Is eye contact a more important sign of interest in Taiwan than in the US?

Based on my experiences, girls here seem shyer and less forward, so they often don’t make as much eye contact with men. If a Taiwanese girl returns your gaze, would you consider it a bigger sign?

It all depends.
If she returns the gaze and then gives you the middle finger, then she’s a member of Forumosa long since gone, giving you the secret code of this site.

8 Likes

If she looks you right in the eyes and calls you a creep, you know you’re going to get lucky.

2 Likes

You think too much.

I think eye contact is a human universal. What varies across cultures is the “correct” amount of time before looking away.

7 Likes

Here’s a tip: don’t ogle.

I just look at her face.

It’s OK when the guy is handsome, but creepy if the guy is unattactive.

人帥真好, 人醜性騷擾

“Is eye contact a more important sign of interest in Taiwan than in the US?”

At the moment yes.
:mask:

3 Likes

There was a poster here 4 or 5 years ago that would always make a looong post every time a girl looked at him or smiled. He would say things like ‘the smile melted my heart… I hope I can make her my first Taiwanese girlfriend.’ Really weird guy. He was obsessed with some 7/11 girl. Everyone teased him about it and he disappeared.

1 Like

when my girlfriend and I were at a restaurant, a waiter was glancing repeatedly at my girlfriend. She turned to me and said “Eww.”

When I reminded her that I kept glancing at her when we first met, she said “Well you’re handsome.”

1 Like

7/11 is the last place to be looking for a potential GF.

Like I said… weird.

1 Like

when my girlfriend and I were at a restaurant, a waiter was glancing repeatedly at my girlfriend. She turned to me and said “Eww.”

When I reminded her that I kept glancing at her when we first met, she said “Well you’re handsome and have lots of international experiences."

1 Like

It’s funny how the same behavior can be perceived differently simply because it’s coming from different people.

3 Likes

Why?

4 Likes

She’s busy and there to serve customers. You likely won’t have much time to talk to her.

In Taiwan, eye contact isn’t necessarily a sign-of-interest, and no eye contact isn’t necessarily a sign-of-no-interest. People and culture just aren’t that tuned in that way.

Many other non-verbal and verbal nuances involved.

Taipei, eye contact is “out”. The further you go south, the more “in” eye contact becomes.

Philippines, Thailand, or people from those areas and some others in region, eye contact is much more related to a sign-of-interest.

2 Likes

There are quiet times, you can sit inside with a coffee, and if she likes you she will make it known.
There could be customer you help decide which ice cream to buy, and that leads to a life long romance.

I think it’s the opposite, by limiting the places, you’re lest likely to fine your date.

1 Like

Many Taiwanese girls prefer to be introduced to a potential date by someone they know, such as a family member, relative, close friend, colleague. Taiwanese girls are generally not interested in men who cold approach them.

What do you mean by “out” and “in”?