Is full-time buxiban work possible?

To find a full-time teaching position that’s not Kindergarten if all you have is just a BA (no teaching certification)

Yes.

Where and how?

Can you please elaborate? Things are getting much harder here, even for those who possess TEFL certs, MA’s and Ph.d’s outside of the target area. At the university where I used to work, they are laying off 3 experienced MA’s next year. So, please elaborate.

What do you mean by a full-time teaching position? If you mean a salaried position in a private language institution, yes, those exist. There are more hourly paid jobs but there are some salaried jobs too. I don’t know where people currently look for teaching job ads but you could try Dave’s ESL or Taiwanted, or look for ads in the local papers.

If you mean in a state school or in further/higher education, I don’t think that’s allowed unless you have teaching certification (for a state school) or an MA or Phd (for further/higher ed.). There are some agencies that seem to get round these rules somehow, but you’d want to think carefully about the legalities.

I mean a regular buxiban job, without kindy.

Oh, sure, yes, at a bushiban.

Which buxiban? Please provide links to ads that ask for just a BA if teaching adults.

He didn’t say anything about teaching adults.

It’s very easy to get a non kindy job in Taiwan, especially with a large chain.

I only did kindy once, though, and it was the best job I ever had in Taiwan, apart from the cash. I liked getting raided. Rock solid excuse to take myself off to Starbucks in the middle of the afternoon on full pay.

Yeah, I know it’s illegal, but every job in Taiwan for furriners has something illegal going on.

James, as I said above, salaried jobs in buxibans come up from time to time. They tend to be for jobs teaching kids though - if you want to teach adults, I think you’ll probably have to be happy with pay on an hourly basis.

There have been a couple of threads in this forum about salaried jobs I think, or at least where the topic was mentioned. Sorry, I don’t have time to search for them though. Try it yourself.

Is that what you meant? Or did you just mean any buxiban job with full-time hours? I’ve heard there are quite a few going at the moment, though again I don’t have details.

[quote=“almas john”]The OP James is lucky you guys bothered responding. I had a look at his post but these kinds of moronically vague questions drive me nuts.

His follow-up post [quote]Where and how?[/quote] was even worse - three words, three f@#ing words. Why would anyone feel inclined to spend time writing a detailed response linking to websites and such?[/quote]

OK…I’ll be more specific. I am a tough guy so I can teach any level whether it’s adults or kids. However, I just cannot teach Kindergarteners because:
1- It’s illegal
2- I like to make progress with students (they are usually so young that their minds haven’t even developed
proper cognition yet these freak parents still send them to school and actually think they can learn English)
3- I am just simply not good with little kids. I didn’t get a four year college degree to come out to asia and baby
sit Taiwanese kids

And by full-time, I mean working enough hours to make the usual 50-60K a month like I do working in kindergartens. I posted an ad on tealit for teachers available and the only calls I got were for full time jobs teaching kindergarteners or part time afternoon evening hours at buxibans where they wouldn’t give me an ARC and provide me with 8-12 hours a week which is not enough to get by on. I have taught adults but the most hours I was ever able to get doing that was 8 hours a week.

I swear one of my biggest regrets was not studying teaching in college(hence teaching certification) so then at least I could get a job at an elementary school and actually possibly enjoy my job. I’d kill to have one of those jobs right now.

[quote=" responding to sandman lotusblossom"]…unlike myself, you’ve never had the bottle to come out into the open and tell us what kind of work you do. [/quote]Everyone knows that sandman is a fortune cookie writer.

Seriously, if you just look at sandman’s profile, you will notice that he wrote “editor” in the section interpreted “occupation.”

Anyways,

I will agree that good paying jobs are not the most common, but right now there is a crap load of job offers in Kaohsiung and none of them require a MA. Some of them do not even require a BA. They will accept a college diploma with an ESL license. In fact, most buxibans will accept that.

To answer the OP, I guess it depends what you consider “full-time.” If you mean 40hrs./week as in many other full time jobs, then I’d say that this is hard to achieve without taking on morning kindy classes. You might be able to reach this by working 6 days/ week.

Do the math. Most buxibans have afternoon classes and they operate until 9~10pm at the latest. You can find a school that will give you block hours from about 2pm until 9pm, but often times they will have no classes on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. That leaves you with about 28 hrs./week. If you get a five days a week gig, then your looking at about 35 hrs./week. Many people get privates to fill in the gaps on days off. This said, I think 35 hours/week in a classroom is enough. If you add preparation time, etc, it usually takes you well over 40hrs per week. So yes, it’s possible, but a bit harder to find than it is to just add morning kindy classes to your schedule to make up the hours.

marboulette

Edit/PS: I just read your last post after I posted the above. If you are really only after 50~60K. /month, that only requires about 24 hours of work per week. By all means that is possible without teaching kindy. With a wooden leg and a speech impediment. :wink:

I agree with Marboulette. Absolutely no reason why the OP shouldn’t be able to get a regular buxiban job (non-kindy) with around 24 contact hours a week.

