Is Covid a Death Tax on Stupidity?

And they also keep coming from Texas and California to my state, Colorado.

We have a very diverse economy. Denver is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. While Texas was suffering from an oil crash, Colorado had the lowest unemployment in the country. We are also the healthiest state and some of the most educated (behind Massachusetts). We have oil & gas but aren’t overly reliant on it. We also have green energy, tech, healthcare, and the outdoor industry driving the economy. A prime example of how Democratic policies over the past couple decades have led to a diversified booming economy.

The Democratic cities or Democratic states cause all the problems narrative falls apart pretty quickly. It’s all about balance.

1 Like

Ok. Not all. But so many it’s hard to ignore.

That’s a gross simplification to serve the purpose of pushing an agenda. Every city and state is different with different policies. There is not one thing in common that you can point to in all of them that are somehow causing a nation wide problem. It is a completely immature and unproductive argument. You don’t see me saying the South is in abject poverty so all Republican policies are bad. We have to grow up a little and realize that policies need to be catered to each specific situation. There are some good Democratic policies as evidenced by my state and some good Republican policies as evidenced by yours. Conversations would be a lot more productive if we could realize that.

1 Like

But that wasn’t the dichotomy I was presenting. People are being actively denied any agency over their own destiny. They’re either being prodded and pushed along a certain path, or they’re being left to drown. Sometimes both simultaneously, which is obviously a bit pointless.

Funding might be an issue, but given that any kid now has the world’s store of knowledge laid open for his perusal on the Internet, you could open a school in the middle of a field with kids sat on treestumps and still deliver a reasonably effective syllabus. Schools are awash with cash, at least in my home country. It’s just being mis-spent.

Good. We have some common ground then. Yes, of course you need the resources. But before that you need the will to actually do it. The genuine troublemakers are very few - out of a class of 35 there might be three or four. Get them out of there and the job gets a lot easier for the teacher, who is otherwise spending the entire lesson trying to get those few scumbags to calm down.

Worth adding, perhaps, that I’m not a great believer in school; I certainly don’t believe that school=education. The last thing any kid wants is to be told to sit down, shut up, and listen to some adult droning on about The Wars of the Roses or somesuch. Far better to give the kid a zest for life that he will direct towards finding out about The Wars of the Roses when he’s older.

In other words the little bastards are put into the same classes where other kids (and the teachers) are trying to make the best of things. I think we agree on principles if not on terminology.

That isn’t what I was suggesting. The idea that we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions, and for the consequences that arise from them, needs to be inculcated at an early age, and the idea needs to be backed up with actions. This is the underpinning of any Free society.

Bad parents who raise bad children should be hit with the full consequences of their decisions: their children will be denied mainstream education and moved to special schools, and they will foot the bill, from their social-security payments if necessary. Teenagers who end up in jail for shoplifting or GBH or whatever should pay every last cent of the costs incurred by their prosecution, imprisonment, and victim compensation. If that put certain individuals into conditions of dire poverty, so be it. It shouldn’t take very long for others to realise that raising antisocial little brats, or becoming a career criminal, is a lot harder than making choices which are both personally rewarding and better for society.

At present, criminals are rewarded for being criminals, and bad parents are rewarded for being bad parents. All of them are patted on the head and told that it’s not their fault and that “society” (ie., the people who go to work to subsidize their lifestyle via taxes) is responsible. This needs to stop.

The counterpoint to that is that some people are so damaged that they have no idea what good parenting or good behaviour looks like. They’ve never seen it. Somewhere along the line they need to have access to resources that helps them sort themselves out. But it needs to be done voluntarily. You can’t herd the bottom-feeders into parenting classes run by be-bangled social workers who are most likely bad parents themselves, but you can try to get through to them that there is something self-destructive in their thought patterns and behaviour, and try to establish social structures that provide the missing memes.

In the UK at least, such things do exist - eg., social workers ‘embedded’ inside poor communities who teach proper parenting techniques in a very informal manner - but without any strong incentive for people to pay attention, they won’t. And they don’t.

True that. People refuse to take precautions- wear masks, social distance, not have large gatherings- and have to go into lockdown because they’re stupid.

Biden and Trump split the country pretty evenly during the election (about 5% edge to Biden).
Biden counties, 70% of GDP. Trump counties, 30%.
Tell me again how it’s all the Democrat’s fault.

