Is it imporant for the president can speak fluent English?

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Why not? It would seem to be right should Taiwan ever get to Home plate with American, because I am certain that Bush and Co. aint gonna learn Chinese. What is Condi gonna go back to school? Doubt it.[/quote]

Bush, Sr studied and speaks Chinese.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
What is Condi gonna go back to school? Doubt it.[/quote]

I am sure Condi could learn Chinese very quickly. After all, she learned to speak Russian and use the Cryllic alphabet very quickly and faster than most of her peers when studying under Josef Korbel – he demanded that his students do so.

My dubious claim to fame is that I shook CSB’s hand (99?) during an election rally before he became pres. And no before you ask I just came across the rally while walking over to a friend’s, and stuck out an arm with everyone else.

All I can tell you is that he can’t pronounce his 'th’s (sank you), and that he has very greasy palms. Unfortunately I didnt have the chance to offer help with pronunciation.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Namahottie”]
Why not? It would seem to be right should Taiwan ever get to Home plate with American, because I am certain that Bush and Co. aint gonna learn Chinese. What is Condi gonna go back to school? Doubt it.[/quote]

Bush, Sr studied and speaks Chinese.[/quote]
Did he ever use it in any official capacity?

I can’t think of many things more frightening for US-China-Taiwan relations than CSB trying to articulate his policy on China to GWB in broken Chinglish!

Incidentally, I don’t know if this is true or not, but I heard that when Clinton went to China, he didn’t speak a word of Chinese and his advisors were trying to think of a way to make him remember a few simple phrases. They told him to just say “Shit, Shit” fast for thankyou, figuring he’d remember that one :laughing:

I am sure Clinton could remember “knee ho!” considering his love of sleazy interns :smiling_imp:

I’d imagine so – he was the US Ambassador to Beijing from '74-'75.

I’d imagine so – he was the US Ambassador to Beijing from '74-'75. [/quote]
And don’t forget Junior’s Chinese pajama parties.

Did he ever use it in any official capacity?[/quote]
He once used it famously in an unofficial capacity. Greeting foreign tourists at Lafayette Park on the way home from church, George Sr. was quoted as saying, “Hey, hey, nihaoma. Hey, yeah, yeah. Heil, heil - a kind of Hitler salute.”

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Namahottie”]

Bush, Sr studied and speaks Chinese.[/quote]

I shouldn’t have read your post before bedtime. Now I’m gonna have nightmares. :wink:

If you ask me, US educated doesn’t mean jack shit… because it is not that that makes him capable of whatever… How many people were US educated and I believe that theyr universities must be ashamed of having educated them…

Your alma mater included :roflmao:

sorry if my english sucks, but when you have to spend your day speaking 4 languages, you eventually suck on them…
what was your point then?

But then, I would preffer him to be European wise (and preferably not UK), if he seeks so much reunion. But then, when would China agree with a EU-alike solution…

I’d imagine so – he was the US Ambassador to Beijing from '74-'75.[/quote]

There was no US “ambassador” in Peiping from 1974-1975. The U.S. didn’t have relations with the PRC until Carter recognized the PRC on Jan. 1, 1979.

I’d imagine so – he was the US Ambassador to Beijing from '74-'75.[/quote]

There was no US “ambassador” in Peiping from 1974-1975. The U.S. didn’t have relations with the PRC until Carter recognized the PRC on Jan. 1, 1979.[/quote]
Nitpicking. He was appointed by Ford as head of the US liaison China, effectively the US ambassador to China.
Either way, he had an opportunity to use Chinese. :raspberry:

He was the “Chief of the U.S. Liaison Office in the People’s Republic of China” from 1974 to 1976. He was the “unoffical ambassador”. Like the AIT now.

So does that mean back then mainland Chinese were “marginalized” and “hurt” by Taiwan’s unreasonable “oppression”? Did anybody hold hands on the Great Wall and make signs that said “China Yes! Taiwan No!”?