Is It Typical to Keep Maid Passport?

Is it typical in Taiwan to keep the maid’s passport? Now that she is here, I have realized she could grab everything in the house and disappear in an instant. Also, she could just run off in Taiwan.

Should I keep her passport?

You’re joking, right?

It’s illegal to keep someone’s passport.

It’s commonly practiced by Taiwanese, but it’s illegal and unethical. What would you think if you went to work overseas and your employer took your passport?

No.

When you treat her well and pay enough she has no reason to run off …

… Or you treat them just fine and they bugger off after 2 weeks?

This happened to my grandparents about a month ago, we hired a maid to look after my grandfather and she bailed on us after a little over 2 weeks. Now we’ve got to wait another 6 months before we can apply for another maid.

As for the passport thing … it’s pointless anyway. The ones who run away to work illegally will do so with or without their passport. When the time comes for them to head home, they turn themselves in and get a free plane ride home.

But employing someone doesn’t mean they can’t leave at any time.

Hire a Taiwanese maid, they are more expensive … and can stop turning up any time too

So find a maid that WONT run off. Keeping his/her passport is not only illegal, it is not what you want done to you. Even with all the morality and legalities aside, come on! Treat him/her right and s/he will want to stay. Do it right. Enjoy the relationship among all the family and workers. You will rest easy and so will the help.

It is standard in some countries in Asia, like Singapore, to keep the maid’s passport and it is not illegal.

I already had a local maid here in Taiwan run off with the key to my house a couple of months ago owing me money… and the key is not cheap either as it is electronic and it must also be replaced. Changing the locks already cost me money.

Anything is possible, anyone could run off regardless of how well they are treated.

Is it typical?

Your paranoid, not a person to have a maid … do it yourself, it will save you you money and worries.

This is Taiwan and here it’s illegal to keep a persons passport, you could always move to Singapore

[quote=“tango42”]It is standard in some countries in Asia, like Singapore, to keep the maid’s passport and it is not illegal.[/quote]It’s illegal in Singapore too: poea.gov.ph/Country/taiwan.htm
Also Article 57 of Employment Services Act says:

[quote]As for employment of Foreign Worker(s), Employer shall not engage in any of the following:

8. Illegally withholding the passport(s)/ residence certificate(s) of Foreign Worker(s) or embezzling belongings of Foreign Worker(s); [/quote]

Considering it’s illegal and you could get in a lot of trouble, isn’t that enough ? Noone here will give you advice on breaking the law.

[quote=“tango42”]It is standard in some countries in Asia, like Singapore, to keep the maid’s passport and it is not illegal.

I already had a local maid here in Taiwan run off with the key to my house a couple of months ago owing me money… and the key is not cheap either as it is electronic and it must also be replaced. Changing the locks already cost me money.

Anything is possible, anyone could run off regardless of how well they are treated.

Is it typical?[/quote]

Clean your own house and cook your own meals. Is that too much to expect?

Thanks for the legal pointers and website references.

Wow, some really morally-perfect people here who can cast a stone about a simple question. Glad I asked.

Have you thought about chaining her up, Tango? No need to worry about a slave doing a runner if it’s well chained up.

Actually, she is definitely one of the best paid, well treated, and lives in one of the best places in Taipei.

Maids are people too!

[quote=“tango42”]Actually, she is definitely one of the best paid, well treated, and lives in one of the best places in Taipei.

Maids are people too![/quote]

You didn’t make that clear in your previous posts … I guess most of us know that maids are people too …

We’d love to have a maid. Maybe a hot saucy one like on TV, but not that Nanny woman.

Pervert … :smiley: goodmorning jd …

Yea man, if its illegal in singapore you DONT want to break it there. Read up on that American kid who broke Singapore law…