Is it a good time to buy an Apple Computer?

One thing to note when buying your Apple - only Taiwan has Apples with Sucheng or Zhuyin on the keys. If you buy elsewhere it’s stickers or external keyboards.

simple hassle-free solution : keyboard silicon cover with different chinese keys.

Can’t stand them. Like typing through a condom. No matter what the tag lines say, it just doesn’t feel the same.

Oops…forgot that Apple recently refreshed the plastic Macbook. Was still stuck thinking that they had the Intel x3100 inside. Nevertheless the unibodies have higher clocks than the plastic ones, plus LED backlighting.

In the market for the 13" inch base model Macbook Pro, anyone got any suggestions on which shops have the best price. I wish I knew someone in HK, cause they sell for almost $4,000nt less there than in Taiwan.

someone offers the 13 inch at a good price here… drop me a PM if you were not contacted yet
Teachers are eligible for a discount under the “education” program I saw on their website.

Do you mean the one purchased from America? If it is the guy has sold it already. Not sure if Taiwan has the educational discount program here. The Apple Store website doesn’t even have monthly financing like in the US.

Yep- it was him. I had to give in on my stepdaughter wish to buy a 15 inch in HK…
TW does has the Educational discount program on the official website.
Financing in Taiwan? :no-no: hard valuta is all what counts here. Credit cards are used by most TWease to spread payments (at ridiculous intrest rates)
Wife and I played around, and nowhere was any “proof” requested to show being eligible (but we did not go all the way selecting “pay now”) :smiley:

If given a choice between buying a Mac Desktop with Monitor, and also a new Mac Laptop, should we buy in HK, Taiwan or the US?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Update: Picked up a MacBook Pro 13 with 2.53GHZ for $42,500nt. The guy I bought it from gets developer prices. PM me if any of you need his number.

Too bad - too late. Stepdaughter’s similar model costed 48K in HK - though still 5K cheaper than RSP here in TW.

This is anecdotal, but I have found my Apple computers to be more reliable than the many Windows-based machines I owned previously. I bought an iMac about a year and a half ago, and a Macbook Pro for my wife earlier this year. So far there has not been a single crash or problem with either. I also like how the Mac OS comes standard with photo, movie, and music editing programs. We also have an Apple Time Capsule, which is both a wireless router and backup device that can be easily set to automatically backup files. The first backup takes about a day, but after that it only records changes, so we barely notice it running in the background. And we bought Apple iPhones, so its a simple matter of plugging them into our computers and getting our contacts, calendar, music, photos etc. synced up. The reliability and ease of us was well worth the additional money upfront.

Repairs… if you don’t live in Taipei, but rather in the boondocks, getting an Apple repaired could be a hassle even if it’s desktop. They may be more reliable but they STILL breakdown… It’s the single biggest reason I don’t have an Apple, I couldn’t bear the hassle of getting it fixed. The WinPCs… you just run to the store (If you can) and buy new components if you need to or want to… They’re mostly out of action for a few days AT most. Hence, I reckon on a PC desktop for ease of repair, otherwise it’s back to the factory for repair (ALL notebooks included)… meaning you could be without a PC for a while…

Either buy two PCs (one mac/one PC) so you always have something to use or buy a desktop/notebook combination (either mac or PC) so you don’t have to go without.

Relying on one computer is not wise, ESP. if it’s a MAC and can’t be fixed quickly…

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Relying on one computer is not wise, ESP. if it’s a MAC and can’t be fixed quickly…

Kenneth[/quote]Or get a smart phone.

Sorry, Amos. I wouldn’t equate a smartphone with a pc and wouldn’t use one in the event my PC broke down. :no-no: