Is Michael Turton worth following? [Blog ENDED - September 2018]

I agree. But let`s call a hack, a hack then. Not a serious, studious, or balanced pundit.

Do people consider the Taiwan News or Taipei Times a valuable must-read international paper? Of course not. They are mouthpieces. Not something Taiwan studies or international pundits should take all too seriously.

If you are comparing his blog to these rags, then I am in full agreement.:smile:

1 Like

Is there even such a thing as a balanced pundit?

No need to be balanced, but if you are a one-trick pony and interpret every event through the same lens and filter, it gets too predictable and uninteresting.

1 Like

He’s been doing that for 15 years already.

Not too different from many Forumosans.

1 Like

Don’t you find that comforting? Knowing exactly what a poster’s position will be on any issue before they’ve posted?

On here, sure. But for politics blogs? Even pro-green blogs don`t have to be so knee jerk. J Michael Cole is a lot better of a writer, IMHO.

Turton’s blog remains dormant, but his irrepressible writerly persona returns with this deadpan piece posted at Ketagalan Media, allegedly filed from Beijing by “Loiters” (LOL):

Guy

1 Like

tensions are always at an all time high for him.
he’s gotta find a way to release those tensions

1 Like

Mocking the approach of news wire pieces about Taiwan (esp by “Loiters”—LOL) seems to be part of his way of coping.

Enjoy!

Guy

1 Like

Very interesting article a few days ago by Turton. Whatever one may think of his knee jerk green politics, and I don’t think much of them and often take the piss, when he doesn’t go into politics too deeply, his articles are a lot better. In this case, the injustice of spousal visa processes in Taiwan.

The government’s refusal to create an alternative visa mechanism is not a COVID issue, but a problem of deep bureaucratic indifference, incompetence and racism. I’d like to marry my girlfriend, a Filipino migrant worker, and have her move in with me as my wife. In most countries this would be a matter of paperwork. In Taiwan it’s not possible.
Notes from Central Taiwan: Kafka and do nots: A visa tale - Taipei Times

He knows some stuff about Taiwan, but his takes on China are often cringe. A step above expat bar chat

Very interesting that he is dating at his age…thought he was married with kids, pets etc. down South…What a stud muffin. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, I seem to remember him being married with kids. Guess that didn’t work out. Well, the third time’s the charm. Wait, I guess this is just round two.

I’ve heard of the man but have no opinion about him or his opinions. Your posts about him are increasingly reading like some personal issues you have with him.

I don’t like your tone.

Not in the least…Thought the article was a good one. His website on Teaching in Taiwan goes into a lot of family advice an shares a lot of info-- used it when I came to Taiwan.

Certainly reading the article above, having read original posts and websites that are so family centric going back a while, is what happened?

I apologise. You know him well-enough to comment on his family life and call him a studmuffin with smiley faces.

I wasn’t aware of that and I apologise.

1 Like

No worries mate. Don’t know him at all, and have often criticised his politics big time. But he has made a significant contribution with his Teaching in Taiwan webpage (and less so with his blog :joy:). In other words, often took the piss and criticised his politics, but always appreciated his teaching advice to others and his travel commentaries…but based on his family commentaries in the former teaching website, which are helpful to foreigners considering moving to Taiwan with family, just curious about the change in later mid life…guess I shouldn’t be so nosy. :innocent:

I read the article earlier not realizing it was him, who I don’t know, but the article seemed a bit infantile and uninformed to me and I just brushed it off as such even after re-reading.

Anyway, if Taiwan started letting OFWs change their visas easily for marriage or whatever, it’d be a mad rush for them trying to get to Taiwan to do such a thing.

I think I’ve even heard the Catholic priest talk about this subject and give advice on ICRT on Sunday mornings as it comes up so frequently.

Edit: but I do sympathize with his plight.

I’m uncharacteristically defensive at the moment regarding anonymous comments about people’s family members and private lives. Please forgive me