Is Friends the Most Pathetic Comedy of Its Ilk?

Not that there aren’t even less funny and even more pathetic comedies, but Friends was so huge for so long and was such crap - just watched for the first time in years a piece of an episode and it’s just not funny, and it wasn’t funny 10 years ago either. Is it just twenty-somethings watching other semi-attractive twenty-somethings act semi-joking and living together? And shit, come on now fellas, Jennifer Aniston is not a Wookie but she’s not hot except for them boobies. Neither is Cocks or that goofy-looking Kudrow. So what is it???

Compare to The Office (preferably British but either), Family Guy, The Larry Sanders Show, 30 Rock, South Park, Arrested Development, and so on…

So what else is worse but of the same league: what’s that one with Erkel?

I thought friends was hilarious for its time… :blush:

[quote=“TwoTongues”]Not that there aren’t even less funny and even more pathetic comedies, but Friends was so huge for so long and was such crap - just watched for the first time in years a piece of an episode and it’s just not funny, and it wasn’t funny 10 years ago either. Is it just twenty-somethings watching other semi-attractive twenty-somethings act semi-joking and living together? And shit, come on now fellas, Jennifer Aniston is not a Wookie but she’s not hot except for them boobies. Neither is Cocks or that goofy-looking Kudrow. So what is it???

Compare to The Office (preferably British but either), Family Guy, The Larry Sanders Show, 30 Rock, South Park, Arrested Development, and so on…

So what else is worse but of the same league: what’s that one with Erkel?[/quote]
Friends had plenty of attractive people (despite your protests). That brought in the majority of its fans. It never had the writing chops of the shows you compare it to nor did it intend to. It was never socially aware or cutting edge, just mindless blabbering.

Seinfeld? The Nanny?

Or even 90210? Now that was some funny shit right there.

[quote=“urodacus”]Seinfeld? The Nanny?

Or even 90210? Now that was some funny shit right there.[/quote]

Isn’t The Nanny the whiny female version of Seinfeld? The difference being Seinfeld had good writers and was funny… and, uh, I think Jerry has a dong in his pants. But then so does Fran Drescher, so my point is moot.

Different strokes. Friends was funny. Not always, but often.

I find 30 Rock fairly banal from what I have seen (back to back episodes on an airplane ride over the Pacific).

The Family Guy? I wouldn’t watch that with your eyes. :smiley:

Seinfeld was funny? I preferred Friends.

Humo(u)r is subjective.

I am glad to say that I have never watched a single episode of Friends, Sex in the City, Two and a Half Men and most of the other popular comedy shows of the last few years…

However, now that we are talking about personal faves…

1. Eastbound and Down - Hilarious show about a down and out ex baseball hero that tries to reinvent himself and become famous again. Produced by Will Ferell I think?
  2. Flight of the Conchords - 2 guys from NZ move to NYC and try to make it big with their band. This is bloody fantastic comedy, and most people warm to it after a few episodes. Great soundtrack, too.
  3. Better off Ted - Nice, short, clever comedy. Set in a fictional multinational corporation in the product testing area. Love it! And they are making series 2 which is good news.

[quote=“pubba”]I am glad to say that I have never watched a single episode of Friends, Sex in the City, Two and a Half Men and most of the other popular comedy shows of the last few years…

However, now that we are talking about personal faves…

1. Eastbound and Down - Hilarious show about a down and out ex baseball hero that tries to reinvent himself and become famous again. Produced by Will Ferell I think?
  2. Flight of the Conchords - 2 guys from NZ move to NYC and try to make it big with their band. This is bloody fantastic comedy, and most people warm to it after a few episodes. Great soundtrack, too.
  3. Better off Ted - Nice, short, clever comedy. Set in a fictional multinational corporation in the product testing area. Love it! And they are making series 2 which is good news.[/quote]

How can you be glad to have never watched a show you have never watched? :cactus:

Flight of the Conchords is hilarious.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

How can you be glad to have never watched a show you have never watched? :cactus:

Flight of the Conchords is hilarious.[/quote]

Well I have to admit, I did see the intro titles a few times. A bunch of corny looking beautiful people hamming it up and being zany… eurghh

We’re big fans of
Kenny Powers
! I’m going to get my own #55 Kenny Powers jersey. I play real sports…not trying to be the best at exercising.

FotC is also like, totally rad, like.

Two and a Half Men is actually pretty funny. It’s kinda crude, but funny.

Love Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Frasier, Scrubs, Roseanne (I still catch it on syndication daily), anything with Ricky Gervais and Simon Pegg, Californication is ok - too much unnecessary sex and nudity (I say that like it’s a bad thing! :laughing: ), SatC, The IT Crowd is worth a try for some of you.

I don’t think Friends was the worst sitcom I’ve watched, but back when it was on we were the target demographic and to be honest, I didn’t really like it, but all my friends thought it was the best show so I watched it. It wasn’t funny, college humor, pretty looking people trying to be funny and they were just all so self-absorbed. Oh noez I chipped my nail let’s make a show out of it. Blah. My thing was Seinfeld and Frasier back then.

Nothing funnier than All In The Family. You can watch most episodes on Youtube.

Now that was a funny show!

No. That would have been The Good Life, although there’s not a red-blooded man among us who wouldn’t have given Felicity Kendal one.

I used to like Friends, but we’re talking about 15 years ago. I watched it too much, though, and experienced what I call “the custard cream effect”. Anyone who ate too many custard creams back in the day will know what I’m talking about.

Since then, I’m just not interested in watching it.

Lately, though, the “Friends Channel” (sorry, I mean “Star World” has been playing it SO MUCH that I can’t even stand to watch two minutes of it anymore.

[quote=“pubba”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

Flight of the Conchords is hilarious.[/quote]

Well I have to admit, I did see the intro titles a few times. A bunch of corny looking beautiful people hamming it up and being zany… eurghh[/quote]

So no one told you life was gonna be this way?

‘Soap’ has got to be one of the funniest shows ever made.
Same with ‘The Jackie Gleason Show’.

Classic American sitcoms from my childhood include:

Kate and Allie
Happy Days
Blossom
Boy meets world
Major Dad
Step by step
Out of this world
The Golden girls
The Cosby show
Family ties
ALF
Taxi
The wonder years
Cheers
The Munsters
The Addams family
The monkees
Get Smart
MASH (maybe my favourite on this list)
Mork and Mindy
Saved by the Bell
Roseanne

Looking at this list I realise that A) UK tv was swamped by American sitcoms, and B) I watched pretty much all of them!
There was also The Banana Splits, and The Muppets, but they don’t really count as sitcoms.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Seinfeld was funny? I preferred Friends.

Humo(u)r is subjective.[/quote]
No. You just have bad taste.

I used to really like Northern Exposure