Is it a "Community" Calendar or an "Events" Calendar?

Cluttered? I just went to the calendar … that’s cluttered … BTW, is the calendar supposed to be used to promote everyday 99NT$ specials?

[quote=“Goose Egg”]

For Subway, it certainly is. I’m glad the message is coming through clearly for you :slight_smile:[/quote]

I tought it’s supposed to be an event calendar … not promoting daily specials … imagine if every business started doing it … :s than clutter will clutter out important announcements

I tought it’s supposed to be an event calendar … not promoting daily specials … imagine if every business started doing it … :s than clutter will clutter out important announcements[/quote]
Oh, you could have said that the first time around :wink:

I’m prepared to cross that bridge when we come to it. When the problem of important announcements being crowded out by specials posted by longstanding Forumosans really becomes an issue, we can raise it with them. (I will admit to some bias - I love eating at Subway, so the thought that they are promoting special deals on Forumosa just tickles me.)

Or are you saying this is a problem right now? Because I haven’t noticed it. As it stands, the Calendar seems vastly under-used to me - events or otherwise. Maybe this belongs in it’s own separate discussion?

Bottom line for me - if Forumosans who sell to fellow Forumosans were using the calendar to inform others of special deals (like free bread delivered fresh, for example) , it would be a good problem for us to have. I’ll cross my fingers in the meantime

I just happened upon this discussion. In regards to the Subway specials on the calendar, I did this at Goose Egg’s suggestion. I’d be happy to discuss this further if others think it is inappropriate.

I guess not enough people know that there is a calendar, but it should be used to announce hikes, HH, parties … one time events … not an everyday special, there are other ways to do that … imagine what would happen when Alleycats, JB’s, Tavern, Carnegies, Bongos start posting their pizza special, all day everyday breakfast …

When it’s that cluttered no one will notice the hike on Saturday … or something

But I can see from your answer that you understand my gripe …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]I guess not enough people know that there is a calendar, but it should be used to announce hikes, HH, parties … one time events … not an everyday special, there are other ways to do that … imagine what would happen when Alleycats, JB’s, Tavern, Carnegies, Bongos start posting their pizza special, all day everyday breakfast …

When it’s that cluttered no one will notice the hike on Saturday … or something[/quote]

I agree with BP, but never mentioned it before 'cos I didn’t want to grouch more than I do already. Look at the first two weeks of May. Some kind of job ad and subway promotions everyday,plus the occasional actual event. The calendar doesn’t look like an events calendar, it looks like a list of what deals are available.

Is there any way to categorise stuff in the calendar so that there are different lists? Specials, birthdays, and actual events, for instance. This would allow people to continue promoting their businesses without having to pay for banner advertising without compromising the usefulness of the calendar.

Also, the calendar is under-promoted. Maybe because there are too many other bells and whistles? Should there not be some kind of big friendly button, or even a listing of that day’s calendar events at the top of the events forum?

[quote=“Loretta”]I agree with BP, but never mentioned it before 'cos I didn’t want to grouch more than I do already. Look at the first two weeks of May. Some kind of job ad and subway promotions everyday,plus the occasional actual event. The calendar doesn’t look like an events calendar, it looks like a list of what deals are available.
[/quote]
Actually, I’m starved for feedback. So it shouldn’t surprise you that the changes that I make to the website are going to be skewed to what I find convenient (like having links mapped out together instead of a drop down list)

You shouldn’t be concerned about “grouching more” if you explain things constructively. If all you write is, “I don’t like that”, and give me nothing to go on, my likely reaction is probably going to be “well, I like that” and end of story. You aren’t like this, Loretta, which is why I ahve always welcomed your comments. FWIW I prefer you would say something than just tolerate in silence - no guarantees I’ll agree with you, but I always consider what you say.

As far as the use of the calendar right now, I think we will all agree that its going to take more than a tweak here or there to “fix it”. I’d like to avoid discouraging anyone from posting on it - jlick’s reaction above is exactly what I do not want to see. At this point, the alternative to Daily Specials on the calendar (which I have always considered “events” btw) is, well, nothing. So, give me the Specials any day

What the calendar is going to need is someone championing it. A year ago, when we were planning Taiwanease magazine, a friend of mine whose lived/worked in Taiwan for at least 10 years suggested that we prioritize an events calendar in the magazine. Something that really guided people to good events. It’s a lot easier said than done. We now have great calendar software at Taiwanease, but without a warm body to drive it and focus on it (and without sponsorship to justify having such a person), for now a great events calendar remains a nice idea.

Back to the forums - folks, if you want to see more events in the events calendar, don’t look at me. I don’t even live in Taiwan anymore. Look at yourselves - you can put your own events and encourage others to use by pointing out how easy it is. Nothing is keeping the hikes and parties and what-have-you from being posted - certainly not the Cool Specials.

And if the specials are somehow in the way, we’ll change it. Or we’ll use the Events calendar at Taiwanease, it oughta be ready to roll by then

A 99 NT$ all year, fish, shrimp, chicken sandwich special isn’t much of an event … in no time people are going to put up the specialty menu … :slight_smile:

… many people posting events in the forum, just direct them to the calendar …

Is it year-round? I missed that bit. But as for no time at all for speciality menus, I haven’t seen it yet - the Subway Specials are not new.

I believe the events mod does/did tell people to timestamp their events. The calendar, however, is present throughout the forums.

The current special ends May 31. However, there will probably be another one starting again sooner or later.

The current special ends May 31. However, there will probably be another one starting again sooner or later.[/quote]

Isn’t that the point? It’s not an event, it’s just the current special. There’s always another one, there will always be some Subway event listed, every day, which makes it not really an event. It’s more of a report on the current or forecast state of affairs at Subway.

They are events for me - unfortunately, the Subway near my workplace doesn’t seem to run daily specials. They should - it usually isn’t busy whenever I go

I think of the Calendar as a Community Calendar - so Forumosans can post and timestamp what they want, however they see fit. If it was “just” an events calendar, it wouldn’t be accessible in the Parenting Forum or other non-event-related forums.

Right. I’ll shut up then.

I too will shut up … no more events for me …

I understand and appreciate Goose Egg’s point of view, but I’ve always felt that the calendar was an Events calendar. If I had my druthers, it would be for one-off community events. We have options for advertisers, and Subway would certainly be most welcome to advertise on Forumosa! Like Gus, I am a big fan of Subway, and probably jlick’s most loyal (Forumosan) customer!

Can you add a tab for the calendar at the top, where the taiwanted and taiwanese things are?

And put a banner in the events forum reminding people to make use of it.