Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

Sayonara :smirk:

That would make sense, but just out of curiosity, are we blocked? @GooseEgg @tempogain

There are some situations in which a written contract is required, but the starting point of labor law is that a contract is a contract, written or oral.

As I keep saying though, you can’t legally work without a work permit or a work permit exemption.

Well, since you’re here, yyy, what do you think I should do?
Stick with the $41,000 nt job in Taiwan or go to China where I’ll be able to save double?

Suh-weet! I am special! Mama always said I would be special!!

Oh. Wait. I think she meant a different special.

As I’ve said, I don’t advise anyone to work illegally.

Should Itsmeee try mainland China? @discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Most likely

1 Like

There you go! :grinning:

You should try. That doesn’t mean you’ll like it, of course. But stranger things truly have happened. :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

I should warn you though, you have a very high chance of experiencing exactly the same cultural issues that are bothering you now.

I see what you are trying to say, but I have to side with @Itsmee to some degree. When I was first looking for a job some 7 years ago, my wife helped facilitate it. The first over the phone conversation with Joy English (I’m naming names!) she was asked, point blank, if I was black or white and they would not hire blacks from anywhere. No reason given. My first face to face was at Giraffe and I mentioned the Joy bit. They said more or less the same thing except they added that “they do not speak English” and I just got up and walked out. Screw that.

A former coworker aimed his hostilities at all non-Chinese, but reserved a special place for Black Americans. Base solely what he saw on TV.

Racism here tends to be aimed at other Asians, but also at whites and blacks. It exists. Usually with the older generations and those who have not left the island. But I agree it is unfair to say Taiwanese are all racist.

2 Likes

Why would you offer that hell [working in China] onto another being? Push him towards Korea or Japan. Maybe Vietnam.

*her

I’m not offering anything (except the advice not to work illegally in Taiwan). Some people find hell in Korea, some in China, some in America… Some people find hell in Satanic rituals, but it’s all kind of subjective, eh Mr. JB? :wink:

1 Like

Apologies

There is no greater hell than working a techline in the US.

Is china as laid back as taiwan or Is it actually an emotionally cold country?

Apparently not according to this

https://en.greatfire.org/tw.forumosa.com

For what it’s worth, there are a few African Americans and a much larger number of African Africans who have thrived (as they saw/see it) in China. You can look up articles about the African community there, its gender imbalance, the perception of blacks as drug dealers etc., and the challenges faced by those who marry locals and try to raise children in a culture that doesn’t know what to make of them (since they’re not one of the official ethnic minorities).

It takes thick skin to get over the culture shock of moving from North America to any Asian country, and that includes willingness to forgive people for their ignorance about the unknown (which is a two way street) and the things they take for granted because of how they were raised/taught. China is at a disadvantage in this respect, being a developing country.

Emotional warmth and coldness are rather subjective. China is vast, and you can have vastly different experiences in different parts of it, or even by moving in different circles within a large city.

There are also the well known reasons not to move to the mainland (which is what you have to call it – you’ve already been to one province, after all), like air pollution and food scandals, but I assume you already know about those things.

1 Like

Korea is highly competitive and i definitely can’t get a job there (i tried), japan is expensive, vietnam- the offer they made didn’t seem too appealing. They wanted me to do a demo IN VIETNAM then they’d decide if they wanted me and it was only slightly easier to get a job than korea.

Any other Asian countries you recommend? I’m gonna do my research too. Just curious about your opinion

May I ask why you are intent on staying in Asia? I have heard that the Czech Republic pays really well for teachers. More than Asian countries AND can be cheaper to live in. Eastern Europe isn’t that bad. There is also Serbia and Bosnia. I would not recommend Croatia.

Et tu, Mr/s. Y?

Internet. You forgot internet. Mr Xi is cracking down on VPNs.

Oh im not intent in staying in asia. I heard Czech Republic is hiring but didn’t think much if it because i dont think i have the experience to be hired for it. I’ll research the other 2 places.

Also, i dont know gow to go about finding those jobs. Do i look for a recruiter? If so, where do i find one?

Im gonna send you a PM. Don’t be afraid.