James, I mentioned Dave’s ESL and Taiwanted earlier. Here are the links. There are some jobs advertised on both sites that don’t appear to require any kindy teaching.
eslcafe.com/joblist/
taiwanted.com/index.php?catid=44

Try contacting some of the chains such as Shane or Davids, for steady hours. You may get a lower hourly rate but if you factor in travel time and cancellations, etc, from jobs higher pay but fewer hours, it can make sense.

James wrote: [quote]almas john wrote:
The OP James is lucky you guys bothered responding. I had a look at his post but these kinds of moronically vague questions drive me nuts.

His follow-up post
Quote:
Where and how?
was even worse - three words, three f@#ing words. Why would anyone feel inclined to spend time writing a detailed response linking to websites and such?

OK…I’ll be more specific. I am a tough guy so I can teach any level whether it’s adults or kids. However, I just cannot teach Kindergarteners because:
1- It’s illegal
2- I like to make progress with students (they are usually so young that their minds haven’t even developed
proper cognition yet these freak parents still send them to school and actually think they can learn English)
3- I am just simply not good with little kids. I didn’t get a four year college degree to come out to asia and baby
sit Taiwanese kids

And by full-time, I mean working enough hours to make the usual 50-60K a month like I do working in kindergartens. I posted an ad on tealit for teachers available and the only calls I got were for full time jobs teaching kindergarteners or part time afternoon evening hours at buxibans where they wouldn’t give me an ARC and provide me with 8-12 hours a week which is not enough to get by on. I have taught adults but the most hours I was ever able to get doing that was 8 hours a week.

I swear one of my biggest regrets was not studying teaching in college(hence teaching certification) so then at least I could get a job at an elementary school and actually possibly enjoy my job. I’d kill to have one of those jobs right now.[/quote]

James,
If your definition of a good job is basically plenty of hours and a steady income, then that’s not a problem. Your standard buxiban job will give you this. And a B.A. is all you need.

Decent jobs teaching adults are few and far between - you’ll be given a few hours here and a few hours there (and always the promise of more hours around the corner that never seem to materialise).

A buxiban will give you enough hours, although you will have to work Saturdays.

[quote=“almas john”]

A buxiban will give you enough hours, although you will have to work Saturdays.[/quote]I only worked for buxibans in Taiwan and I never had to work on Saturdays. Always made more than NT$60k/month, too. No need to work 6 days/week to earn 60k/month in the buxiban business. You’re looking at 24hrs/week at NT$600/hr.

marboulette

I have exactly the job you are describing (full time, salary with bonuses and overtime, no kindergarten, ARC), and I got it in my first week here. So I think they are common. I got the job through some Dewey agency. I’m leaving in November, so maybe you can have my job :slight_smile:

Finding a buxiban job that gives out more than 15 paid class hours per week is getting to be damn near impossible in Tainan. Browsing through the Tainan Bulletin these past few months and it seems like every job advertised is below 20 hours per week. You have to hold down at least 2 different part time jobs to make it these days.

Of course plenty of high schools are still looking for teachers, but you need a real teacher’s certification these days.

It is definitely pretty easy to find loads of hours with most chain schools. However, I think when the OP says “full-time job,” he might be referring to a salaried position, not one that’s paid by the hour.

As a teacher who is paid by the hour, I can say that it is pretty damn annoying to keep losing money on holidays, typhoon days and the occasional sick day. I basically a full-time worker, but am treated like a part-time worker and receive no benefits. These jobs are seem to be the most common.

I have seen quite a few salaried jobs advertised on Tealit, and have even been called about a few such jobs. However, these jobs usually require you to be in the school 8-10 hours per day. Even though you’re only teaching 5-6 hours, it is important to take into account how much time you’ll actually be spending at the school. 9 hour days for even 60-65k a month simply isn’t worth it; it comes out to well under NT$400 per hour. So even though you are paid for holidays, a few vacation days and typhoon days, in the end I think you lose a lot more money due to the hourly rate.

In my school, I’m about 4.5 hours a day and am able to earn about $55k a month. It sucks that I’m not paid for typhoons and holidays, but at least I don’t have to waste so much extra time there every day. I had a part time job in the early afternoon to supplement my income, but gave it up after I started taking classes with my old university.

I know Hess and Shane (possibly other big chains) offer buxiban only contracts, though I guess getting a full 40 hours (if that’s what you consider full time) may be hard. I’m personnaly very happy with 24 hours a week, the money is reasonnable (for a sensible spender) and I actually have a life… :smiley: I see my coworkers with bushi + kindy go about eating from the 7-11 and complaining about living to work… I don’t envy them…