Is it easy to travel with a pet (cat/dog) around the island?

Hi all, I haven’t seen any article talking about this … so I’ll put this topic up.
If someone has posted a similar article, please let me know (link). Thanks.

Has anyone travelled around Taiwan with pets (cat/dog)? Is it easy to find housing/hotel?
Do most ‘Bed & Breakfast’ places accept pets? Are these expensive?
Just wondering. Thanks.

Yes, I have friends who travel with their dogs. It’s pretty easy to find pet-friendly places to stay. You can take a dog or cat on a train if you have a carrier, but of course it’s much better to travel by car.

You will first need to do some research about places to stay. You can check online for guesthouses and small hotels and then call, or ask a friend to call, and see if they are pet-friendly. It’s not common to advertise being pet-friendly, you should ask.

Sometimes you can find some blogs of animal lovers who travel around.

I have some friends who take their cat everywhere they go too! That’s Chuck. He’s been to the top of Taipei 101, to the northern and southern ends of Taiwan and to the beaches in the east.

Where do you want to go?

[quote=“douglas@taichungpaws.org”]Yes, I have friends who travel with their dogs. It’s pretty easy to find pet-friendly places to stay. You can take a dog or cat on a train if you have a carrier, but of course it’s much better to travel by car.
…(omit)
Where do you want to go?[/quote]

I’m in Taipei, and I’d like to visit southern part of Taiwan. It seems that the whole/part of Taipei is NOT pet friendly (cuz I have had to fend off some strangers looking and yelling at my dogs - they’re MUTT). I can only imagine travelling down south with my fur babies. :slight_smile:
I’d like to visit KenTing, Kaoshiung, etc, but I guess I have to acquire a CAR first. ha ha~Thanks for the reply.

wretch.cc/album/hn85385568

Here’s a guesthouse on the little island Liu Chiu, which is just off the coast of Kaohsiung. You take a boat from KHH harbor. My friends went there with their dog. The guesthouse in the website is named for the owners golden retriever.

There are other places like this all around Taiwan; just a matter of asking around.

If people “yell” at you because of your dog, just ignore them. You and your dog have a right to walk around on the streets just as others do. There are various rules about parks, but for the most part you have a right to be there too. Just be friendly, ignore their remarks, and carry on about your business.

Hi guys,

I am looking for some cat-friendly hotels or B&Bs either in JiuFen, Alishan, or somewhere in Nantou. Will have some more time off, and would like to spend a few days somewhere out of the city, but don’t want to leave my cat in pet hotel. He is very domesticated and quiet.

The XiaoliuQiu hotel link doesn’t work anymore too… any new recommendations? Can be also other beautiful locations, just easy to get to by train :slight_smile: