Is Google still working for discovering plagiarism?

Here’s a screenshot of a search that did work, but is also an example of how things don’t quite seem right. “It looks like there aren’t many great matches” - OK, sure, but there’s one EXACT match, which is what I was looking for. (And I strongly suspect that if there’s one presentation about Fleming, there are a million other sources using the same words.) Google here is basically telling me “Nope, can’t find it” while also giving me precisely what I wanted.

I dunno, just seems odd to me: I used to get long lists of matches for searches like this. Now I don’t.

(My students using academic databases?!? Not likely! :rofl: And to be honest they’re not at a reading level where they should be anywhere near academic material yet. I’m happy if they manage to cite WebMD rather than Goop or some random blog.)

1 Like

that’s a pretty basic sentence structure, isn’t it possible the student came up with it on their own?

X had seen Y Z

I think it just means that your student is the first person to plagiarize that particular sentence. That’s a kind of originality, right? Maybe they deserve a gold star?

1 Like

Past perfect used correctly is vanishingly unlikely. But there was lots around it that also seemed (and was) lifted; I just searched based on chunks that were more likely to be together in the original.

The student copying the incorrect comma spacing was icing on the cake.

Ah, if you had more than 6 words to go on, that is a different story.

1 Like