Is life here getting easier?

i’ve been thinking about something a lot lately, and I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed as well.

let’s all take a stroll down memory lane and think about our first days, weeks, months in Taiwan. For me, it was one hell of a ride. I was on the plane here during 9/11, and 4-5 days later Typhoon Nari swooped in. Granted, most of Taipei was ok, but I was in Shijr on Da Tong Rd. staying with my boss. it was hectic to say the least… flooding up to the 2nd floor and no water, electricity, or telephone for almost 3 weeks. after that mess was kinda cleaned up, I was thrown into a classroom without any training. i can’t remember how many times i was downright frustrated, lonely, aggravated, annoyed… couldn’t find a bloody thing to eat except beef noodles which always made my stomach churn. i practially lived at the internet cafe, keeping in close touch with family, etc… took me about 6 months to make friends. it was rough even though i came here with no expectations. everyone i know who has been here as long as me, or longer, can relate to the initial frustrations. i specifically remember the language barrier being a huge issue with me… interfered with my ability to trust doctors, dentists, etc…

Now, almost 4 years later I’ve come across a few 21 something year olds who are just sliding right into life in taiwan… no difficulties whatsoever. i don’t get it. no culture shock, no aggravation… and i don’t think i came here with any less of an open mind/naivety as they have… it just strikes me as bizarre… anyone else observed this? is it suddenly becoming easier to live here with all the new developments (warner village, more western restaurants, the increased availability of western goods)?

i swear to god i have a zillion and one bizarre stories i could tell about my years here… and these fresh outta uni folk seem to fit right in, have no problem going with the flow, and never ever ever seem to be struck by the oddity of certain things.

[quote] is it suddenly becoming easier to live here with all the new developments (warner village, more western restaurants, the increased availability of western goods)?
[/quote]
Out of all recognition. I don’t know how sudden its been, though – it seems to have been sneaking up pretty continuously, at least since I’ve been here, starting from the abolition of the Garrison Command. Hooray! No more squads of grunts with M-16s raiding the bars.

I remember taxi wars and Chen sway bien’s stormtroopers raiding pub after pub, and soldiers on the bridges.

I don’t know if it is easier now though, because there are even more choices to make.

It used to be that there were a handful of places to go hang out and drink beer and be with other foreigners. Now there are multitudes…good and bad. What hasn’t changed is the ease of getting around and finding nice out of the way places, nor has the “newness” of Taiwan faded at all. I went by a homemade sausage shop in Sanxaia the toehr day. very cool. Gross. But cool.

If being more convenient makes it easier for people to adjust, then I think that’s a good thing. Maybe higher quality teachers (my line of work) well be willing to come on by and stay for a while.

I’d say Taiwan is still changing on the upswing.

One word: MRT.

It has made an enormous difference in the ease of life in Taipei.

But there are other factors:
Greater availability of things from the West.
More foreigners per capita than before.
The internet, and things it can provide (like Forumosa!)
TV, with more English channels than before.
More reasonable visa regulations.
More cosmopolitan outlook by Taipei residents.
Greater enforcement of traffic rules, restaurant cleanliness and other quality-of-life regulations.

And for people who stay here a long time, their own increasing ability to communicate in Chinese makes their lives increasingly easier here.

God! Would that that were true. :blush:

Bushibanned, you’re practically my Taiwan twin. I got here on August 24, 2001. When I got here,

-Almost everything was still on dial-up

-Internet cafes were pretty hard to find

-Jello could only be had by trekking to Tienmu Grocery (rest in peace) or Florida Bakery.

-English book selection was lukewarm, depending on what FNAC or Eslite felt like ordering in…anything popular was out of stock for weeks at a time.

-Most taxis were the rundown Toyotas that were barely above the road.

-There was a field across the street from Warner Village.

-There was no Death Star on Ba De Rd.

• Ba De Rd. was also known as Patch Rd. (imagine being here for only three weeks and having to find a party happening on Ba De Rd. near an OK and only seeing a sign for Patch Rd. and a Circle K nearby)

-Bus signs only came in one language and it wasn’t the one I’m typing in now. Buses also didn’t have those handy scrolling marquees telling you the next stop (or any announcements either).

-You could count the number of Subways in Taipei on your right thumb.

