Is now the time to buy a Dopod?

And according to a friend of mine that works for the company, when you buy a chinese version and change the firmware to english you can’t/won’ get serviced in Taiwan … :astonished:

And according to a friend of mine that works for the company, when you buy a chinese version and change the firmware to english you can’t/won’ get serviced in Taiwan … :astonished:[/quote]

Not correct. The firmware change works perfect here. I bought the CHT 9000 under the O2 XDA Trion name in HK with a German soft, let it change to UK version and it rocks and even Chunghwa does not give my headache :slight_smile: .
As saids in another tread, it is my 7th Phone but the best investment ever done.
I did compared, red articles all over and falled on my knees for that Dopod derivate. It rocks. (but the sound could have been slightly better)
By the way “Stuff” the geek magazine gave the 9000 CHT a 5 tumbs up . the best in his category. :notworthy:

And according to a friend of mine that works for the company, when you buy a chinese version and change the firmware to english you can’t/won’ get serviced in Taiwan … :astonished:[/quote]

Not correct. The firmware change works perfect here. I bought the CHT 9000 under the O2 XDA Trion name in HK with a German soft, let it change to UK version and it rocks and even Chunghwa (Zhonghua) does not give my headache :slight_smile: .
As saids in another tread, it is my 7th Phone but the best investment ever done.
I did compared, red articles all over and falled on my knees for that Dopod derivate. It rocks. (but the sound could have been slightly better)
By the way “Stuff” the geek magazine gave the 9000 CHT a 5 tumbs up . the best in his category. :notworthy:[/quote]

Serviced is not the same as service, when it’s broken and you changed to english you don’t get serviced in Taiwan … you have to send it to Singapore or something and I thought when I remember correct that he told me that the warranty would be invalid or something.

Anyone want my Dopod 838, I will sell it dirt dirt cheap. Make me a semi-reasonable offer. Mine is 100% Englsh version so all software works without strange characters popping up. Send me a PM.

Nokia manage to sell thousands of expensive phones with names which are nothing more than number strings (not exactly the height of originality or marketing brilliance).

I think sensible people look at what a device can actually do, rather than assessing its usefulness according to whether or not it has a euphonic name.

Question is, Hobart, WHY are you selling it?

Just bought the CHT9000 on Tuesday. Love it, best phone ever. I got them to put in English, and no problems with service. I asked about the warranty, it is the same for the Chinese version. Any problems they told me to take it back to Dopod Taiwan for servicing. It is a legal English version of MS Mobile 5 installed, they gave me the orginal install disk.

MotorcycleRider, Could you tell me where you were able to get the English version, and how much it cost and what kind of service package you got for it (i.e. how much a month)? Thanks!

Paid 21,000NT unlcoked phone, they said would have been cheaper, but I had to pay 1,500NT extra for English OS license. I didn’t sign up for any new plan. Used my old number and SIM card, which I pay a $150NT minimum a month. I bought a GPS with it, works great. I bought it a shop close to GuangHua Market. The place is called Fat Lizard Computers at #6, 2nd Floor on Hsin Sheng Road, Section 1. They have several stores around Taipei. Here’s their number:
(02)2321-0241. I didn’t really bargain the price, cause they promised to install extra English software and set-up the GPS for me. You might be able to talk them down to 20K.

Is the GPS in English too?

Yes, but depends on the maps you use. The software and interface is in English, but the map of Taipei I have on it, all the street and place names are in Chinese. If I load maps of other places it will be in English.

I installed MapKing with English maps for Taipei, kaoshung and another city on my CHT9000. Works perfect even in the middle of the city.

NOW is the time to buy a DOPOD. They just launched 5 new models some 10 days Ago.
Dopod goes in attack mode in the PDA phone segment. There is something for everybody.

how about the ipod?

ive got the moto e6. i got it for the touchscreen, symbian, and chinese-english input.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]how about the ipod?

ive got the moto e6. i got it for the touchscreen, symbian, and chinese-english input.[/quote]

Euh, what has the Ipod to see with the Dopod?
For sure the e6 is Ok, but not windows based PDA as the Dopod range here.

[quote=“ceevee369”]NOW is the time to buy a DOPOD. They just launched 5 new models some 10 days Ago.
Dopod goes in attack mode in the PDA phone segment. There is something for everybody.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. The Dopod C720W (HTC Excalibur) looks interesting and has Blackberry capabilities. There’s also an HTC Cavalier model coming soon which is an improved version of the Excalibur line with faster CPU and maybe better camera. Compared to the Dopod CHT9000 (HTC Hermes) I’ve been considering the screen and keyboard are a bit smaller but then so is the whole phone.

I bought the CHT9000 a few days ago after reading this thread to see what it was all about - it’s an incredibly versatile device but I found it too complex for my needs right now. There is a lot to be said for having a touchscreen Chinese Dictionary + phone + unlimited 3G internet + bluetooth navigation all in one package. I can recommend this phone with one caveat - be careful what you install on it. Windows Mobile 5 is finicky and the wrong program can wreak havoc on things.

If someone wants to buy mine, it’s in 100% mint condition with everything included in the box,unlocked, includes a 2GB memory card, a case that blows away what’s included, and a much better set of headphones than what are included (soft in-ear as opposed to the included earbuds). English or Chinese, your choice - just let me know. Dropped to $16K NT. I live in Taipei and can meet at any MRT stop or you can come to DaZhi to pick it up directly.

I am interested in the CHT9100, however i’m told it is only available in Chinese. I also notice in all other countries in Asia they sell the D810 which is the same device but with English language installed, but it seems it’s not available here… what to do ?

Anyone know if the interface in the Chinese version (CHT9100) it can be change to use English even if still using the Chinese OS?

You’d want to look here:

wiki.xda-developers.com/index.ph … TC_Trinity

I still haven’t bought one. What do you guys think about O2? Does anybody have the Dopod M700 or D810? What is your impression?