Is it legal for foreigners to help campaign?

Uncle is running for village mayor. He wants the whole family including kids, wife and I to March, shake hands and pass out flyers.
I believe there is a law barring non-citizens from participating in demonstrations or electoral campaigns.
Can I attend the party? Can I wear the hat? Or should I just avoid the area. My kids are dual citizens so there’s no problem with that.
I have permanent residency status by the way.

It is always illegal.
From facial features, skin tones and body appearance in general, could you passed on as Taiwanese (Han/Hoklo or indigenous Formosan)? If no, you better distance your ass from such activity.

Yeah. I’m going to take a little me time and go into the city. I want citizenship eventually. So, I gotta keep my nose clean.
The other party, I’m sure would complaining if a foreigner would get involved.
I would love the a copy of the actual rules in Chinese to show the inlaws.

The relevant law(s) are immigration laws which state you are only allowed to participate in activities for which you were granted entry.

So, it’s fuzzy.

Say, you enter Taiwan on a tourist visa, are you allowed to participate in a demonstration for gay rights? Probably yes because of the optics of expelling pro-gay rights activists. But, in that case how about participating in anti gay demonstrations?

tell your (Taiwanese?) wife to tell/show him the rules and that it would jeopardize any chance at becoming a Taiwanese citizen, and therefore the likely loss of one potential future voter/ supporter of the uncle if not more losses of voters if you have to leave the country.

Wouldn’t the easiest for you to just call NIA and ask if you are allowed to go and participate in your uncles activities ? Bring someone with you as witness to the advice they gave you.

Seems kind of dick move on part of NIA to advice you to stay home when the rest of your family goes, especially if you are here on a family visa

As said, this has to do with immigration laws

I hope they deport a few foreigners who accepted packs of free toilet paper.

I try to snake those pens with a small light on the end for the children.

1 Like

Taiwan is fuzzy.
I have an APARC now. So, I’m not sure my rights to work or even be here are connected to my wife anymore.
I’m on the household registration as an “other” which I guess gives me a roof over my head and says that I’m a member of my wife’s household. Not my own household.
No, basically, I can do most anything I’d like but I do believe that there are really laws against non-citizens participating in any political protests.

[in discussions of in the past a forumosa members like Richard Hartzel or the other old guys would paste the exact statutes concerning this matter right in this space]
Which technically means any foreign friends of environmental or LGBQ helping out at a demonstration is technically breaking the law. The thing is, in Taiwan manythings are illegal but are not enforced unless someone complains.
Going to the NIA seem like a good idea. But I live an hour away from Kaohsiung or Pingtung and my Chinese is not so good.
Could one of our Chinese speaking members do me a favor and place a call to the NIA and ask the question? If it is possible, please get the name and number of the person you spoke with private message me.
In fuzzy cases such as this, clerk one may say yes and give you the appropriate paperwork. Clerk 2 may say no way. No possible exceptions. At least that’s how it was ten years ago.
It would be fun to participate, but, it would also be fun to do something else.

Sure, so just go down to NIA and explain that your whole family, including kids, are doing this thing with your uncle and ask them if you are allowed to join your family or if you should stay at home.

Bring someone along, so that NIA will not go back on their advice later.

Recently there was an American (former PRC national) on stage giving quite the speech at the Formosa Alliance referendum rally. The fact that he was American was stressed during his introduction by the host.

Not exactly the same as campaigning for a candidate, but definitely political activity on a highly sensitive topic by a foreign citizen.

For those who read mandarin

Act to Implement the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights

So, perhaps that was in line with this stated reason for visiting Taiwan? Could the guy perhaps have been invited by formosa alliance to taiwan and that on arrival to taiwan it was stated so as his purpose of visit ?

Quick help request. Can someone please give me the full name and phone number of the NIA in Kaohsiung?
I will have to do this by telephone and request an email if permission needs to be granted.
I don’t believe I’ve ever interacted with this department in person before. When I got my permanent residency card, immigration was still handled by the Foreign Service Police.
How is there English? What is their General attitude towards foreigners? I need my last interaction with them was filling out the application. We mistakenly wrote Taiwan as the country. the older officer made a very big deal about erasing it very slowly and then putting in the ROC.
The old times

Information for Foreigners
Inquiries for foreigners regarding daily living in Taiwan, service available in Mandarin Chinese, English, and Japanese
24 Hours
Immigration Affairs Division (Service provided by commissioning Chunghwa Telecom)

Kaohsiung City First Service Center
1F., No.436, Chenggong 1st Rd., Qianjin Dist., Kaohsiung City 801, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
07-2821400 (Inquiry Hotline)、
07-2213478(Foreigner Consulting Hotline)、
07-2810030(Immigrant Assistance and Guidance Hotline)

Kaohsiung City Second Service Center
No.115, Gangshan Rd., Gangshan Dist., Kaohsiung City 820, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
07-6212143、07-6236294、07 -6218074、07-6218804、07-6211446

Taipei City Service Center
No.15, Guangjhou St., Jhongjheng Dist., Taipei City 100, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
02-23899983(Taiwan Consulting Hotline、
Overseas Please Dial 886-2-23899983)
02-23883929(Foreign Student、Draftee Consulting Hotline)

“Foreign Affairs Police (警政署) mingled with protesters . . . warned organizers that any foreigners without permanent Alien Resident Certificates (ARCs) who spoke at the event would be deported for violating immigration laws meant to prevent “outside interests” from influencing domestic politics.”

Seems this is selectively applied.

Yeah, Taiwan is fuzzy.
Just as the previous post was being written, I was on the phone with the immigration office.
The people at the first number I called did not speak any English and transferred me to someone that really does not deal with the public. She asked me to call another number. That person did not understand the question at first then said that she thought there may not be a problem. when asked if I could have it in writing she said she was really not sure of the rules and suggested I call the foreign service Police Department to be sure.
I called the Foreign Service Police Department Kaohsiung.
The officer who answered the phone transferred me to an English-speaking officer.
Here’s the Shocker: the officer answered in a sunny voice and he had a sunny friendly disposition.
I explain the situation that uncle wants the whole family to join the parade and yada yada yada.
He ask me the question “Why should I not be able to?”
I told them that when I first came to Taiwan there were rules against foreigners participating in any political activity no matter what resident card you have.
He asked me if I intended to speak and I replied telling him that I just wanted to join the walk and the passing out of literature and shaking hands and stuff.
He then told me that he does not think there is a problem at all.
I asked him if you would not mind giving me his name which he did.
He then fought about it and told me that I should double-check with the immigration department. I told him that they were not really sure and leave referred me to his organization.
He sounded kind of surprised. I told him no basically when you want to do something you have to go through a lot of departments.
Hi end of the conversation thanking him for his help and Let There were rules like that. And he said maybe a long time ago, yes.
So in conclusion, I guess I should be able to join my family. I have phone records that stated I made the calls. And I’ve gotten the name. If I unintentionally broke some kind of wall I guess this would be an adequate legal defense.
What would you do?
I’m almost betting that the next post that will appear in this thread will tell me of a poor Foreigner who tried to dot all the I’s and cross all the t’s and was still deported.
I remember the story of an English Teacher/ musician in the East who loved Taiwan and even worked for the government on special projects being deported for playing music.

I think you are over thinking it, just go for it

make a documentary of everything you do throughout your campaign experience. sell it to distributor. try for Cannes Film Festival or De Niro’s or Redford’s, then target Oscar documentary category. Just remember me with 5% of gross.