Is "morely than" commonly used?

Sorry, I don’t where this question actually goes, but here it is:

I was watching a Monyt Python sketch yesterday. They were talking about how “Nation fought nation, but no nation fought nation [color=#400080]morely[/color] than . . .”

Is that still a commonly used construction in modern British English? Just curious ‘n’ all. Over on this side of the pond, we’d say such a silly thing in this way: “No nation fought nation moreso than . . .,” or simply, “. . . more than . . . .”

Not that it matters. Not that there’s anything WRONG with that.

Oops, I mean on the side of the pond I was on a couple days ago.

No HC it’s not used at all. Just a bit of Python silliness.

Yeah, it doesn’t even sound like English!

Kids tend to say ‘morely’ when they want to say ‘somebody +verb+ed some more’ sometimes. Usually only very young kids.

It’s morley safer just to say more.

I’m glad to hear that I won’t be hearing that any morely. :doh: Thanks for setting me straight!

Edit* Woops! I forgot that Divea is still signed in, but it is I, Housecat, who made this post and this edit! (I’m hanging at Divea’s crib at the moment–very cool! But I think I’ll sign out and back in again now.)

See, here I am! (And no, I did not see any moderatorly stuff!)

Moderatorly stuff is actually quite boring. We usually just exchange recipes. But it’s morely than less boring than The Great Unwashed (the Teeming Millions).

housecat, what’s with your hidden impulse versus Python. First it was “Wuthering Heights By Semaphore”, and now you’re on about “Ypres 1914”.
Next you’ll want to catch the Ewen Mcteagle Sketch,
youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_iWPnjtCI
or in fact, The Society.
youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]housecat, what’s with your hidden impulse versus Python. First it was “Wuthering Heights By Semaphore”, and now you’re on about “Ypres 1914”.
Next you’ll want to catch the Ewen Mcteagle Sketch,
youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_iWPnjtCI
or in fact, The Society.
youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M[/quote]

Hmmm, I thought I was impulsing quite openly. Thanks for the fab links, Gingerman! :wink:

Moderatorly stuff is actually quite boring. We usually just exchange recipes. But it’s morely than less boring than The Great Unwashed (the Teeming Millions).[/quote]
Hey I resemble that statement! I wash at least once a month, sometimes twice if there’s a lunarly eclipse :raspberry:

At present, Google finds just 418 instances of this phrase, with this thread at the top of the results.

My best friend’s dad showers once a week whether he needs to or not! And that is NOT a joke!