Is it normal to spend 700 USD or 21,000 NTD in 3 months?

I come from upper middle class family from East Asia country recently move to Taiwan for study purposes

I spend roughly 700 USD for entertainment such as going to clubs and beers in a span of 3 months since coming to Taiwan alone.

is this normal ammounts pending or should i cut off my spending?

Drinking is expensive, it depends on your budget though. Do you feel you should cut your spending?

3 Likes

I do feel i’d rather allocate my spending towards food and transportation instead

Well. Transportation is fairly cheap in Taipei. Same with food if you cook at home. We’re talking about recreation though, that is most likely the first thing that should just be axed or shaved. Nursing a beer is cheaper and keeps you outta trouble too :wink:

It is DEFINITELY easy to spend that much on clubbing and drinking. It’s why I haven’t been to the sky bar at Nanshan Plaza since they opened, that’s for a special occasion.

If you can save $15000 out of that $21000 and use the rest as your recreation money, you could invest with the savings.

That’s like 7k a month… I can easily spend that much on a single night out (not that I am happy about it the morning after, especially you can get totally wasted for less than 1k if 7/11 is your bar)

I’d say it all depends on how much you earn/how big is your budget, but in any case that’s less than 2k/weekend so I’d say it’s not a lot

4 Likes

I wish to be spending that in 3 months… that’s my credit card bill in one month if I behave well…

However, to stay on the cheaper side, avoid going to bar/pubs, drink only beers from 7/famima/hilife (which are the very same at the end) and eat as much as possible local.

You can really save a lot doing that. Booze, good booze (but even very bad one in grifty places) is not cheap here.

1 Like

I’d say as a student that is possibly average or a little high.

A professional working person can easily spend that in a week or maybe even one night out.

2 Likes

No love for OK Mart.

It’s not great, just OK.

6 Likes

there are so few of them. I can’t even tell you if there is one in Neihu haha, or near my office in Songshan

I think it’s up to you. My budget app says that my average monthly spending on alcohol has been between NT$3,200 (in 2022) and NT$6,200 (in 2018) over the last several years, but if you can afford it and you don’t see a problem with the amount you drink, it doesn’t sound particularly excessive to me.

Personally, I can easily spend NT$,1000-1,200 per night in a bar (more than that makes me feel guilty), but then I don’t go to particularly expensive bars or really drink at home.

(These numbers don’t include food bought alongside alcohol, and November and December 2022 weren’t dry months - I just wasn’t in Taiwan for the most part. In those months I spent 11,963 and 6,541 baht on alcohol instead, but that was a vacation. :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

For Taiwan that is. They’re still everywhere, just not as dense.

1 Like

just did a quick search, they are all strategically located in places I do not pass through on any normal commute haha

1 Like

Looks like they do an OK job of spying on you.

1 Like

One night out…emm…on what.

well, fancy restaurants with the right bottle of wine, not difficult unfortunately if you want to go all the way. No drugs or hookers needed, just fancy food and expensive booze.

When I first got here, I was earning (to me) a fortune. I could easily spend 20k on a weekend. Now, I recycle my beer empties at the Seven for 2NT/bottle, and I’m still struggling to keep afloat.

Back in the days when I was a student I spent $$$ on drinking and clubbing. Met lots of great people, many of which I am still friends with now. Also shared plenty a drink with my wife before she became my wife. For me drinking is a great social lubricant.

But as almost everyone else on this thread says, depends on what your priorities are.

3 Likes

It depends on your overall budget and your priorities.
For example, if NT$7000 per month is only 10% or less of your overall budget, I think it’s OK, but if it takes half or more of your total budget, then maybe you should think where is it more important to put your money.

For some people drinking and going to clubs is very important, but for others (like me) it is not. My monthly expending in alcohol and clubs is close to zero and I’m happy this way because I don’t need it, but if spending NT$7000 per month is what makes you happy and you can afford it without feeling guilty, then just do it.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m just old and no fun anymore, but a budget approaching 10% for beer and clubs sounds way excessive.

One night at a KTV you could easily spend that.

When I first arrived there were all you can drink bars which helped save money but gave terrible hangovers.

2 Likes