-Taipei 101 was knee-high to a grasshopper…and meant to stay that way due to concerns of becoming the next 9/11 until the government suddenly had a change of heart (cough, cough, hong bao, cough, cough)

By the way…

How come the MRT doesn’t go to Panchiao, Hsin Peitou, Mucha, Shindian, or Tamshui any more? :wink:

it’s pretty wild, isn’t it… how much taipei has grown, developed, just gotten better in the past 4 years. i barely noticed, really. i have a few friends who have been here almost 20 years and I can’t even imagine the things they talk about.

is it becoming a fad to come to taiwan? i’m now working with 3 just outta uni kids who have recruited about 15 of their mutual friends… “this is Becks… my best friend since grade 5…” :unamused:

i remember spending almost 8 bucks american for a pack of fig newtons in tienmu… now, it’s been about 3 years since i’ve had any need to go to tienmu…

It has become more convenient in the past four years that I’ve been here. Now I just wish they would get their act together and get the rest of the damned MRT built? How long would it take in a normal city? It seems like they’ve been working on the extension of the blue line FOREVER! :unamused:

About as long as here based on how much time a similar system in Vancouver has taken.

You want to see drawn out construction? Go watch them build a road up in the Yukon. It’s not cause of the elements they work on, and work over, the same kilometre patch all summer. :unamused:

God! Would that that were true. :blush:[/quote]

[quote]
sandman
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes[/quote]

I didn’t know modesty was so becoming of you sandman :wink:

No, but I am :wink:

No, but I am :wink:[/quote]

Like mother, like son :smiling_imp: :wink:

No, but I am :wink:[/quote]

Like mother, like son :smiling_imp: :wink:[/quote]

Ya can talk about my brother, my dog, my sheep even, but… my mother :astonished: My mother is 67 years old. :noway:

Damn, you were talking about my Catholic school mother, ah, that’s ok then. Damn Penguin. :raspberry:

Has got a lot easier. Can now get wine, cheese, a selection of beers…

Believe it or not, the traffic in Taipei City has got better (!)

Prices have gone up slightly and wages have stood still, but then so has the tax rate. I used to complain that beer had gone up, but it turns out I’m comparing drinking tins of Taiwan Beer in Top with bottles of imported English Ale in Carnegies. Not exactly the same thing…

The number of good Chinese traditional restaurants has decreased, but I have found more good Japanese places to compensate.

Rents have also stood still. Overall the wider availability of home comforts makes the place more livable IMHO.

Less teaching jobs and the rates have not gone up much.

[quote=“Chris”]
But there are other factors:
Greater availability of things from the West.[/quote]

Yes, more Kentucky Fuckin’ Chicken shops and Mickey D’s and less diversity…

I understood your point but offer up a covnerse opinon, especially since most of what you posted was Taipei-centric.

For the benefit of people planning to come to Taiwan, always remember:

There are two Taiwans: Taipei

and the rest of Taiwan…

For the larger cities, but head on over to the east coast and it doesn’t seem to be the case - yet…

And all of the filthy lucre Chunghua Telecom extort from anyone unable to get the Cable alternative.

Juxtaposed to equally high population density areas such as Korea and Hong Kong - Chunghua’s services suck.

But much higher rates and less diversity of programming. FEWER English channels outside of Taipei.

When Taiwan actually had competing cable companies than the regional cable mafias - there were a wide array of channels with much more diversity.

Now it’s all pretty much the same shit on every system, with the odd channel not carried elsewhere (like the 5000 people in one corner of Taipei who can actually view Star World on cable, versus the 20+ million rest of us who don’t get the English Star World network to watch English programming, just the OTHER Star networks).

Cable companies no longer listen to their subscribers and subscribers have no say in demanding they carry a channel. Channels randomly and regularly get switched around and changed with little to no notice.

It’s worse now, actually, but not as bad as life before cable.

[quote]More reasonable visa regulations.[/quote] :loco:

Depending on what country you come from.

This has always been the case. It’s hindsight, of course. Regardless, “more cosmopolitain” doesn’t always mean “cosmopolitain” by itself. Taipei - sure, but go south… It’s not there yet. MORE of it, but not really IT.

Again, in TAIPEI.

In the rest of Taiwan - fat chance. The further south you go the worse it gets; inversely if you get off on lawlessness and f’n people over then that might be a good thing…
:astonished:

This is a given in any country. The more you learn the more quality of life you can earn, and thusly - hardly really qualifies to a Taiwan-specific category.

Changes I’ve noticed, good or bad:

Homoginization of businesses. Ma and pop shops going south and chain stores taking their place.

A diversity in beer at the convenience store.

There was a time when Blue Ice and Taiwan Beer were about as diverse as you got. Now, hell, I can cover a lot of ground with six beers.

Inversely, some of the Japanese beer and Tsingtao Beer has been poisoned for “local tastes.”

I can now find LIGHT BEER. Sadly, it’s owned by the John Birch Society-sympathizing whores at Coors.

The China beer craze: first the poisoned versions of TsingTao, then Wujing and Kingway making inroads but have since disapepared (Tsingdao remains, while the others were not poisoned “for local tastes.”).

