Is it worth it?

It hovered around 70-73 for a few months. Mostly, it’s been around the 50-60 mark. It’s been about 38,39 since Brexit.

Jesus 70-73!
What was Britain sellling that time golden minis?
Or was Taiwan just completely bust…does not compute.

Numbeos stats are quite accurate from my estimation usually…but they can skew if only a few contributors or in strange cases like Taipei city which as we know is missing millions of lower paid people in New Taipei City and Taoyuan.

well … I don’t think exchange rates really have any basis in physical reality. Nothing changed the day of the referendum, but the pound dropped 20%.

Anyways, it’s time to start looking for a job paying NTD :slight_smile:

I’m amazed that there’s a market outside of Taiwan for such things.

and this thread while making me feel miserable and mocking the society I am living in(and choose), still makes me laugh…

There might not be…Icon works for the propaganda office right :slight_smile:

Icon…do people actually buy Taiwanese dramas overseas?

Wow, I feel for you. I hope you’re well compensated for torture like that. Wait…there’s actually an export market for Taiwanese dramas? It’s hard to imagine anyone who’s not Taiwanese (of a certain age) having any desire to watch a Daigi soap. The only thing they have going for them is that they’re slightly less insipid than the variety shows.

Sarna con gusto no pica, y si pica no mortifica

Si senor!
mucho gracias

1 Like

This is true. Unfortunately women tend to get paid a lot less in Taiwan. Also the chances for a couple to both have 100,000 ntd monthly incomes is miniscule in Taiwan , but for both to have 5000 euro/mth incomes in Dublin is something much more realistic.
A lot of stuff tends to balance out.

I guess this explain why I am here even though I know i am not happy! 4 years in the IT industry here and 71k/month explains exactly what’s wrong here. But like you said, I am not sure if not here, then where?

You’ve got to mix things up if things aren’t increasing. It’s just the small pond we are in. 4 years might sound like a lot but I did ten years before scoring equal pay to west.
Do not recommend that route myself.
Look around for opportunities now in Asia if you don’t want to head back to West. But I’d advise to not take another job in Taiwan now unless its offering a REAL stepchange in your career or your personal circumstances dictate this.

So I thought… until I checked the Torrents. If they copy it/plagiarize it/Torrent it/share it illegally, it is hot property, meaning, people like it. Moral of the story: don’t knock it until you try it.

Just shows you that there is a market for everything. In the words of the people BUYING the stuff: the content is refreshing, it is an elixir in a media full of violence. I am quoting verbatim. Of course, compared to narco dramas, I’d rather take Taike stuff. Koreans, well, are not my cup of tea, thank goodness, and get torrented a lot faster than the speed of sneeze.

Second moral of the story: you have to think outside the box when it comes to being proactive and getting out of the work rut

Third moral of teh story: there is a market for everything

1 Like

I got to agree with @Brianjones here! 100,000 NTD income requires elaborate and extensive kissing ass for a period of 9 years (average local Taiwanese). And then hoping against hope that your supervisor acknowledges that he was ass kissed , enabling you becoming a supervisor , when you can expect 100k NTD.

TSMC/MTK/Google/Yahoo(may be) are the only IT companies in my mind that could offer 100k with less than 7-8 years of experience (and if you do get a chance to work there, be prepared to see your soul dead because you will be working from 9 to 10 , often on Saturdays). So, like @Brianjones said, chances of making 100k in Taiwan is much less than making 58,000 Euros in Ireland.

Of course there is. They call it The News here, though.

1 Like

But the Taiwanese dramas are violent. Somebody’s getting slapped or pushed out of a car like every five seconds. There’s this one guy that gets slapped so much I’m convinced he must be getting hazard pay. Oops, now I’m making it sound like I actually watch the soaps… But I guess in terms of gun murders, they’re pretty mild.

Yea I think for cost of living they are pretty accurate for big cities.

The stat about 2/3 of Irish households taking home less than 58,000 Euro is based on this: http://www.nerinstitute.net/download/pdf/neri_research_inbrief_income_dist_feb_2014.pdf

Back in my youth, Brazilian and Colombian soap operas were the greatest hits. Awesome stories, great quality productions. It was not the usual “poor girl falls in love with rich guy” corny fantasy tale. Last ones I tried to watch were bullet fest, rapes, murders. It used to be a bad soap opera where the evil relative plotting to separate the lovers. Now there is the evil cartel leader plotting and killing and getting away with it. Too realistic.

What I see of Korean soap operas -they show clips on the news- make them look too silly/conceited/unrealistic for my taste. Like current Chinese movies, all decadent luxury overload. I mean, US comedies went just as far as to make you think someone could pay a decent apartment in downtown New York on a writer’s salary. Makes you think that when you see Al Bundy: he had a home and supported a wife and two kids on a shoeman’s salary. There is just so much you can stretch reality.

its brutal. it hasn’t really shifted at all since brexit happened, i’ve basically told myself its permanent now to prevent further disappointment. since i’ve left the uk the only benefits i had(strong pound and passport) are slowly being taken away!

New Taipei City and Taoyuan have their own data, besides Taiwan in general gets decent contributors. I think Taipei has more than 1k.

If these numbers are accurate then I guess European tax rate is just really really high.

I don’t think that is true, at lest not true for the majority of people.

Gallup puts Taiwan well ahead of Ireland for median household income at purchasing power parity. That is based on a random survey of 2000 households in each country. : http://www.gallup.com/poll/166211/worldwide-median-household-income-000.aspx

According to this report - based on public stats - average household income in Ireland is just over 40,000 Euro: Household Income Distribution in the Republic of Ireland | NERI

Whereas according to this report - also based on public stats - the average household income in Taiwan is just over 34,000 Euro. National Statistics, Republic of China (Taiwan)

Adjust for purchasing power and 34,000 in Taiwan buys more than 40,000 does in Ireland.