Is paternity test recognized by Taiwan law?

If I take a paternity test in Taiwan, will it be recognized by law that I am related to the other person? For example, can I use it to prove family lineage?

Does anyone know a good lawyer who might be able to help with this?

I’m asking because although paternity test is close to 100% accuracy, I’m not sure if it will be acceptable to use in place of a birth certificate in Taiwan.

I’m trying to claim tax deduction for dependent and they won’t accept my birth certificate. They are asking me to go to the hospital from 35 years back (in a country without computers) and find the original hospital copy of the birth certificate, rather than the ‘正本’ copy they gave me (which other countries all accepted).

Feels like I am stuck in a bureaucratic loop and need some legal help.

3 Likes

it wont work, since this test is not part of the documents in the tax authority’s SOP.
They have a list of what documents are acceptable for that deduction, and i bet that DNA testing is not there.
you could go to court, and eventually the court might order them to accept it, but my guess is it will take you 3 years in court and a few hundred thousands in fees, much much more than any deduction you will get.
best course of action is to negotiate with them what other documents might be acceptable.

Do you have a reference? The tax code says proof of family is needed, and a paternity test proves that and is admissible in Taiwan courts. It doesn’t say a birth certificate is required.

Yes I’m willing to go to courts over this but I’d self represent to save on fees

No reference, just experience with how the system works. Consult a lawyer or tax professional, it might work.

1 Like

I will check with a lawyer, but from what I’ve read from family act and Taiwan legal code, paternity test is permissible in courts as evidence of family relationship.

Here you go!

1 Like

Paternity test done, results in 3 days. They asked for reason and seemed familiar with paternity test for immigration purposes (they had a template). If it’s good enough for immigration to get a parent into Taiwan, it should be admissible for all government related things. Otherwise, I’ll see them in court!

I admire you for standing on your priniciples, but just how much will this tax deduction be? is it worth it to go through all this trouble?
Can’t your mom/dad get another document saying you are their son?

I think the principle matters more than the tax deduction. The paternity test cost about 20k. Of course if it goes to courts I’d sue for much more to get media attention and make them lose as much face as possible.

The tax lady for some reason thinks my proof of bank transfer, parent’s passport, and Chinese birth certificate aren’t enough proof. They don’t accept any kind of Chinese birth certificate documentation. When I went to the straights to try authenticate, they said they don’t recognize my document because it’s too old. They’re just making up rules on the spot.

If you naturalized in the USA as a child, won’t that paper show your parents identity?

My birth place is in China, so they want to see Chinese documentation, even though it’s impossible for me to enter China and haven’t entered since I was a toddler. The tax officer didn’t give me any other options to prove parent child relationship.

1 Like

I understand that, but if I remember correctly, your family immigrated to the USA or Canada. When you got your US/CA passports, you were a minor, hence there could be an American/Canadian document saying that you are the son of Mr and MRS XYZ . Perhaps this will work.
Anyway, good luck.

1 Like

I have a notarized document from UK, Canada, and US proving parent child relationship but it’s not accepted. I guess because they’re derived from Chinese documentation which they don’t accept.

If you want to go through the cross straights foundation it needs to be initiated China side, the office in Taiwan won’t do anything until they receive notification from the China side.

Got the paternity test results

Next step is to get a Taiwan court ruling that recognizes the parent-child relationship under Taiwan law

1 Like

How did you do a paternity test if you are in a different country to your parents? Did they send the sample via international mail?

1 Like

I guess both he and his parents sent samples to the same testing centre.

My parents came to Taiwan under a non visiting relative visa (immigrations also denied the Chinese birth certificate and wouldn’t allow parents to visit). Took some effort and it’s only a temporary no extension short visa.

The test doesn’t require blood sample, so you could also mail DNA samples but it might not be as accurate if it’s not fresh samples. They took 10 swaps from the cheek from each person for the test.

1 Like