Is coronavirus "force majeure" (不可抗力)?

The government hasn’t suddenly developed an issue with people teaching English illegally, they are responding to a crisis. If they can get people who are a ‘problem’ out of the country they will.

2 Likes

Aren’t these two things connected?
Why do people do visa runs if they aren’t teaching English illegally here? How do people live here on visa exempt status without working?

Sorry han i was thinking about people living here many many years and working illegally without traveling. I agree working tax free and travelling each 90days is wrong ,my bad . I retract far from illegal. Forgive me

I live here without working or hustling because taiwan is cheap compared to usa.

Some people come here to retire and travel asia

2 Likes

I can see a fair few more people overstaying in the coming months.
They would go underground. Not great when you are trying to contain a virus in a pandemic.

2 Likes

The more retired American boomers doing visa exempt runs in and out of Taiwan the better.

I knew I shouldn’t of sold my Din Tai Fung and Brass Monkey shares.

I should have paid better attention. I read your post, but it didn’t register. Senior moment, I guess.

because its 2020 and people have other means of getting money than teaching english?

i never said they did. in the past and today they wanted to see bank statements, atm receipts ect to prove i can support myself and im not planning to work illegally. which im guessing is buxiban work, i don’t fit the bill for a thai hooker…

as for digital nomads, yea they might have a problem but evidently not a huge one. it is what it is.

2 Likes

What are some other means of getting money in taiwan with visa exempt status that isn’t teaching English? I’m guessing you think I’m being snarky by your reply, but I’m just generally curious.

Some people work online like me

Would you call yourself a digital nomad?

You’re not working in taiwan. I was asking about ways to make money working in taiwan with visa exempt status that isn’t teaching at a buxiban/kindy.

FYI, you are breaking the law.

Working in Taiwan(irrespective if it’s “online” or “offline”) is illegal unless you got a work permit.

youtube? or do you mean actual non english teaching jobs within taiwan?

1 Like

I have money from what I did in the UK, I don’t need to work here but I like living here.

1 Like

By earning money in our own countries for some of the year, then using the rest of the year to come out here and spend it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

it is not very clear.

3 Likes

Ditto

Regardless of its legality, the tax man wants their share of your income. They have clarified a few times that they expect digital nomads to pay up as they are tax residents after staying over 90 days.

1 Like

I thought you meant how we can afford a living here.
But no I’m not a digital nomad.

So you just work online and and will live in taiwan indefinitely?