Is it possible to get divorce during the naturalization process?

Hello Forumoseans

I’m going to submit my application for naturalization soon. But I have come to know that there is 1 year waiting period right after I get certificate of naturalization. But my relationship with my wife at the moment is at worst. She has been threatening me and often slapped me during our everyday quarrels. It is suffocating and frustrating when we are in the same apartment which is also in her name. She often threatens to kick me out. So can anyone please tell if it is possible to get divorce during the naturalization process. If it is, how can one live without household registration unless you have the Taiwanese ID in hand?

Thanks to all advance.

Well, sounds like every day life of a marriage to a Taiwanese. Threatened to get kicked out is daily program, twice on Sundays. Water-cooker flies on Mondays. For the rest: Not sure what divorce might do to your naturalization process. Nullify it?
Anyways, all the best to you. Life ain’t easy.

in your situation, i would think twice about naturalisation.

you may find that your old passport is much better than a Taiwanese one when you inevitably leave Taiwan (or when Taiwan becomes a part of China).

If you are applying based on marriage then you may have a problem. Don’t forget you have a long period after naturalization where you can still be stripped of citizenship for bad behavior. Your wife, even if you separate will have a lot of leeway over you. She may deny you a divorce which means you can’t have an open relationship with someone else as she could charge you with infidelity.

I would forgo the process and secure an aprc if you don’t already have one. You can divorce with a aprc no problem. I did. I divorced a month after receiving mine.

Best of luck.

You can get divorced first and still apply for naturalization as long as you have a valid ARC.

Your divorce has no bearing on citizenship you just need to have lived here for 183 days in one calendar year in the last 5 years. There is a facebook group for foreigners in Taiwan that has this information.;jsessio … true&cur=7

Hi continuing with the topic.
the same proble, with my wife things are not going well.
I we married outside Taiwan and here with certificated in the Family Office and have the Family certificated.
in the migration office do the migration form, (our itention are live in tw) and the give me the ROC Taiwan Resident Certificate.
I have my ARC for 4 months in december need renew (with this ARC I can work and do everything)
but the relationship not going well.
which it is your advice in this case? I would like to stay and live in taiwan

Stay married for the next 4 years and 8 months and apply for an APRC or find a job who sponsor you a work visa.
That’s all u can do. from the day u got the work visa the 5 years to be eligible for the APRC are starting again from the day you got your work visa.
or make every 3 months a visa run

[quote=“tom1807”]Stay married for the next 4 years and 8 months and apply for an APRC or find a job who sponsor you a work visa.
That’s all u can do. from the day u got the work visa the 5 years to be eligible for the APRC are starting again from the day you got your work visa.
or make every 3 months a visa run[/quote]

understand, I have more than five months in The University studying Chinese. I plan to continue studying minimum 1-2 years more.
if I divorce, I can apply here for study visa? or I have to leave the country? after 6 months I can apply for ARC again? or if divorce can directly aplly for ARC?
and may have some influence or problem, if I have a bank account and a small apartment in my name?
Becouse if divorce what happens with this, becouse they have my name and my ARC number (JFRV-abtain the ARC)

You can stay and study, but keep this in mind: If you have a study based ARC the times as a student does not count towards an APRC. Plus, you cannot work legally -in most cases, or if legal, very limited. Plus remember as a student you are subject to time and grade restrictions -attendance must be above par or else your visa is cancelled, same if you fail your tests.

Your ARC must be supported by a steady job in case of work visa. Bank account and appartment are no problem as long as you are paying your taxes. but no help in getting a visa. You can stay only if you are married or work or study. But you can only get an APRC if you are married or work -as a single person, and stay here 5 years. Nationality after 3, but same rules apply: if you are a styudnets, the time will not count, either.

FYI, that’s for an APRC. OP is talking about naturalization/citizenship.

Entonces, if my intention is to stay in taiwan. first get a job, divorce and that take me again with a work visa… talk is easy…
I continued studying and no have plans to leave the study, absences and grades, zero problems!
and one more. if you have study visa you cant change if after you find a job?


This is the question I was gonna ask. Am married to a local for more than ten years and was wondering if I’d have to leave in the event of a divorce. Have APRC for three years now.

Please note study visa time DOES NOT count for naturalization or APRC purposes. It is moot. Useless. Plus the time you can stay in Taiwan with a student visa -in spite of good records and attandance- is limited. When it runs out, you are simply kicked…unless you find plan B: getting married again, job, etc.

If you have an APRC that means permanent. It does not depend anymore on any other reason to stay, be it work or marriage. If you have enough money, you can stay at home and watch telenovelas all day long, get divorced, find a GF or become a monk. Your choice. That is the beauty of the APRC.

However, by the nature of your question, I wonder if you are confusing a JFRV with an APRC. Please check what kind you have. Both offer Open Work rights. However, as said, the APRC is not dependent on anything else. If you have a doubt, you can PM me a photo of the thinghie and I’ll confirm for you.

Moreover, even if you have an JFRV, gone are the days when they could easily give you the boot after divorce. Now we can make it harder. Not imposible if the family is well connected/loaded and especially possible if there is money/male heir in between. That is why I warn everyone: get an APRC so at least you cannot be kicked out.

Just remember: only an APRC -or nationality- gives you the freedom to stay or go as you please. A marriage JFRC, though easier to get, depends on your marriage not faltering. Not to be pessimistic, but an accident, an illness, life circunstances… all are mutable. After 10 years here, paying taxes and all, you should have accumulated certain rights. Protect yourself.

Just a typo, of course, but a lovely, lovely typo. A mix of “passive” and “pessimistic”. It’s not a word, but it should be. “Eh, things aren’t going to work out unless I change how I act, so I’ll just wait and see what happens.”

1 Like

Good morning, Mr. Editor. Seems you already have had your coffee. Mine has not kicked in…

I meant pessimistic, but yes, many foreigners are either too passive -it is difficult, it can wait- or their inlaws and spouse have done the brainwashing bit in which they feed -knowingly or unknowingly- the wrong information. So that is why I tell this guy to watch his behind. And I mean watch out for something that may jump and bite him in the derrierre, not wash it.

Actually, I like that passimistic. As per your quote, is someone who has given up before the fight even starts.

And your quote could be fixed for the OP: Eh, things aren’t going to work out unless I change how I act, so I’ll just better get moving!. Either fix the marriage or get outta dodge. Don’t be what we call in Spanish the orchard guard dog: won’t eat the fruit not let others touch it.

Oh, don’t consider it an edit or a mistake. “Passimistic” borders on serendipitous poetry! It perfectly describes what you’re talking about.

1 Like

You guys should have an equivalent of la Real Academia de la Lengua Espanola. Maybe I can write to Webster’s to include this term. :ponder:

Just wondering if you would be able to let us know? Did you naturalize then divorce while a NWOHR?