24 hour Welcome markets in regions that didn’t even have supermarkets! That’s always nice.

More children drinking milk that is not Klim.

Missionaries who can’t get by by bribing locals into church with free Klim and candy and had to turn to offering “free” English lessons (as in: sit through our dogma for a few hours and you get a lesson).

No more Smackdown! on tv, but more WWF/E pay per views on DVD and VCD.

Fewer English subtitled programs on Star Mandarin Movies. It used to be almost 99%, but once DVD struck they slowly moved onto Chinese-language and Chinese computer subs. Some offer both English and Chinese computer subtitles, but more and more cooler, older films don’t.

Fewer Taiwanese films being produced now… Most that do get produced have more foreign financing.

Liquor prices got cheaper.

Less obvious film piracy as more night markets clamp down on pirate VCDs and DVDs (everybody moves to the net).

Acer breaks off into Ben-Q.

Seven Eleven offering bien-dan. Later, Seven Eleven offering a more diverse selection of bien-dan!

I could ramble on. I won’t.

As someone who has always lived in what Ric Flair correctly called the rest of Taiwan off and on for five years. I’d say “no.” Some people have it easier when they first come here than I did though. I didn’t know how to take to a bus for months…this could happen anywhere when you can’t read or speak the language.

As for the bit about internet cafes being hard to find. My first apartment was within walking distance of three in June 2000 so I think that’s just a Taipei phenomenon as I’ve always had trouble finding one there whenever I go there.

Western products are definitely more accessible but it’s still a matter of knowing where to find them. However I’m comfortable eating a lot of Taiwanese food. I remember throwing a lot of what the boss bought me away when he wasn’t looking as eating hot food in scorching weather didn’t sit right with me back then.

Be sure it’s easier … when i came first to Taiwan, the MRT were still pitts in the street. So were the sewers … open and stinky …

The road from Sanxia to Taipei along the river was one big garbage dump.

I had to drive to Tianmu twice a month to buy groceries and therefor spending a lot money, BTW for some stuff you still need to go to Taipei or have it delivered.

Movie theaters were old and dirty and we had to stand up before the movie started and the national anthem was played.

Now it’s cleaner, Taipei is a lot more cosmopolitan and going to the movie is alot better. in the big city.

A haircut is more expensive though … but more professional.

Now they have SPA’s for cars …duh? And a belgian eatery :laughing:

we can go on and on … definitely life is easier to live in Taiwan … and I guess even easier in the big cities.

[quote=“Ric Flair”] But much higher rates and less diversity of programming. FEWER English channels outside of Taipei.

When Taiwan actually had competing cable companies than the regional cable mafias - there were a wide array of channels with much more diversity.

Now it’s all pretty much the same shit on every system, with the odd channel not carried elsewhere (like the 5000 people in one corner of Taipei who can actually view Star World on cable, versus the 20+ million rest of us who don’t get the English Star World network to watch English programming, just the OTHER Star networks).

It’s worse now, actually, but not as bad as life before cable.

No more Smackdown! on tv, Fewer English subtitled programs on Star Mandarin Movies. Some offer both English and Chinese computer subtitles, but more and more cooler, older films don’t.

I could ramble on. I won’t.[/quote]

All these programs you can have. I get a different Star Movies Chinese but with English subtitles, even for the older films.

Time for you to get satellite TV… :smiley: :smiley: Smack down doesn’t compare to the UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship imho…

Well, I do happen to live in Taipei!

Taipei is where people live; the rest of Taiwan is where people visit! :smiley:
(I’m kidding, of course.)

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
All these programs you can have. I get a different Star Movies Chinese but with English subtitles, even for the older films.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure you’re getting the same one, though you aren’t watching as closely.

4 years ago they were 99% English and Chinese. Now it’s down to 90%, but that 10% is the cooler, older flicks. Once thsoe flicks seem to make it to Hong KOng (not Taiwanese) DVD then they get a new print (probably taken from the DVD masters) and no English subs. Not all, but some none the less. Long Shong is going this route too.

These were films I caught with English and Chinese subs on the same channels before, but not anymore.

I have no idea if my apartment would allow me to rig something up.

UFC is ass, imo. In fact it is interesting to see how “Ultimate” Sports are aping professional wrestling more and more by the day, and poorly. Why watch third rate promos when I can be entertained. If I want “reality” I could watch amature wrestling or boxing!

Not a big fan of shoot fighting or the jocks and homocidal maniacs that populate the pugilist side of it.

What are hte specs for getting Satelltie set up? I live in a studio apartmetn and while i could have a dish near my window, I am on teh 2nd floro and doubt I would eb allowed to stretch cables to the roof.

Then again, I’d want Satellite for TNA. WWE aren’t my cup of tea.