Is punctuality at weddings the city's responsibility?

Original Title: Seriously … is this a city’s responsability?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003308435

[quote]Punctual weddings urged

CNA , TAIPEI
Tuesday, May 16, 2006,Page 2

Advertising Advertising
The first dish was served at exactly 7pm on Sunday at a Changan W Road restaurant hosting a 40-table banquet. The group was the first success in the city government’s ambitious campaign to encourage people to show up at wedding parties on time.

The city plans to give the first 100 “on-time” hosts a valuable gift.

The city has also provided invitation cards carrying the message “We’re echoing the city’s punctuality campaign, and the banquet will start on time.”

Only parties with more than 10 tables are eligible.

At the banquet on Sunday, the bridegroom’s father, surnamed Lo, said that when he learned about the city government’s campaign, he registered on behalf of his son and his wife in the hope that they could take the lead in raising awareness of the importance of being on time at such events.

“It saves everybody time,” Lo said.

He added that he hopes punctuality will become a part of people’s everyday life, and not just at weddings.

The city government actually allows some wiggle room.

Hosts receive a special gift from Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) if their parties begin within 10 minutes of the time indicated on the invitation cards.

The city’s Civil Affairs Bureau officials will keep a keen eye on when registered parties begin to serve the first dish in what is traditionally a 10 or 12-dish banquet.

The officials said that many people feel annoyed by wedding banquets that are delayed by half an hour or even one hour, because they feel that their time has been wasted. [/quote]

Serious now, why should a city be concerned about a wedding banquet starting on time … don’t they have enough other problems to attend to and spend the money elsewhere, on more important things.

Well, this is Taiwan … and we don’t understand its culture … :smiley:

No, tearing down derelict buildings and enforcing by-laws are a city’s responsibility. Stopping people from constructing shacks made out of old doors is a city’s responsibility. But, you know that ain’t going to happen. Mayor Ma would rather make the whole city wifi than clean it up. I suppose it makes sense. With wifi we can all stay indoors all door. No need to go out and see what a mess the city streets are.

Grubby Ma, we should call him. And people are excited this guy is going to be president?

But on the other hand, I’m glad to see at least a token gesture being made to stomp out the evil that is Taiwanese Time.

When I first read about this, I thought it was meant for street banquets, which block off lanes or even entire blocks for hours. It would be a good thing to encourage those to get started on time. But for restaurants? Is this really something we need to be spending taxpayer dollars on?

Those ‘street banquets’ I wouldn’t allow at all, this is the 21th century for god’s sake … there are enough banquet rooms available and I don’t think you need to do it because out of lack of money … :s

The article is a little vague…basically, being on time/promptness is the new “theme” for the Civil Affairs Bureau…so they encourage people to be on time for jobs, banquets, etc…by giving them prizes and incentives…the Bureau keeps rotating themes ever so often…I remember once the theme was to be “courteous” to people and to be helpful to seniors…another time the theme was to pick up garbage and do not litter to keep the streets clean…basically, this program’s overall goal is to improve the overall social awareness/well being of people in general…it was originally aimed at peasants and farmers (the “uneducated” people), to teach everybody to be “nice” to each other and to create a happy society/utopia…the program has been going on for ages…

Couldn’t quite believe my eyes when I saw this.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003308435

Taipei government trying to see to it that weddings get going on time because [quote]The officials said that many people feel annoyed by wedding banquets that are delayed by half an hour or even one hour, because they feel that their time has been wasted.
[/quote]

Well maybe they should take it up with the host.

They are actually going to send observers to weddings to see if they get going within ten minutes of the time on the invitation.

I can’t wait until Ma gets elected president. Then maybe weddings everywhere will get started on time. Are there no more pressing issues?

I think you’re all being a bit cynical and not giving Mayor Ma enough credit for improving Taipei City where it really matters, don’t forget he did ban leaky air conditioners.

Nice to know Taipei is so idyllic now that the wedding police are now able to focus on making sure banquets are punctual.

Give me a break.

Here are some more ‘time’ related issues I’d like Mayor Ma to clear up…

1. How can ‘Subway’ have run out of bread? WHAT ARE THEY DOING?
  2. Why are my students always late?
  3. What’s with that traffic light, you know the one, I always seem to have to sit there for 90 seconds and the junction seems pointless as left and right are just small roads.
  4. How can those traffic guys with sticks actually manage to slow things down? They seem to be paid to help people break the road laws.
  5. Friday night, SunYatSen freeway, near Hsinchu. Why so busy?
  6. Why do some toll booth people take tickets more quickly than others? Couldn’t there be some quota on how many tickets they must collect per hour?
  7. Does lunch HAVE to be at 12:00 on the dot for the whole of Taiwan?
  8. Why isn’t the food ever ready in McDonalds?

You mean there are really parts and times when some parts of the SunYatSen freeway are not busy? Really? I always thought that are legends and fables from the old times. :smiley:

my god if there was a single area of taiwanese life where speed was not a problem i would have thought it had to be weddings.

[quote=“mingshah”][quote=“TomHill”]
5) Friday night, SunYatSen freeway, near Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu). Why so busy?
[/quote]

You mean there are really parts and times when some parts of the SunYatSen freeway are not busy? Really? I always thought that are legends and fables from the old times. :smiley:[/quote]

This one has to wait until he’s president or is he already, he acts if he is tho …

That’s true, pay your entrance fee, fill up, swallow down, have some booze, watch the fashion show … fill up some more, drink a little more, take a doggy bag home, have the thank you candy or cookies, leave … 12 dishes in under two hours … bravo :s