Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

Ok. And if u can, tell me about Turkey while you’re at it. Thanks

You have a TEFL cert, yet your posts seem riddled with grammatical errors. Are you a native English speaker?

How long a post did you want me to write?

You won’t catch me working over there. The air pollution alone is a dealbreaker, as if there weren’t other serious issues.

I was typing quickly and on my phone because i was heading to work

100% agree. Schools pay less, because there are someone work for them with the less pay.

If they have degrees related to education in addition to tefl.

Considering the starting salary of locals with similar qualifications, I’m not sure that just being a native speaker is worth 65000 starting pay.

Nope. 65,000 starting base salary with a bachelor’s in any field is very common. Never take a School’s first offer. Push and negotiate. They won’t offer that at first. They are hoping for a sucker to bite. Schools need you, don’t underestimate that fact. You need to go in with the mindset that they need you, you don’t need them. I know dozens of teachers who got 65000 or higher + bonus with a degree and no TEFL, myself included. I got in at 65,000 and have worked my way up to over 80,000 at one job. Get in, work hard, don’t make waves and you can get that kind of money.

Private elementary schools are the ticket. If you have more qualifications, great! Negotiate 80,000. No licensed teacher should take less than 75000.

1 Like

it was blocked when I lived in China.

:disappointed:

I guess that Taiwan is the English teachers’ paradise: they make more than typical mid level manager just because they deserve it! :smiley:

English teachers have been overpaid for decades here but now their salaries are not necessarily what they used to be, so they are getting super angry. “Taiwan needs better salaries”, they say, when they work half time for making double the average qualified worker here. Basically there was a bubble and may be someday it will burst. The next one could be SW developement, especially mobile devs.

To the OP they are paying you about half what they should be. If I was you I’d be looking for another job here. As a rule of thumb the jobs that reject applications on the basis of race are doing you a favor: only a truly s**t school would evaluate a teacher on the basis of race. Therefore that kind of regection saves you from wasting time considering that kind of ‘school’ . There are also good employers in Taiwan and in China that pay good money for a good job, and that respect the diversity of English speaking countries. Imagining that its going to be better in eastern europe could be hit n miss.

2 Likes

25 pages, double-spaced. Spelling counts and in the MLA style.

So, you think I’d be ok if i went to China? That’s my biggest dilemma now. I keep hearing stories of how scammy and cold the people there are.
I dont want to hop from the frying pan into the fire

If you had a job with a good salary at a decent school before you leave, then I would consider it an option. Otherwise I wouldnt. I definetly wouldnt just go there without a job. yes, out of a small safe frying pan, and into a big bad fire.

2 Likes

So don’t go to China? It’s really that bad?

Then safety is a factor too. Is china more dangerous?

personally i would not rule china out, but i definetly would not just hop on a plane and figure it out when you get there. id only go if i was hired first and the pay was 100,000 nt or more per month, and the school was reputable.

1 Like

And im getting 41,000$ nt :frowning:

dont worry about it. just start looking for the next job, youll be fine.

Ok. I guess i’ll stick with the low paying job…

80k per month is crap money for a fully qualified elementary school teacher from the western world.

Also remember no pension. No training. No union. No career path. It’s shit.