Is NHI insurance mandatory when you already have other insurance?

Hi everyone,
I am planning to move to Taiwan. My visa will be eligible for NHI. However I will be working remotely for an overseas company and my employer can provide a very good international health insurance. Do I still need to pay NHI premium? Is it mandatory when you are not working for a Taiwan employer and you already have other insurance? Thank you!

I don’t think you have a choice - as far as I know, once you’re eligible, it’s obligatory. It’s pretty cheap though - NT$826 per month if you don’t have local income.

4 Likes

Thank you Andrew.
What I am not sure is that if the income from the overseas company will be considered Taiwan income. Actually I think it will be, because as a tax resident, I will need to pay tax on my salary. That means the insurance premium will be calculated on that…I just did a self calculation according to NHI site. Unfortunately, the premium will be a very expensive number.

if you are a tax resident, you have to pay nhi. it’s another tax.
it will be roughly 150 usd for a 3,000 usd monthly salary. not that expensive.

1 Like

NHI doesn’t seem to consider foreign income earned while physically in Taiwan as Taiwan-sourced income. (If you know otherwise, that would be a useful data point.)

my answer was that he has to pay it if he is a resident. if it turns out to be the minimum payment and not the 5% premium all the better for him.

1 Like

Yeah, obviously he has to pay, like I said as well. I was querying your calculation based on the info OP provided in their first post.

Also, it’s not really coupled to tax residency - at least until a few months ago, it would be entirely possible to be tax resident without being eligible for NHI, and it’s still possible to be eligible for NHI without being tax-resident. The requirements for the two aren’t (/weren’t) really related.

It is indeed mandatory. I went thru this many years ago in fact, forced to join the system and pay up in back fees which I wasn’t happy about.