2 Likes

COVID-19 deaths by U. S. state per 1 million population, as of about 1:00 p.m., November 22, 2020, from source United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer :

1 New Jersey 1,900
2 New York 1,759
3 Massachusetts 1,522
4 Connecticut 1,354
5 Louisiana 1,341
6 Mississippi 1,229
7 Rhode Island 1,221
8 North Dakota 1,094
9 District of Columbia 949
10 Illinois 943
11 Michigan 889
12 Arizona 887
13 South Dakota 878
14 Georgia 865
15 Florida 836
16 South Carolina 830
17 Indiana 779
18 Arkansas 774
19 Pennsylvania 772
20 Delaware 766

I wonder what the criteria would be for such a wall–my uncertainty being caused by what one might call “the unusual suspects”:

History of slavery in New York (state) - Wikipedia

History of slavery in New Jersey - Wikipedia

History of slavery in Massachusetts - Wikipedia

History of slavery in Connecticut - Wikipedia

History of Rhode Island - Wikipedia

History of slavery in Illinois - Wikipedia

https://michigantoday.umich.edu/2018/02/19/detroits-dark-secret-slavery/

History of slavery in Indiana - Wikipedia

History of slavery in Pennsylvania - Wikipedia

Delaware - Wikipedia

Donald Trump Jr., who has been infected, will spend his time at his cabin “cleaning his guns”.
I bet he will.

Where did I actually say this argument? I never mentioned the democrats once here nor the GOP. That’s all you. I’m not a Republican or a democrat…I’ve voted mostly democrat…you don’t think I recognize some democrat policies are good?

Again? Quote the first time. I never even mentioned democrats or GOP here. That’s you buddy.

Blaming Democratic cities is a recurring theme of yours. Funny thing is most cities are Democratic. So I guess every city in the country has homeless…because democrats. Has riots because… democrats.

We all know what you’re referring to. San Francisco is going down the drain and Texas is a beacon of conservative hope. How about all of the deep south? How are those lax regulations helping people there?

Case in point. Democrats can’t get their cities under control? Give me a break. As if every riot was a democrats fault. Nothing to do with armed counter protesters deliberately clashing with protesters. It’s because… democrats. We’d all be better off with one party rule.

I think a lot of them are shit. But I never mentioned that here as the root of all problems. That’s 100% you.

They have continually failed in their local jurisdictions that I’ve mentioned.

Don’t make arguments for me that I didn’t make. I simply want the democrats to do better, and maybe I’ll vote for them again.

If you want to talk about how GOP ran places have failed, go for it. I’ll probably agree because I’m not a partisan hack unlike some people. You seem to not be able to comprehend some people don’t like either party.

1 Like

You can play coy with others, but I ain’t buying it. I’ve debated you plenty enough on this forum to know you’re biased, and like to oversimplify and say it’s democratic cities.

You just admitted right there. Of the top 50 cities in the US, only 13 are republican. So all of those cities are going to shit…because democrats.

Yeah. I’m just lying because I’m a Russia bot. You’re the most biased of people on here so I guess it’s impossible for you to understand anyone who doesn’t have some party loyalty. :neutral_face:

I think a lot of them are because they vote for the same idiots that are democrats. Again, if you want to talk about republicans ran cities, go for it.

Biased against a party that ties it’s entire platform to one person…yes most definitely. But no you are enlightened because you voted democrat as you like to use so often as hard evidence.

Right just a coincidence that they are Democrats. Except every quote before has been you saying something about democrat controlled cities - not specific to one person they keep voting in but democrats. I don’t need to make anything up. The bias is right there for all to see.

Here’s another one. Why mention democrats if you’re argument has nothing to do with being Democrat, and what you really mean is the specific person they keep voting for instead of the party?

Again forgetting most cities are Democrat so what relevance does that have?

More then you buddy. You’re the most biased of posters on here trying accuse me :joy: give me a break.

Yes, I said I think a lot of them are shit. I’ve given reasons before. I’m not hiding that. You’re the one that brought up I think that’s the root of all problems because you’re too biased to get any nuance.

Really, you do not believe many of the cities ran by democrats for decades are terribly governed? I think so.

If you want to mention cities ran by GOP are also terribly governed, go for it. If it’s true, im likely to agree if you can point to specific examples.

To be fair, it’s not that Democrats run their cities more poorly than Republicans. It’s just that they have a higher tolerance for the smell of feces and the sight of used needles.

1 Like

I think it does have to do with the democrats that run those cities. But you took it way further than that.

I don’t think cities are all going to shit. Cities are driving the US economy. I’ve never had that premise. And if a city was terribly governed I would be specific as to why instead of just copping out and saying its because they are run by democrats. That is the epitome of bias.