Is Penghu smoggy this time of year?

I am once again due for one of my semi annual escapes from the horrid stench of the city but I’d hate to go somewhere that was also polluted. Penghu gets great reviews generally but as it is situated between Gaoxiong and an even stinkier place I thought I’d make sure. I would rent a scooter too but, of course, have no license so that won’t be possible I don’t imagine.

No, why should it be smoggy? It’s an island and has clear blue sky now … in winter it’s windy and cold tho …

But now it would be comparable with the following …

Is the water a yicky brown color like that? I was hoping it would be a sparkling aqua marine.

This ain’t yacky green … this is aquabluegreen and it depends on the depth of the water and reflection of the sky

Anyways, this is Kinmen but it’s the same water.

All water was once other water apparently. Anyway, the water in your second picture is certainly nice water regardless of where it may have been before. Preferring the larger perspective, I am not judgemental…

Not necessarily. Shouldn’t it be possible to create new water through the combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen which were not previously combined as water? Regardless, I would concur that the second water depicted appears to be of a finer quality than the first, but that still leaves unanswered whether penghu is foggy this time of year.

The first picture I used a polarization filter what makes that the reflection of the sky is greatly reduced and makes you able to see through the water. As this is shallow water you can see the color of the bottom. The second picture is made without so you have a huge reflection of the late afternoon blue sky. In fact water has no color and just reflects what’s above or around it or shows what’s below.

Both pictures are made in Kinmen, the other side of the Taiwan Straight near China (6km), Penghu is donk in the middle of it … better air … cleaner water … more wind, smaller in size … better seafood.

Not necessarily. Shouldn’t it be possible to create new water through the combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen which were not previously combined as water? Regardless, I would concur that the second water depicted appears to be of a finer quality than the first, but that still leaves unanswered whether penghu is foggy this time of year.[/quote]

Smoggy … foggy … no it’s not … why should it be, this is not England.

[quote=“belgian pie”]This ain’t yacky green … this is aquabluegreen and it depends on the depth of the water and reflection of the sky

Anyways, this is Kinmen (Jinmen) but it’s the same water.

[/quote]

Same body of water, totally different characteristics.

Kinmen sits within a middling rifle shot of the most polluting nation on earth Polluted river water, coastal eddies bringing that shit out to Kinmen…Yuck. Penghu sits directly in the middle of the Taiwan strait, and thus does enjoy the aqua blue water for the most part that bob seeks so desperately. Bob, the skies over Penghu are clear as anything you’ve seen back home, and the night stargazing equally impressive.

The heavy tidal exchange and strong currents tend to keep the sea/air pollution from either side of the strait away from the place, as well as the prevailing winds. But be warned, it’s hot as hell out there this time of year, with not much protection from the elements. Thing I like about Penghu the most is how different the flora/Fauna is from Taiwan proper.

Don’t expect great underwater vis though…It really varies from island to island. With the shallow mud flats and 10 knot+ currents in places, there is lots of sediment in the water, reducing visibility, but creating one hell of an underwater ecosystem in certain spots. We’ve been trying to get out to Dung-gi island all summer, which is reputed to have the best diving in Taiwan…A pelagic sanctuary and another reason to ratchet Taiwan up toward other Asian countries as a world class diving area.

Desert cactus growing out of dilapidated Chinese ruins…Very cool.

Go to Kinmen for the history, the architecture, etc…But if you want aqua-blue seas, interesting topography, water fun and more than it’s fair share of historical goodies, than Penghu is a must see.

That may in fact be possible but I’m afraid it doesn’t fit well with the “life is a nasty bit of business whichever way you look at it” motif that I am working with these days. Of course a few days on peng hu could well change that. Indeed on my return I am sure I’ll be willing to consider the possibility of other waters, pristine and pure, coming together in a place free of history gastrointestinal or otherwise. Life will once again assume that startling tropical green aspect and framed too against a brillinat blue of sunshine and fishies as forshadowed in MJB’s post above Till then however I’ll make do with mad ramblings at forumosa, Charles Mingus CDs and a dumb refusal to accept the possibilty of other waters.

Little b, I’m going to ask my wife to dig out the address of a cool self-catering house just about 10 minutes by scooter from Penghu.
The house is an old fisherman’s cottage, sleeps 6, a woman comes in the morning, makes breakfast for you and leaves before you get up. There’s bicycles and kayaks for your free use, its about two minutes drive from a golden sand beach, the bloke in charge is a young teacher and Penghu native who left his teaching job in Taipei to return to Penghu and teach. He picks you up from the airport in his van, gets you set up with a scooter, and will take you around the place if he has time. He’s a mine of natural history information and can show you some cool spots.

Thanks MJB.

At this point the plan is to fly to peng hu on a Saturday and return on a Wensday. The wife is sunshine phobic so I am not entirely clear why she wants to go but you can be sure that as she sits luxuriating in the air conditioned splendor of whatever hotel we choose this old fool will be out and about like an arthritic teenager squeezing as much sun, sea and salt as possible into the time alloted. If you or anyone could recommend a nice hotel suitable to these pursuits that’s be great. We don’t need fancy we just need “nice” you know, and quiet, somewhere breezy…

[quote=“sandman”]Little b, I’m going to ask my wife to dig out the address of a cool self-catering house just about 10 minutes by scooter from Penghu.
The house is an old fisherman’s cottage, sleeps 6, a woman comes in the morning, makes breakfast for you and leaves before you get up. There’s bicycles and kayaks for your free use, its about two minutes drive from a golden sand beach, the bloke in charge is a young teacher and Penghu native who left his teaching job in Taipei to return to Penghu and teach. He picks you up from the airport in his van, gets you set up with a scooter, and will take you around the place if he has time. He’s a mine of natural history information and can show you some cool spots.[/quote]

Little b bobette says “Cool!” “Excited?”

No not you. That is what she siad to me. I said “Yup!” Kayaks, motorcycles, golden sand beaches…

:notworthy:

I just called 'er indoors, who tells me she has the bloke’s card to hand. I’ll let you know the details tomorrow. There’s also a website, as far as I recall.

Fabulous. Thanks Sandy.

Here you go little b. Seems Maco has three properties, all in the same area. The one we stayed at was the Ama guesthouse. Basic but clean and very quiet, although we booked the whole place when we were there. The vibe might be somewhat … er … different if the other rooms are occupied by strangers! I’ve linked to the English version but you’ll probably get more info from the Chinese version. I know the English text is somewhat purple but he’s really a good bloke. There’s something very holiday-like about getting picked up at the airport by a guy in a swimsuit with white sand stuck to his legs driving a beat-up old van.
http://love-penghu.myweb.hinet.net/eguesthouses.htm

Thanks again sandy. I’ve passed the info on to the boss so we’ll see what she decides. Looks wonderful to me.

When I mention Penghu to Taiwanese people they often say “Oh yes, the outlying islands are great” or something to that effect but I’m not enirely exactly certain where they are referring to to be honest. I’m guessing maybe Chipei island and perhaps the smaller ones around it, especially to the north of Chipei.

I won’t be diving but am pretty good with a snorkel and fins and would like to situate myself close to the clearest water and best marine life. With what little I know so far I’m thinking perhaps we’ll stay a night in Makang and then head out to Chipei island and do a boat trip or two out from there.

Does this sound like a good plan at all to you MJB, or to anybody else who has spent a bit of time on the islands?

Thanks in advance. :notworthy: