punishment for overstaying? Is it worth working at kindy?

Somebody, tando?, posted the fines somewhere today. The fines aren’t much - I think about 10k tops - but the longer you overstay the more difficult it is to get back into Taiwan. Obviously that only comes into effect when you declare your overstay, or get caught because you’ve done something illegal.

1 Like

This message calms the kindy owner.

2 Likes

Im referring to people working and residing in tw
Illegally .
Who where you thinking i was talking about?

Disclaimer: I don’t practice law in Taiwan, I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of this issue, and I don’t know Chinese.

All I’ve been able to find so far is a Chinese-language page with the heading,

When I plugged the above heading into Google Translate, it translated it as follows:

The page contains several Frequently Asked Questions. This is Number 3:

On right-clicking it, I got the following translation from Google Translate:

I haven’t been able to find anything on the page that says one way or the other whether the government considers the coronavirus outbreak to be a force majeure, but I don’t know Chinese, so I can’t translate the page myself.

The page is located here:

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-56-5392-49f27-1.html

*Please note that in the above, Google Translate translated “我國” (literally, “my country”) as China, but I’m virtually certain that the press release intends it to mean either Taiwan or the Republic of China. The following post will affirm that:

and out come the high horsers…

look its pretty simple, the govt wouldn’t allow visa runs if they had a huge problem with it. evidently they don’t. now people teaching english illegally they do have a problem with.

this thing is currently a huge pain in the ass because things are changing everyday, even if i bought a ticket home, who knows if the flight will be cancelled or not? i saw a photo from the airport flights board today. half the flights were cancelled.

6 Likes

If they are working on visa exempt status they are illegal.

2 Likes

The government hasn’t suddenly developed an issue with people teaching English illegally, they are responding to a crisis. If they can get people who are a ‘problem’ out of the country they will.

2 Likes

Aren’t these two things connected?
Why do people do visa runs if they aren’t teaching English illegally here? How do people live here on visa exempt status without working?

Sorry han i was thinking about people living here many many years and working illegally without traveling. I agree working tax free and travelling each 90days is wrong ,my bad . I retract far from illegal. Forgive me

I live here without working or hustling because taiwan is cheap compared to usa.

Some people come here to retire and travel asia

2 Likes

I can see a fair few more people overstaying in the coming months.
They would go underground. Not great when you are trying to contain a virus in a pandemic.

2 Likes

The more retired American boomers doing visa exempt runs in and out of Taiwan the better.

I knew I shouldn’t of sold my Din Tai Fung and Brass Monkey shares.

I should have paid better attention. I read your post, but it didn’t register. Senior moment, I guess.

because its 2020 and people have other means of getting money than teaching english?

i never said they did. in the past and today they wanted to see bank statements, atm receipts ect to prove i can support myself and im not planning to work illegally. which im guessing is buxiban work, i don’t fit the bill for a thai hooker…

as for digital nomads, yea they might have a problem but evidently not a huge one. it is what it is.

2 Likes

What are some other means of getting money in taiwan with visa exempt status that isn’t teaching English? I’m guessing you think I’m being snarky by your reply, but I’m just generally curious.

Some people work online like me

Would you call yourself a digital nomad?

You’re not working in taiwan. I was asking about ways to make money working in taiwan with visa exempt status that isn’t teaching at a buxiban/kindy.

FYI, you are breaking the law.

Working in Taiwan(irrespective if it’s “online” or “offline”) is illegal unless you got a work permit.