Is it right or wrong to judge a person based on their photo?

Lately I’ve been observing how easy it has become for some people to develop a sort of god complex by looking at other human beings in plain disrespect. For example, if someone is born with four legs, is it right to make fun of him? I would say no.
How can one judge a person by simply looking at that person and then decide whether that person is good or bad? That’s just not possible.

My question this morning is:
Is it right or wrong to judge another person based on their photo?

Its wrong !!! I look like a im up to no good in my pics. But im always up to Good !

I get judged on my photos all the time, with people fearing I’m some kind of ice cold Russian serial killer, who’d kill you as soon as look at you. In reality though, I am the people’s champion and Manchester’s sweetheart

and top notch assassin

Good point, OP.

Perhaps you noticed that thread about HIV where several posters referred to a young woman they’ve never met and know nothing about as a “filthy skank”, based solely on comments made by an anonymous person whose credibility is completely unknown.

Do you believe that’s appropriate?

To refer to a person one has never met as a “filthy skank” based on anonymous online comments of unknown credibility?

Frankly, I’d be very reluctant to use such language to describe anyone, much less someone I have never met and have no first-hand knowledge of.

Lady GAGa looks like a huge skank on that basis alone.

Now that is a good example MT, the HIV infected lady could have been raped and got HIV in the most gruesome way. Does that still make her a filthy skank? NO.

It is not right to put a label on someone based on their appearance.

[quote=“s33k3r”]Now that is a good example MT, the HIV infected lady could have been raped and got HIV in the most gruesome way. Does that still make her a filthy skank? NO.

It is not right to put a label on someone based on their appearance.[/quote]
OBTUSITY! BEGONE FROM THIS SACRED SPACE!
Nobody’s calling that woman a filthy skank because she’s infected. Or from her appearance, either. They’re calling her a filthy skank because she is knowingly exposing other people to infection. It is a shite example.

Well in that case, OFF WITH HER HEAD!

Go get 'em SandyMan ! - Fallacious analogy on MT & OPs part.

OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

[/quote]

In the context of the HIV story, I think Jefferson Airplane lyrics are a better representation :laughing: [covered that is]

[quote=“Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit”]
Keep your head [/quote]
sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ … F40008120A

MT, you’re not even addressing the issue any more. Here’s a woman wantonly committing criminal acts and exposing unwitting partners to a rather nasty affliction.
I guess in your world, crack dealers and suchlike simply need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:

that picture is sexist.

[quote=“s33k3r”]

Is it right or wrong to judge another person based on their photo?[/quote]If you need to ask… :eh: Silly question… Silly, silly question.

what does it mean to “judge”? does my saying a chick is hot or fugly or skanky-looking or jailbait in any way affect her, in the context of a picture being posted on this website? unless she is a member of this forum or a close family member, I fail to see how it matters

that chick is cute, doesn’t look skanky in the picture but what does one picture tell you, but probably done up (thankfully with no Big Eye), still, worth a bone. if you tell me she digs western guys, that just means a better opportunity for me, i dont care if you could drive a tractor between those legs, it’s nothing to me who came before or who will come after (no pun intended)

i haven’t shed light on anything except my own semi depraved thought processes. now if my decision would somehow affect her, that would be different maybe?

[quote=“sandman”]MT, you’re not even addressing the issue any more. Here’s a woman wantonly committing criminal acts and exposing unwitting partners to a rather nasty affliction.
I guess in your world, crack dealers and suchlike simply need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:[/quote]

How the fuck do you know that? Do you know this woman? Have you ever met her? Have you ever discussed the situation with her? Did you ever ask her if she has HIV or is hte OP actually the one with HIV? Do you know that she even exists? Do you know who is the anonymous OP making the statements about her? Do you know that he’s not a convicted pedophile, delusional, psychotic, compulsive liar. . . from Canada? Are you willing to stake your reputation and refer to someone, even if we don’t know if that person actually exists, based on the some anonymous online gossip spread by someone you’ve never even met? I guess in your world, anonymous online crackpots like that just need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:

[quote=“s33k3r”]Lately I’ve been observing how easy it has become for some people to develop a sort of god complex by looking at other human beings in plain disrespect. For example, if someone is born with four legs, is it right to make fun of him? I would say no.
How can one judge a person by simply looking at that person and then decide whether that person is good or bad? That’s just not possible.

Is it right or wrong to judge another person based on their photo?[/quote]
The whole Indian Marriage industry is based on this so is online dating…ofcourse we judge based on pics. It is not the basis that we judge on, that is wrong, it is wrong that we judge. But we do. That said, I am a very good judge of people :wink:

Holy shit. After actually reading the thread posted about the HIV+ woman tricking her BF into sleeping with her knowing that she could be the cause of his death I have to wholeheartedly agree with almost everyone on that tread. She not only deserves the title of Filthy-Skunk, but also double-crossing, heartless bitch if you ask me. My condolences to the BF, does anyone have an update on whether he came clean or not.

MT,…WTF! Really,…WTF? Are you trying to pull me from the wall into the gutter here? Bad example,…bad example!

Bringing this back to point. After seeing a photo of someone and drawing up first conclusions about that person, which in my opinion lately are never positive, would you tell the person to their face of what you really think of them? This is my point.
How can anyone tell who a person is by simply looking at their picture? You can’t. Only after learning more about this person, one can draw up an accurate opinion about someone. Right?

Sandman, thanks.

everyone makes judgments - they’re called opinions as in IMHO - from the first moment they are made aware of someone, the judgments can get adjusted as more is known, but to say it is blanket “wrong” to judge someone from the start based solely on looks is silly

you make a guess based on appearances, if you get more info later, you adjust your opinion, that’s all there is to it. if you’re opinions are irrational, emotional, jumping to conclusions, etc, so what, that’s your opinion, as long as it doesn’t affect that person

what i gotta censor myself and feel bad about my own initial opinions now? fucking thought police, i didnt realize the calendar stopped at 1984 on forumosa

[quote=“s33k3r”]Holy shit. After actually reading the thread posted about the HIV+ woman tricking her BF into sleeping with her knowing that she could be the cause of his death I have to wholeheartedly agree with almost everyone on that tread. She not only deserves the title of Filthy-Skunk, but also double-crossing, heartless bitch . … .

How can anyone tell who a person is by simply looking at their picture? You can’t. Only after learning more about this person, one can draw up an accurate opinion about someone.[/quote]

Ok, so you’re not willing to call a complete stranger a filthy skank based on a photo, but you are willing to do so based on online gossip spread by some anonymous coward you’ve never met and know nothing about, so you have no way of judging his/her credibility. Fair enough. We all have to set our own moral standards.

Would it change your opinion of the girl if you learned the OP had been convicted numerous times in the past decade for forgery, fraud, theft and related crimes and is presently in Taiwan on the lam from authorities back home where he is suspected of child molestation? I’m not saying those ARE the facts. Just saying they could be. You don’t know ANYTHING about the OP do you? Nor do you know anything about the girl other than what the OP said. So, based on that complete absence of first-hand knowlege, are you sure you really want to risk your reputation and credibility (and hers) to call her a filthy skank based on such flimsy anonymous online chatter?