Is "payed" acceptable?

Probably shouldn’t reply to something you didn’t
understand.
Repeat: Lately, I have seen “payed” used as the past tense of “pay” (in the sense of giving compensation for something). I wonder if this is becoming acceptable?

1 Like

No.

The people who wrote that are dumb.

4 Likes

Feel free, which is what I got paid to write it.

2 Likes

When dealing in work that isnt actually related to editing/grammar in a country, or with a person, where english is a secondary language; just dont bother correcting them, unless they asked for help with English. No one likes that vegan friend posting facts about food production when not asked for. Same goes for grammar lessons. This goes both ways. Most people take it as insulting (loss of face), regardless if your point is correct :wink:

I’m in NY. She’s American, has a Master’s degree and teachers ENL.

Please tell me i didnt just catch the grammar guru making a booboo. But slower probably is good advice :slight_smile:

I think you caught sarcasm. Throw it back. It’s too small.

2 Likes

Sounds likes shes bayting you than…

Look, eye make mistakes here all the time. Usually it’s bc I think faster than I can edit while typing. It’s embarrassing. But payed for?

It’s not like she’s using urban vernacular, such as “conversate.”

It just wrong.

It is wrong, absolutely. But if she is educated in the art of English and cares about this word, there are 2 scenarios i can see plausible.

1. Its a ploy to get together…sometimes English scholars are fairly retarded when it comes to sociology…

2. She is an innovater/researcher type of mind and is pushing boundaries on word usage that us commoners wont fully comprehend.

1 Like

or C)

And she should be docked 1/2 day’s pey.

1 Like

If its professional, sure. If its emotional, she should get double due to extra effort in causing what is now an obsession haha.

I don’t understand many of your posts.

1 Like

I think payed used properly relates to boats being moored or summat

I give up, what does this mean?

His name is “Sayed”. :grinning:

2 Likes

That makes sense lol

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no, it’s not. It doesn’t even have the excuse of being part of a corrupted verbal dialect like “ain’t.” You literally have to write (or type it out) incorrectly to get “payed.” Even now my auto-correct function tried to change it to “paid” 3 times. Not sure why such a simple thread warrants 40 replies.

If I had a penny for every time someone fell for one of my deliberate bad englishes I’d have enough money to buy a newspaper.

Forgetaboutit

1 Like

Where on Earth are you seeing this? I want specific examples.