Is it legal to discriminate based on nationality or ethnicity?

Racism or the promotion of racism against any ethnic group is illegal in Taiwan and can result in heavy fines or imprisonment. That includes at work, in schools, or even online forums and websites.

Discrimination by race, gender, etc in job ads against taiwanese nationals is expressly forbidden in ESA. Is it applied to foreigners too?

1 Like

Ah ok good point! Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll try and find out.

Well, the ā€œforeignerā€ box sure as $hit wasnā€™t added because of affirmative action. And I donā€™t think most employers use the aboriginal box to try to attract more qualified Aboriginal candidates either. I doubt that is really on the radar for most of them, unless there is some sort of government subsidy for salary involved.

1 Like

I just finished translating the annual report for a very large company in Taiwan ā€“ you might have seen them, um, overhead ā€“ who responded to the ā€œdiversityā€ query by pointing out that the various males on their board of directors had different backgrounds: one was law, one was businessā€¦

5 Likes

Yep, it seems pretty obvious to me

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much repression ā€¦ Everywhere?

@yyy, could you split the discussion on aboriginals because that is an off topic from the supposed them a of this thread?

I changed the title of the thread because itā€™s not just about discriminating against certain nationalities. I think the thread is fine how it is now.

Aboriginals are foreigners? I asked the opening question on foreigners, because I know discriminations in job ads against taiwanese nationals are illegal.

Oh, someone changed the title again. And now Iā€™ve undone that.

Iā€™m locking this thread temporarily. Please air your grievances in either Temp or Feedback. When the dust has settled Iā€™ll unlock this one.