Is it next to impossible to find an internship in Taiwan?

Hi everyone,

As said in the title, I think that finding a long-term internship in Taiwan, if not impossible, is difficult. Oddly enough, particurlarly in importation and exportation of goods and services.

The locals seem confused between what a “real” job and what an internhip is, and foreign companies are incredibly rare for a country as economically strong as Taiwan. Also, I already tried Economic and cultural offices but they dont seem to have a large database of companies.

Do you have any ideas of where I could get a list of foreign companies to contact ?

What are your opinions on this matter ?

Have you checked out these guys? interns.com.tw/en

Do you have Taiwanese citizenship? I would imagine that companies wouldn’t want to bother with interns that don’t have work rights here, either because it’s not possible for them to do it legal, and it’s too much expense and hassle, or that it is perceived to be.

If you’re an overseas Taiwanese doing university abroad, there are a couple options I think. One of them is called Taiwan Tech Trek. My (former) organization had a few “migratory birds” come over every summer for a two-month internship.

I thought internship, by definition, was a short term job. I hire interns but only partnered through the university system in Taiwan. Maybe your school has such a program. There are many foreign companies in Taiwan, search for any foreign semiconductor company and they likely have an operation here.

Trust me, you don’t want an internship in Taiwan. Internships means slaves in this part of the world.
Work shadowing? Gaining new insights on business processes from insightful managers?
How about gaining valuable networking opportunities? Valuable training on your field?

How about No

Most employers here don’t like the hassle of the paperwork involved in hiring a foreigner. So unless they really need you/your skills, they won’t offer you a job, much less an internship. May I ask why an internship? Why not find a regular job instead? If you’re just looking to learn the language, there are university exchange programs sometimes.

get a work permit through your university,
it will make it easier to get an internship
you can get it after you have studied for at least one year
you can work only 16 hours per week

Saw this:

taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem= … CtNode=419

Fascinating.

Hi everyone and thanks for your feedback and your insightful answers.
First things first: I’m going to answer your questions: I am a French citizen and I already studied one year of Chinese in Taiwan. Actually, in order to graduate, Im required to do an internship of at least 6 months. I already knew the situation about internships around here, but I still wanted to give it a try. Oh well, after your answers, I might reconsider it :smiley:
Like Aurora01 said, employers don’t like paperwork around here. Im still trying to contact foreign companies though.

Don’t you love how they report this stuff only after it’s happened? I don’t care how many people attended the job fair – I just care that I wasn’t one of them.

Don’t you love how they report this stuff only after it’s happened? I don’t care how many people attended the job fair – I just care that I wasn’t one of them.

One wonders if/how this event was publicized, like at local colleges, which ones, etc. Interestingly, in the past TAITRA has made recriting trips to top universities, like in California, similar events.