Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

look on www.tealit.com

1 Like

I assure you it’s not how I speak

1. Walk in with confidence and look professional.

2. Have all your ducks lined up and ready. (paper references, degree, certifications, resume, etc.)

3. Know the schools in the area, the competition, and what they are paying. (call and ask or apply just to find out)

4. Be courteous and polite, but remember THEY need YOU, not the other way around. Don’t sound or act desperate for a job.

5. Offer them icing on the cake, sugar talk…how much you can do for them. How much stability they will have hiring you. Tell them, with confidence, that you are a worthy investment.

6. If they don’t budge, don’t be afraid to say thank you and walk out.

3 Likes

Yeah I did not get that, especially 80k, this is like 2300 euros, pretty good unless you come from countries such as Australia. But then what matters is the cost of living here anyway.

I am a Black American woman who has been in Taiwan for a month and am starting a new job.
During my interview the owners asked if I would be ok with making 41,000 nt’s for 22 working days (6-7 hours a day) and I said yes.
After research I have found that this salary is very low. I have not signed a contract yet. How can i ask for a higher salary without seeming pushy?
I commute an hour to the school and I have found that I will probably be working 4 days a week.

That is roughly 260 nt per hour. That is garbage.
600nt per hour or no deal.

Read my post in your other thread to know how to do it.

1 Like

Tell them that you have been offered a higher paying job elsewhere - say 60k a month. However, you really love the school and want to work there. Is there any way that they could increase their offer? You might get them up to 50-55k. It’s going to be a struggle, though, because you’ve sold yourself so cheaply to start with.

Having said that, low paying schools tend to be crap to work for. Even if they increase their initial offer. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and be prepared to walk. You’ll be surprised how often the rate gets increased as you’re walking out of the school.

2 Likes

Please don’t start a second post… My goodness

Two threads about this… really? … are you sure you’re being underpaid? Maybe you’re being overpaid.

2 Likes

What are your qualifications? And how much teaching experience do you have?

I was an esl assistant teacher for 5 months in the United States.
I have a bachelors degree and a tefl certificate

Drop the assistant part. Nobody needs to know that. What you should be saying is, “I taught ESL for half a year in the States.”

They are not going to call and check.

Bachelor + TEFL + esl experience = you are taking a piss poor job if you go for this one. Spend a week looking and I bet you can find a much better job at a private school that pays near double what you are being offered.

2 Likes

Yes, do try the private schools.

Retrospectively, you should have done this before you left your home.

I hope you now know the difference between regular schools and buxibans=cram schools.

Everyone is saying you to look for a position at any regular school which needs to fill some vacancy urgently.

If your choice is a buxiban, you need the fbi background check. & if you cannot get your work permit by the end of your stay permission, I think you need a visa run before you get your ARC.

Visa run?
Edit: Nevermind. I know what it means now.
And this is the second job I’ve had here in Taiwan.
The first I made more at but was chaotic, rude, racist (i’m not throwing the term around)and notorious for switching teachers throughout the school year. I learned this later.

Yea, and there is a bucket load right now on tealit, including Washington high and Yu Jen in Taichung, Chung Hwa in Kaoshiung, Wagor in Taipei and Keelung Fu Jen. all advertising for last minute urgent type type positions.

2 Likes

Those are the diamonds, the gold nuggets, the prime opportunity to get axactly what you want. The school is desperate because the year has already started, parents don’t want subs into the 2nd quarter. It causes people to start pulling their kids. It is the worst scenario an owner or director or principal could face. If you can apply for one of those positions, the bargaining chips are stacked completely in your favor. You can pretty much get whatever you want.

2 Likes

While Brian’s at the gratitude store, should he also buy a thank you Lord for not making me a woman?

2 Likes

So, I’ve been fired for nicely asking for a raise

Wow.

Can you give more detail? Feel like there’s more to this story.