Is MA a Top Secret Communist AGent?

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003565899

President Ma was born in China. Is he instituting a policy of allowing a massive wave or chinese settlers coming to TAiwan?

One way of kicking out the Philippino and Thai and Indonesian laborers.

But those are heavily controlled and can be removed from Taiwan. But Chinese settlers will be impossible.

So is Ma really a Top Secret Communist Agent out to turn over Taiwan to the Chinese without even so much as a whimper ?

An influx of low-skilled immigrant workers from China? Why does Taiwan need that?

:unamused:

With all due respect to President Ma, who I think did an OK job as Taipei mayor, he wouldn’t be able to execute a complex plan like this even if he wanted to. Is Ma working toward unification? Yes, and his party – and the ROC constitution – admit to this in varying degrees. Is he trying to “sell out” Taiwan? I guess it depends on your definition of “sell out,” but I would say no, not really. I don’t doubt he wants Chinese citizens to be able to come to Taiwan to work, but there’s nothing conspiratorial about that. I don’t really like Taiwan’s tendency toward protectionism in industry and labor.

Also keep in mind that Taipei Times is very heavily green and made a big fuss over ECFA, opening to mainland tourists, and yes, even direct flights to China. Think of it as the Fox News of Taiwan – any dirt they can possibly dig up on a KMT administration they’ll exploit for all it’s worth. (Although I’m sure other papers would do the same during a DPP administration.)

God bless the dirt diggers. Without them, scum in high places would be able to do as they please, and no one would know until too late.

So from what I’ve established about this investment agreement so far; it doesn’t permit those Mainland China people to work for anybody. Only for the business they’ve established. And they need about 300,000USD.

I read somewhere that there are investment visas available to UK citizens, but the cost is 1m GBP, or about 1.5m USD. That’s 5 times the amount. Doesn’t seem fair?

[quote=“bumclouds”]So from what I’ve established about this investment agreement so far; it doesn’t permit those Mainland China people to work for anybody. Only for the business they’ve established. And they need about 300,000USD.

I read somewhere that there are investment visas available to UK citizens, but the cost is 1m GBP, or about 1.5m USD. That’s 5 times the amount. Doesn’t seem fair?[/quote]
Ah yes but KMT Taiwan IS a part of China…or did I miss something? :wink: It seems that many Wealthy Taiwanese property investors (including Politicians,I suspect),would benefit from an influx of wealthy Mainlanders.All those empty “investment” properties were bought with more than just a “hope” they may go up in value.Several big property investors in Taichung are just waiting for the Mainland Chinese to start buying and raise values,even higher.Wonder how many Senators have “investment” property?.
I thought,like many on Forumosa,that buying luxury property in Taiwan was a crazy idea…now it all begins to make more sense,sadly the super Rich get richer and the poor can’t buy.Feel sorry for the average Taiwanese housebuyer. :2cents:

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2013/06/29/2003565899

President Ma was born in China. Is he instituting a policy of allowing a massive wave or chinese settlers coming to Taiwan?

One way of kicking out the Philippino and Thai and Indonesian laborers.

But those are heavily controlled and can be removed from Taiwan. But Chinese settlers will be impossible.

So is Ma really a Top Secret Communist Agent out to turn over Taiwan to the Chinese without even so much as a whimper ?[/quote]

His father was surer to be one. Did he raise his son to be one? Likely so. Chiang kai-shek complained many times that too many communist spies had hidden in his run-away party when they escaped to Taiwan.

In order to join the modern society, Taiwan should not favor Chinese over other ethnics in investment programs, etc.

True that China gave Taiwanese many favors over others, but that was a political move.

We don’t need more Chinese in Taiwan.

Certainly not another million or two.

PS, Ma wasn’t born in China – he was born in a British dependent territory. That makes him only the third post-1947 president not to be born in China, and the first to be born in neither China nor Taiwan. By all rights, it should have no impact on his ability to govern.

Just thinking of the Manchurian Candidate.

It’s not a secret, really.

He’s acting in the best interests of China. There is only one China, after all.

I agree with you on this. With his Harvard education, he is still a one-mineded suppoter of political authoritarianism and Chinese fedual mannerism. No enough western influence can wash away the wicked and incompetent molecules running in his blood.

Hokwongwei: don’t brother to tell Ma that printlessfoot scorned him here. He has no clue what moledules are. HIs core is an 18th century Manchrian eunuch. It’s just that he thought he was modernized learning a few catchphrases of the three people principles.

The minimum investment amount split among three people is only 100,000USD per person.
100k is not ‘investment’. It’s peanuts. Visas are basically being sold for 100k each, and it will only make life harder for Taiwan’s working class.

[quote=“bumclouds”]The minimum investment amount split among three people is only 100,000USD per person.
100k is not ‘investment’. It’s peanuts. Visas are basically being sold for 100k each, and it will only make life harder for Taiwan’s working class.[/quote]

Last week the photography industry was complaining about it, saying it’ll put them out of business and make life harder. taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003565771

The problem with that is that the photo industry here is 5 years behind the rest of the world, using old technology, offering limited services and not interested in quality and value. They deserve to go out of business, or at least get their arses kicked into gear, and if opening up to Chinese is the way that does it, they only have themselves to blame.

I don’t know if other industries are the same but if they are, perhaps they should be looking at their own business practices before blaming the government or China or whoever else they can think of.

I’d much rather not have to deal with mainland Chinese businesses but if they can provide services I need when Taiwanese ones can’t, then they’ll be getting my business.

Increased competition and investment would benefit most people in Taiwan.
I’m not sure how easy that’s going to be for newcomers.

This scheme is probably mostly about making it easier and more attractive for Chinese people to buy property in Taiwan, a bit like the 10% gift tax revision a few years back.

This is because that’s all the KMT and elite really care about at the moment, getting more money from land and property.

[quote=“cfimages”]Last week the photography industry was complaining about it, saying it’ll put them out of business and make life harder. taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003565771

The problem with that is that the photo industry here is 5 years behind the rest of the world, using old technology, offering limited services and not interested in quality and value. They deserve to go out of business, or at least get their arses kicked into gear, and if opening up to Chinese is the way that does it, they only have themselves to blame.[/quote]
Thanks cfimages - that’s an interesting article, although perhaps not in the way those interviewed intended. Two “complaints” from that article stand out:

So those evil investors will get more advanced equipment, and pay more for better quality. I think those interviewed inadvertently made a better argument for Chinese investment than the government ever has!

There was also this one.

If you don’t wish to make changes, you can hardly complain when someone comes in who has made them.

[quote=“cfimages”]

The problem with that is that the photo industry here is 5 years behind the rest of the world, using old technology[/quote]

What new technology you have that they don’t?

[quote=“printlessfoot”][quote=“cfimages”]

The problem with that is that the photo industry here is 5 years behind the rest of the world, using old technology[/quote]

What new technology you have that they don’t?[/quote]

What??? What are you talking about?

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“printlessfoot”][quote=“cfimages”]

What new technology you have that they don’t?[/quote]

What??? What are you talking about?[/quote]

Actually, I’m pretty curious about what you were specifically referring to, as well. I agree in general that competition is a good thing, and many local businesses are being supported not because of quality but because of dominance.