Is it a holiday today or what?

It is 2/28 one of the biggest national holidays in Taiwan, right? And yet, the noise from random people doing construction in my neighborhood seems worse today than normal and it started a 9am!!

I guess I am just really puzzled at the work habits but also the concern for others in this country. Is it too much to ask for people who don’t have to work today, who want to enjoy a peaceful, quiet holiday, to enjoy their day off without the usual ban-saws and drills yammering away, just for one day? I realize that people are poor and don’t mind working but isn’t it a national holiday? Shouldn’t their be some modicum of concerns for other people in the neighborhood?

Thanks for letting me rant…

That’s all very well, but what about the economy, eh? Answer me that!

Haha, yeah true, the economy really sucks and people need to work…but there are really no days off in Taiwan.

I’m sure you all know that although it was a national holiday today, lord knows if it is a paid holiday or how that works, I’m sure it’s not, but people at companies had to MAKE IT UP, by working last Saturday!!! And of course, when I mention the idea of a four day weekend, companies allowing Friday off too, people look at me like I’m from Mars, of course I’m a foreigner in Taiwan, so I’m used to it…but I mean what is the point of having a holiday? haha…

I do understand that people in this economy need to work, and restaurants are all open, it’s amazing how hard people work here…I’m just saying, shouldn’t there be some concern for the people that don’t? If it is a national holiday shouldn’t there be a rule nobody can work at construction sites etc…No there clearly is not…the noise pollution is horrible here, less than China or Thailand or other places. I mean at least work stops at 5 or 6pm or thereabouts…in China and Thailand construction work was going on late into the night, so it’s apples and oranges I guess.

Finley needed a sarcasm icon above :slight_smile:.

Yes, I guess the OP is American :wink:

Anyway, I agree with you, OP - I was being facetious. The pundits always rant about how “the economy” isn’t doing so well, but nobody really knows what “the economy” is. As far as I can figure out, it means “rich people”, whose stocks aren’t performing at 20% this year, and they’re getting uppity about it.

Noise pollution (pollution in general, really) and lack of holidays is, in reality, part of “the economy”. If people are working too hard, then obviously there is something wrong with the way goods and services are being provided. The economy is a means to an end. If people can’t get a good night’s sleep because of traffic noise, or can’t work because some idiot with a jackhammer is repairing the road (for the fifth time this year), or don’t have enough time to look after their kids, then the economy is broke: not because it’s failing to circulate enough currency (which is what most people mean) but because it’s not delivering the correct outputs, or is offloading too many externality costs onto the general public.

Perhaps some people are just taking advantage of a day off to do some home improvement jobs. Or maybe getting some work done to their office while it’s closed for the day. I’m working 8 a.m. - 9 p.m., what do I care?

If you have a day off and it’s peace and quiet you are looking for, you’d do best to hop on something with wheels and get out of town.

[quote=“scj”]Haha, yeah true, the economy really sucks and people need to work…but there are really no days off in Taiwan.

I’m sure you all know that although it was a national holiday today, lord knows if it is a paid holiday or how that works, I’m sure it’s not, but people at companies had to MAKE IT UP, by working last Saturday!!! And of course, when I mention the idea of a four day weekend, companies allowing Friday off too, people look at me like I’m from Mars, of course I’m a foreigner in Taiwan, so I’m used to it…but I mean what is the point of having a holiday? haha…[/quote]

Today is a paid vacation day for me, and having to work last Saturday was not to make up for today (2/28). It was to make up for Friday (2/15), which allowed people to have a longer CNY break.

It is a national holiday today, he’s just pointing out Taiwan’s lack of holidays in general.
2/28 and 10/10, the worlds dullest national holidays.

They especially suck because they often occur midweek. Most of Taiwan’s holidays suck tbh. 4/4 would suck except the government usually finds a way to make it a 4 day weekend. Moon festival is rather overrated also.

Haven’t you guys read all that wailing from local economists as this month had fewer working days so the economic performance is going to be lower, woe is us, we’re doomed? And unfortunately I am being serious… That’s how they justify firings, no salary raises, etc…sigh :loco: