Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

Usually, family, friends, colleagues, friends of them, I think. But I often see some posts on available rooms in this forum too.

1 Like

And how about this: though i’ve been hired in China and will be working a tourist visa, how about i apply to another chinese job tomorrow, get hired and have them apply for my z visa. In a month, when the visa is ready i will quit the one i’m at illegally and go to that school.
I’ll use the money i made to fly to wherwver that city is and work the job i really want- legally!
How does this sound?

It sounds crap and my impression is you are not ready to play that kind of game, but it’s your life. Only you can be the responsible party.

Ohhhhh, sorry… “SECOND day.” Well, that’s fine then. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You were never legally hired, so whether or not being let go should be considered being fired is an interesting question.

Btw is Sandra still your agent?

So, were you not paying attention when it was said I was being paid half what an American teacher typically makes?

How much was it per hour?

I made $65 usd’s per day for 7-8 hours

How much NT per hour? I mean the job in Taiwan.

Im not sure

Perhaps we can learn several lessons from this.

1. Don’t work illegally.
  2. Don’t take a job without knowing the salary in local currency.
  3. If you do either of the above, expect problems.
2 Likes

on the SECOND day.

2 Likes

Ohhhh, right! Oops, haha. If nothing else I hope OP learns how to be a bit more… diplomatic.

1 Like

I told you to pay attention to details before criticising others…

1 Like

It’s crazy that some people believe you deserve the same salary that you would get from the western world. The cost of living is so much lower in Taiwan, plus taxes are significantly lower.

If you can’t live off a 60K+ salary in Taiwan, then maybe you should reconsider your living budget. If you want to make more money and make a career out of this, get some experience first. Get a teaching license down the road to work at private/public schools. It’s sad that people come here and expect super high paying jobs with little experience. Especially in a field where foreign teachers come and go so quickly.

Now, I’m not saying don’t fight for more money, 41k is really low for the English teacher job market. Try to at least aim for the job market average. $550 per teaching hour is the bare minimum. $600-$700 is more the standard for newer teachers.

2 Likes

Well no, $133/h or $21k/m or whatever they’re raising it to is the bare minimum, but that’s only if you’re working legally.

Put yourself in your bosses’ shoes.

An employee that you hired/giving a trial run, comes 40 minutes late on their second day (assuming they came on time the first day, so they already know the route to school) and then after the day is over, asks for a raise and gives personal reasons for said raise.

Would YOU give them a raise?

2 Likes

Precisely.

New teacher. Late on the 2nd day by a significant amount (I hope you at least called ahead of time to let them know you’re late). Asking for a raise already. These are huge red flags for your employer. Keep in mind your boss has to deal with parents all the time. What do you think the students are going to do when they get home? “Oh, the new teacher was late 40 minutes to class.”

If I was a parent sending my kid to this class, I would be pretty mad. Your boss is probably cutting his/her losses before they compound.

Though she had to be at the school by 11:45, the class starts 1pm.

That’s her excuse.

Students hadn’t gotten there yet